Seat=Ouch!

lcseds

Everyone is different, but I did a 350 mile ride for doughnuts yesterday and I was in some serious rear end pain at the end of it. The reviewers call the seat comfortable. There isn't a lot of chatter here about pitching the seat first thing like all the cruisers. Maybe it's me, but that seat hurts.

Igo

Everyone is different, but I did a 350 mile ride for doughnuts yesterday and I was in some serious rear end pain at the end of it. The reviewers call the seat comfortable. There isn't a lot of chatter here about pitching the seat first thing like all the cruisers. Maybe it's me, but that seat hurts.
Mine was garbage and was tossed almost immediately. I now cruise in comfort on a new Corbin seat.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Yes, the seat is not very comfortable beyond about 150 miles. Many on this site have upgraded to Corbin, Seargent, etc. A Corbin (heated) is on my farkle list.

bish79

I added a beadrider and it helped alot. But still, a heated Corbin is on the list.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This is how I solved the seat problem until I can get a seat ordered. But I need to find a used second seat to either send in or borrow until mine is done. Anybody got one?

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?815-Cheap-Seat-Mod
I saw Chuck's "accessory cushion" Friday and it looks as good (or better) than it did in the pictures. Chuck, I've got to send my stock saddle in for another guy on the Forum but I forgot to mention Friday that I'm going to keep a stock seat. I like the lower seat for around town. So, I'm sending his to Russell, he'll send me his when he gets the Russell back. Then I'd be more than happy to lend you the stock saddle I'll have then.

(The first time we talked about this, I was planning on selling the stocker for what I'd paid Katherine for it; now I've decided to keep a stock seat, and I'll be happy to let folks use it as a loaner.)

BTW, those other seats are good, but Russell is far and away the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on. I had one on two Concours and now on Dudley Deauville. They do add an inch or so to the saddle height.

twowheels2005

After more years than I want to count riding bicycles, I've figured out that most seats are too soft. They feel great when you first sit on it and for short distances, but once you put on some serious miles, your butt is in trouble. The NT seat is actually fairly firm compared to, say, the seat on my Burgman 400, but it still felt soft to me. Depends how comfortable you are hacking into your NT seat, but you can do some of your own customizing. I pulled-off the front half of the cover, cut out a big hunk of the soft foam, glued-in a firmer piece, and then reshaped it close to the original. I tacked down the edge of the cover with an electric stapler and made a few adjustments after a couple of rides, then took it to an upholstery place to restaple it permanently. Much better! At some point down the road I may actually spring for a Russell or Corbin seat, but this is fine for now.

OP
OP

lcseds

I can't do a seat quite yet. have to slow down a bit on the farkle spending. SWMBO is giving me the "look" when I suggest buying something else for the NT. I went ahead and ordered a beadrider though ( a compromise?). Had one on my cruiser and it helped a lot. If it doesn't work out, I will sneak a Corbin order in. Don't really want to send the seat away.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I opted for the Sargent seat. Rode 250 miles in a lunch run yesterday. The seat will need more break in but I can say i finished with no numbness, which I tended to get with the stock seat. Will post a review soon.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Don't really want to send the seat away.

You can get in line for my traveling/rotating seat. Katherine originally bought it so she could ride while a Russell was being built for her. When she got the Russell, I bought the seat from her. I had planned on selling it but have changed my mind. I'm going to keep it to use for short, around town riding. There's one rider who's getting a Russel built in mid-April, so when he tells me, I'll send the seat to Russell, then, when he gets it back, he'll send me his stock seat.

Then I think Chuck Henderson is next in line. I guess I'll ask people to pay the shipping to get the saddle to Russell and also to get a saddle back to me. But since I paid Katherine $60 for the saddle, they'll still be saving money. If you're interested let me know.

taldric

I rode about 230 miles yesterday in 6 hours (lunch took an hour at Dos Okies in Port Townsend because there was no else there so the owner and i had a nice long talk). I was fine with the the seat until the last hour - then I was in serious pain. Luckily I'm heading to Rich's on Tuesday to have a custom seat made. Then we'll see where I'm at!

Bike
Silver NT700V
I bought a seat from Andy Morley and sent it to Sargent for the Premium Foam Upgrade. I believe Motorcycle Larry sell the Sargent also. They were out of stock when I ordered but Sargent said they had received six pans from MCL for the mod.

Having just completed 375 on a day ride I am not unhappy with the stock seat but would be interested in something better. I am wondering about the Russell since it is not shown on their web site. Is this to be a complete custom?

Lorien

bicyclist

I bought a seat from Andy Morley and sent it to Sargent for the Premium Foam Upgrade. I believe Motorcycle Larry sell the Sargent also. They were out of stock when I ordered but Sargent said they had received six pans from MCL for the mod.
Thanks, Chuck. I wonder whether they do ride-ins. I'm only about 900 miles away from them.

I'll be interested to hear how you like yours when you get a few miles on it. I have Corbins on 2 other bikes and find them very heavy. Since the bike is a pig, anyway, I don't want to add unnecessary weight.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I'm the one that is next in line for Phil's 'loaner' seat.

I was OK on the stock seat for 2-3hr rides. Longer than that was not good for me. So, am getting a Russell.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I couldn't find a picture of an NT700V saddle in Russell's Sport Saddle gallery. But here are a few pix of mine. You have some options -- material, stitching pattern, backrest, heated (?? -- I don't understand this one; my butt has never been cold). And you send them pictures of you sitting on your bike, with feet on the ground and with feet on the pegs. Each seat is made to fit your measurements and your preferences. So, yes, I guess you'd say that every seat is a custom. Russell builds theirs on stock pans. I don't know if it's still true, but Corbin's pans in the past have been way, way heavier than Honda's stock pan, so you'll be adding quite a bit of weight if you were to go with a Corbin.

I like the look of the Russell. I am curious how much front to back movement you have. It is one of the best things about the stock Honda NT seat ( and one of the reasons I really disliked my ST seat).

Lorien

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I am curious how much front to back movement you have.

I've probably got 6" or so. It's just about right for me. I imagine you could ask for more. It is, after all, a custom seat.

Top Bottom