Self-Cancelling Turn Signal System

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
No experience with that but I am surprised that manufacturers have not gotten on board with making self-cancelling signals standard on pretty much all models.
I'm pretty old school but I would think it is time for this to be standard equipment. I've had it on a couple Yamaha's I have owned in the past.

Arknt

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Yes, it is surprising that it is not standard equipment. I am sure we all forget to cancel our signals on occasion, and it becomes a safety issue. The Honda Pacific Coast had them and they worked very well.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The PC800 (AKA: "Pacific Coast") had lots of stuff on the very first model in 1989 but they were gradually deleted from subsequent models. Maybe they were only on the 89-90 models? I had a '97 model and it had normal (full manual actuation!) turn signals.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My 1977 Yamaha XS650 had them. It’s obviously something that manufactures can do. Not sure why they don’t.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Like most "features" it boils down to cost-vs-perceived value to potential customers. Would someone decide to buy a brand X bike over a brand Y bike because one had automatic cancelling turn signals?

Most buyers are attracted to features visible from the outside whether or not they make the riding experience better. :)

Bike
2010 silver NT700
The PC800 (AKA: "Pacific Coast") had lots of stuff on the very first model in 1989 but they were gradually deleted from subsequent models. Maybe they were only on the 89-90 models? I had a '97 model and it had normal (full manual actuation!) turn signals.
We only got the 89 and 90 models in Canada. We had a 90 and it had self cancelling turn signals. They even cancelled after you passed a car on the highway. Our 90 was only $3900 with a 3 year factory warranty. As an additional incentive, it came with a gift certificate for 2 nights in a posh Colorado Springs hotel.

OP
OP
Fieroguy

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The big question for me is if it is worth the $150 asking price. Seems kinda steep, but is the technology worth it?

Per their website... "The ST2 Turn System is a small electronic device and the first smart self-cancelling turn signal module that cancels your turn signals after each turn, lane change or roundabout exit. It still allows you full manual control."

What kind of magic is this? I'm assuming built in gyroscopes and accelerometers. Things commonly found in every cell phone or car computer these days. They aren't saying.

What they are saying is...
"ST2 Turn System detects each turn and cancels the turn signal at the right moment."
"It cancels your turn signals only after you exit the roundabout."
"It also detects lane changes and cancels the turn signal accordingly."

I'm usually pretty good about turning off my turn signal, but on the occasion that I haven't, I realize that I am giving the wrong indication to other vehicles and inviting them to pull out in front of me.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I'd be weary about reliability issues...
You'll have to tab/cut into the OEM wiring harness during installation, which is actually creating failures waiting to happen further down the road...

OP
OP
Fieroguy

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
"I'd be weary about reliability issues...
You'll have to tab/cut into the OEM wiring harness during installation, which is actually creating failures waiting to happen further down the road..."

Agreed! After watching a few installation/reviews on YouTube, I was surprised they didn't include a connector so it would be plug and play, especially at this price point. Also, not thrilled with the type of connectors supplied in the kit. Could definitely use an upgrade.

That's not to say I won't buy one. If I do, I'll solder the connections and use shrink tubing.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
"I'd be weary about reliability issues...
You'll have to tab/cut into the OEM wiring harness during installation, which is actually creating failures waiting to happen further down the road..."

Agreed! After watching a few installation/reviews on YouTube, I was surprised they didn't include a connector so it would be plug and play, especially at this price point. Also, not thrilled with the type of connectors supplied in the kit. Could definitely use an upgrade.

That's not to say I won't buy one. If I do, I'll solder the connections and use shrink tubing.
Plug and play would be nice, but from the manufacturers standpoint, the kits would then have to be model specific which increases stocking costs enormously. I'm with you on soldered connections and shrink tubing!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have an ST2 kit that I received from a friend and did get it partway installed on my NC700XD but eventually pulled it off. The problem I faced was fitting those small blocks of rubber into the turn signal switch because on the DCT bike, the left side switch housing is crowded with the additional upshift/downshift switches.

What I did as regards the wiring was create a bunch of short wires with one end mating with the ST2 wires and the other end mating with the Honda wires. I didn't want to make anything permanent, even to the ST2 wires, so my pulling it off was easy. Perhaps a minor problem is finding a place where the ST2 computer can be mounted horizontally level with the ground but I never got that far.

I agree with Mike about the financial reality of ST2 having to market a generic unit that will fit most bikes.

Top Bottom