Seats

Jim

I have recently purchased a 2010 NT. I like it a lot but of course,I need to Farrkle it a bit. Or perhaps what I really mean is to possibly de farkelize. This bike came with a Corbin seat. It is too slippery and hard to suit my comforts. I will be looking into other options for a customized seat. But I'm wondering what most of you think about the stock seat. Especially for 2 up riding. I could also have the stock seat re foamed.

I would be happy to hear all opinions.

Thanks, Jim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Most of us on this forum will tell you the preferred option is the Russell Day Long saddle.

I found the stock saddle OK for a few hours, but after 200 - 300 miles my butt was complaining. I've never had a butt issue since getting my Russell Day Long. I don't have any experience riding on the pillion.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Ditto - Day Long means just that - its as comfy as a living room easy chair. The stock seat is fine for commuting, but not for long rides over 3-4 hours.

As I understand it the Day Long needs a stock seat pan. Also Sergeant's wants a stock seat pan. The good news is that stock seats from an online parts discounter are really cheap -- less than $100 I think. So you can purchase a stock seat, try it out, and if not to your liking, send it to Russell or Sergeants for a rebuild.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What they said. Russell's are wonderful. I had a spare stock seat for a while, but it's gone now.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I think that Sargent does not require you to send in a stock seat. I sent mine in and got $50.00 knocked off the price. I got mine from Motorcycle Larry about four years ago. I like the Sargent and can go 500+ miles with it with no problem. I usually stop briefly every two hours or so.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Motorcycle Larry bought the seats from Honda and sent them to Sargent to make the seat for the NT. The cost of that seat was included in the price. If you are going to work with Sargent directly you will have to send them a seat pan or seat for the NT. I am not sure if you can still buy the Sargent seat from motorcycle Larry. The last I looked they were out of stock. I also have a Sargent seat and find it very comfortable although I will concede if you are riding distances like Phil, Dave and Will that a Day Long is probably the way to go.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, mine was a Russell too. If I ever buy a custom seat again it will be from Russell.

But, you can get by with less if you have a good shop near by. Making a seat is not rocket science, just paying attention to the type of foam and seat shape. I did the one on the Goose myself (but it is not pretty since I am not a great seamstress :) ) and it is good for all day in the saddle.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I went a different route and purchased a Top sellerie deauville seat. Very comfortable.
0620131128.jpg0620131127a.jpg

Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
daler, how would you compare the Top Sellerie seat with the OEM? What options did you get?

Chris
Chris,
I found Top Sellerie seat very good quality, but I had local upholsterer modified back end of the rider's seat due to inability to move in the seat. I required the additional room , because of Helibar installation for more upright position. I had my OEM seat customized by Laam who also does good job.
John

Bike
2011 Black NT700
daler, how would you compare the Top Sellerie seat with the OEM? What options did you get?

Chris
Chris, although I honestly did not have many miles on the stock seat. I find the quality and the comfort of the Top Sellerie to very good if not excellent. And I wasn't aware of any options.
Ride safe, Clint
PS the price was good at $399.00 and I believe that included shipping

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FYI, unless you have had a gel pad before do not believe the hype about them. I have tried gel pads and even put gel in my current seat.

Gel will not do much for a good seat and will make a bad seat only marginally better. A good example of this is Russell seats. No gel, just proper foam.

Now, if you can get the 'real' thermal foam stuff then it is a good solution, but, it is not the cheap stuff sold in stores or the stuff used in mattresses.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
You can make the seat pan shorter, regular, or longer. You can make it higher or lower. Add a BMW heating element to one or both portions of the seat. Gel pad. Stitching and design options.

I think I would go with a shorter seat pan and the gel insert and BMW heating pad.

Chris
Thanks for the information I did not realize there were so many options to choose from. I probably would have just gotten confused. :shrug2: I purchased the seat off Ebay.
Continue to ride safe, Clint

Bike
Silver NT700V
If you have a stock seat, a quick and economical way to go might be Spencer's Great Day To Ride (geatdaytoride.com). He will modify the stock shape and add some superior foam for a low price. the caveat is that he does not sew covers so all shape changes have to fit under the stock cover. I used on eof these on my first bike (Suzuki GS500F) and it was good for 500 mile days on that little bike.

OP
OP

Jim

+1 Unless your are riding long distances you do not need to invest in a custom seat. The stock seat is around $80 and would be a good starting point and will also provide you the seat pan if you decide to upgrade later.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2010/NT700VA+AC/SEAT/parts.html

Thanks to NoVa Chris and Warren. Getting a stock seat seems like the way to go. It gives me a variety of options. Try the stock seat or build a custom seat from the stock pan. My wife likes the backrest on the current seat (Corbin). Does anyone know if Honda offers a backrest for the stock seat?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Many of us have the Honda top box or an equivalent which includes a back pad with them that serves as a passenger back rest. I am not aware of any off the shelf back rest that fits the NT although an off the shelf one could probably be modified to work

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Honda doesn't. Russell offers one for the rider, but not the pillion (at least I haven't seen one). The best backrest for the pillion that I know of is a Givi trunk.

Top Bottom