Sena SMH10R

Bike
2011 Black NT700
Just wondering if anyone out there is using the Sena SMH10R.
Thanks for any information.
Ride safe and arrive alive. :black1:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It is interesting. That UClear site is not the one where I see the rest of the UClear stuff. UClear Digital is where I find the HBC100/200. Are they the same company?

I agree with the boom thing, and that Sena is good. I have the HBC100 plus just because of the boom thing (every time I flip up my chin bar I congratulate myself for picking the UClear). But, I frequently wish I had the Sena SMH10 control unit. I do love that big jog dial and the good voice menu system, 3 number quick dial, etc.

If not for the modular helmet I'd have another Sena SMH-10.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have the Sena SMH-5 (Cheaper than the 10) and have really enjoyed it. It's been reliable & seems to work well as an intercom playing music and for my phone. Most people have no clue I'm talking to them from on a motorcycle. Speaker placement is critical and makes a big difference.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I think they are the same company. Maybe the Asian branch? What I noticed earlier this year is the UClear bluetooth headsets are all back on BT 2.1. That's many years old. If they are going to charge about the same price as everyone else, they need to update to at least ver 3...which is still several years old and much of the new BT capable gear is coming out with 4.0. So I figure that instead of buying now, I'll wait till Christmas when I expect they'll be trying to get their new product out on the market.

Chris
I wonder if that's why my brother's Sena 20 won't pair with my UClear.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, we did that. About two hours at it using various combinations of things. We'll try it again in a couple of weeks.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Not a problem. When we stopped at Yellowstone last year we sat after dinner and played with the things for a couple of hours, trying just about every combination of things we could think of and that were written at that time. His 20 was brand new at the time and we suspect it may have had some issues. I have done a firmware update since then and he has had at least two so will see on this next trip if things have changed.

elizilla

My husband and I have the Sena 10s. They work pretty well for intercom. With or without earplugs, high and low speeds, they work well for communicating. It takes them 60 seconds or so to pair, when you turn them on, but they do eventually do it. Sometimes one of us has to push the big button to kickstart the pairing, but I'd say 3 times out of 4, they pair on their own if we are just patient. The batteries last a long time when they are just used for intercom - even if you forget to shut one of them down and leave it on overnight, it still works in the morning.

He has paired his with his phone and it works pretty well, although he reports that sometimes Siri simply won't call out when he wants to. Seems to get stuck thinking he's asking for a google search rather than a phone call. That's probably either user error or a Siri problem though.

I've been refusing to pair my headsets with phones for YEARS now; my position on that is that I want to get away from phones when I am on my bike; people simply don't need to be able to reach me everywhere! So I can't report on how it might work with android.

I tried to plug my MP3 player in to it, but it didn't work the one time I tried it. I was probably just doing something wrong and I will have to troubleshoot it some more at some point. I read the manual but frankly all the different options where you tap varying numbers of times for different things, are hard for me to memorize, and obviously I can't reread the manual while riding. It will take time.

I had my old Autocom setup working great for music and I miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Katherine,

Same experience here with the 10's.

I pair my headset up to the phone for two reasons. First and foremost is music, or a book that I listen to on the road. Second is phone calls. I have the phone where I can see it and screen the calls. I only accept ones from my wife or kids (emergencies).

And, yes, one of the problems when first using these things are the commands. They can be a PITA to learn. PS: plugging in an MP3 player or iPod also presents another issue. That plug bypasses the nice amplifier in the headset so you are dependent on the amplifier output of the iPod or player. Some do quite well while others just do not have enough volume.

Oh, and tell your husband that he is not alone with the voice command thing. I have used Siri on an iPhone 5, and three different voice programs on various Androids, and none of them work very well on the bike. I had my best luck when I had my Shoei RF-1000 and the microphone was 'buried' into a cutout in the chinbar foam. That seemed to isolate enough of the background so the voice commands would work. They are still not very reliable. Name recognition was horrible. I had to resort to using basic commands. Like "CALL ONE THREE SIX....." Because of that, one of the features I liked on the 10 was the three number fast dial. And, yes, the voice programs seem to be set as default to do google searches.

Last edited:

elizilla

The people who might call me are grownups and can solve their problems without my immediate input. :) If it's a medical emergency they should call 911. If you're an adult having frequent emotional emergencies requiring instant support, you need to call a friend who keeps their phone turned on. And if you just want to chat, great, I love to chat, but you'll have to wait until I'm done doing my other stuff. My phone is not a tether. If I don't want to be disturbed I leave it at home. This notion that we all need to be available instantly for whatever trivial thing someone might want to pester us with? I have no patience with it. Get offa my lawn! (This is highly generational I know. My step daughter is miserable with the pressure from multiple people who expect her to be instantly available at all times. Until she learns to say no and set the phone down, this will always be a struggle.)

With the Autocoms I used a great amp called the Amplirider. It has a waterproof volume control that can be operated with gloves on, and it runs off bike power. I have several of them kicking around the garage, and if I have to install one to the current bike and just plug in the music there, I will. But first I will have to figure out how I can get it to work at all.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Sorry, I like being instantly available to my wife and kids. No, they don't call to chat when I am on a trip. Heck, have never had a call on a trip from them except when they hear of a crash/incident in my area. When I have time to talk I call them.

And, no, I do not want to wait for two hours to find out if one of mine has been taken to a hospital.

Of course, if your relatives/friends are a bit more "demanding" I probably wouldn't take the phone with me either.

Managing those around you is part of life. You either do it or you don't. Leaving the phone at home won't help.

New technology is not an albatross around your neck unless you let it get that way.

Top Bottom