Sena Headset Question

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It has been quite awhile since I've needed or used a headset. My wife recently took a RV Drivers Ed Class and as part of the training we used used Sena headsets when parking our Class C motor home. Now I'm considering a set of Sena SPH10 Bluetooth 3.0 Stereo Headset and Intercom. We might use them them on the road, in high noise areas, and definitely when manuvering in tight spots. So the question for those of you with Sena brand headsets are you happy with them?

Note: I'm aware the driver, usually me ;) , can only legally cover one ear while driving. I'd just slip the right side off my ear when driving.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Both my son and I have Sena comm systems for our helmets and we both like them very much.

Mike

That's an interesting set you linked. I assume you ride with a half helmet or one of those brain buckets? My buddy has the top of the line Sena. I don't, but I can say one thing that his had that mine doesn't is the ability to plug a charger in while you ride and continue to use it. When mine went dead after 12+ hours of riding on our long days it stayed that way until I could charge it up again. His audio was clearer too. My modular helmet may have played a part in that since it is the loudest helmet I've ever had.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
That's an interesting set you linked. I assume you ride with a half helmet or one of those brain buckets? My buddy has the top of the line Sena. I don't, but I can say one thing that his had that mine doesn't is the ability to plug a charger in while you ride and continue to use it. When mine went dead after 12+ hours of riding on our long days it stayed that way until I could charge it up again. His audio was clearer too. My modular helmet may have played a part in that since it is the loudest helmet I've ever had.
I don't think he intends to ride his bike with the set but rather use it when maneuvering his RV.

Mike

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
hmmm, maneuver the RV...

You may want to try this set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XF9RWNR/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_5pZiEb4N2C25J

2 Units with a lil display. Makes life very easy when setting up or using it, I have used it and they were ok on the bile too.

But if you are maneuvering RV, check this setup.. 2 portable wakie talkies with ear pieces and VOX (voice activated talking). Bonus you can keep in contact over a couple of miles too, cheap, works with any commercial wakie-takies / to way radio... conversation private is not there though.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I assume you ride with a half helmet or one of those brain buckets?
Helmet? I don't need no stinking helmet! :eek: I've got seat belts and more airbags than I can count in my Sprinter... ;)

But if you are maneuvering RV, check this setup.. 2 portable wakie talkies with ear pieces and VOX (voice activated talking)
I have a good set of FRS / GMRS radios. The problem is the voice activated mics stay keyed constantly if there is any background noise. When we used the headsets it was nice and quiet. :)

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Most of the experiences you are going to get back are going to be for helmet applications on this forum, myself included.

Over the ear in most states is permissible. The problem is when earbuds are placed into the ear canal, which is perceived to reduce one's hearing ability.

Sena makes good headsets. Their units can be paired with other Sena headsets regardless of their model. I would highly recommend any of their products.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Most of the experiences you are going to get back are going to be for helmet applications on this forum, myself included.
That's why I asked if people are happy with the brand. ;) The model I'm looking at is the same basic hardware as the "10" Series motorcycle sets.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
That's why I asked if people are happy with the brand. ;) The model I'm looking at is the same basic hardware as the "10" Series motorcycle sets.
I had the SMH10 and currently have the 10S headsets. Both did exactly what I expected them to do. I have used them both for listening to music, voice texting, intercom, and phone calls. I am quite pleased with the Sena product line.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
One of my son's pals from grade school days works as a commercial tree trimmer and they use Senas for ground-to-tree communications which makes sense in their noisy and dangerous working environment.

Deb & I have been happy with our low end, Sena SMH5-FM communicators, approx $250 for a set. We first had Cardos and these were about half-price by comparison. Yup, I agree the range could be better but still happy with them. Mine beeps when we're out of range and it also tells me when the battery is running low.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Thanks for the reviews. I have a couple of months before we'll need them so now the eBay watch begins....

I have purchased and setup a variation of SMH10, 10C and similar Sena products for friends and family. For up to 4 people they work alright, better than ebay dropship garbage of course. Range is pretty low, and they require line of sight in order to send/receive signal. I have lost signal while passing a truck and trailer before, so beware of that. Also, couple of times I ended up connected to random people with whom I never paired with! That happened at a large motorcycle gathering, with many overlapping signals. Sena tech support is very good, operators and techs are US-based and are very good at troubleshooting. The only issues I've had to deal with are C10 camera related, the other comms work like Swiss clocks. Hope that helps

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The short range isn't an issue for my application in a campground. I doubt if I'll ever need more than a couple hundred feet.

I did forget to ask if anyone is using them while wearing hearing aids. I've found some headsets and hearing aids do not play well together. I'm scheduled to be fitted with my new "ears" next week that are Bluetooth compatible. That may change what I need to do...

Top Bottom