Secret of the seat?

MarkinJax

New NT owner here... I've had the seat off a few times and have managed to get it re-latched with more than a little effort. In fact, I've had to basically get my full weight on it with a knee. Is this normal?
I've just received a brand new OEM seat in order to get mine redone/upgraded, and I can't, for the life of me, get the new one to 'latch'. I suspect it only needs about another fraction of a millimeter, but I just can't seem to get it. What's the secret???

Mark

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If it is the OEM seat it should go on very easy. From your description I am not sure what the problem is.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Is your battery installed correctly? (Lying on side or standing up?) Seat should slide forward before latching to engage all three seat pan lugs. Sounds like interference somewhere.

OP
OP

MarkinJax

There IS a secret!! When you slide the side 'catches' in correctly, it latches right up.
Silly me.

Mark

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I first make sure the tab on the front/bottom of the seat is seated correctly into the box that's welded on the frame, then stand at the rear of the bike and make sure the seat is centered, then push down gently and the metal latch will lock into the socket! If you skip that first part, the seat won't lock into the socket.

And I'm assuming you haven't added anything under the seat to cause undue contact.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The only other thing to watch is the alignment of the seat with the plastic body piece and frame on the left hand side toward the front. If it gets out of place you can get warm air blowing out on your leg.

I would get mine lined up, check the front piece, then just gently push forward and down on the back of the seat. If you have to force it, it isn't lined up right.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, a few little things to look for when reinstalling the seat.

Latching up a seat shouldn't be that hard. And to think they (Honda) then want you to use that loopy thing to secure your helmet when you get off the bike :)

Top Bottom