seat

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You do know that the latch release for the seat is on the inside of the left pannier, don't you?

After I unlatch the seat I usually have to bump it backwards with my hand by popping it on the area that steps up to the pillion area.

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
I've been thinking of covering all my bases if my left side pannier latch ever decides to break.

I am forever taking the seat on and off to remove/replace my Airhawk when parked up in public places (they are highly sought after by the less law-abiding in this country). I was thinking of disabling the seat release altogether as the seat is held in place with the black plastic tongues underneath.

Any opinions/ideas on this before I commit myself to a possibly dumb plan?

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I've been thinking of covering all my bases if my left side pannier latch ever decides to break.

I am forever taking the seat on and off to remove/replace my Airhawk when parked up in public places (they are highly sought after by the less law-abiding in this country). I was thinking of disabling the seat release altogether as the seat is held in place with the black plastic tongues underneath.

Any opinions/ideas on this before I commit myself to a possibly dumb plan?
If you were to disable the seat catch it probably would not be a problem as nobody would know unless they saw you lift it without using the key.
FWIW, I would not do it.
As a backup, in case I could not get the LH pannier open (catch mechanism failure) to release the seat I have installed a very thin wire (tie-wire) to the seat release lever and have run it down through a small hole on the LH side of the rear mudguard with a small loop just big enough to get a finger through. If I need to open the seat without the key I can reach up from above the diff to the top of the mudguard and pull the wire with my right hand whilst lifting the rear edge of the seat with my left. Even though I know that the loop is there is is very difficult to see with the wheel in place. Nobody would ever find it as it is so fine and up so high. I have done a few practice releases and it work very well.

Macka

Top Bottom