Shaft drive rear end gear oil.

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I found a old unopened Valvoline Dura Blend (Synthetic Blend) SAE 80W-90 API GL-5 MT1 Gear Oil at work it was free. Anybody use it, do you think its about the same as Honda Pro Shaft Drive Gear Oil?

As easy as it is to change the gear oil I'm going to start changing it every time I change the motor oil.
20200303_181508.jpg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would think your Valvoline would be fine but since it doesn't take much and price is not bad I use the Honda.
Same reasoning some on here like the Honda engine oil filters. Easy, fairly inexpensive, quality is good, and you don't get too long a filter that way.
So I mix it up. I use aftermarket engine oil filters but Honda gear oil. Pretty logical in my twisted mind.

Brad

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I would think your Valvoline would be fine but since it doesn't take much and price is not bad I use the Honda.
Same reasoning some on here like the Honda engine oil filters. Easy, fairly inexpensive, quality is good, and you don't get too long a filter that way.
So I mix it up. I use aftermarket engine oil filters but Honda gear oil. Pretty logical in my twisted mind.

Brad
I here you Brad, Guess I over think it sometimes, but its good to keep the mind occupied!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I believe the recommended change interval for final drive oil in Honda motorcycles is every 24,000 miles.

When you look at how most cars get driven, often for over 100k miles, with the same hypoid gear oil in the differential, you can see that it's not too critical.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've used that Valvoline blend on my Connies. It was fine. I'm like most of the others with the NT. I've used Honda stuff in the final drive, mostly because I haven't done very many of my oil changes.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I believe the recommended change interval for final drive oil in Honda motorcycles is every 24,000 miles.

When you look at how most cars get driven, often for over 100k miles, with the same hypoid gear oil in the differential, you can see that it's not too critical.
I hear what your saying, I think sit time can have a effect on it, alot of these bikes have been around for over 10 years and have less than 20,000 miles on them, I think it wouldn't hurry anything the change the read end gear oil every 2 years or 24,000 miles which ever comes first.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I've used that Valvoline blend on my Connies. It was fine. I'm like most of the others with the NT. I've used Honda stuff in the final drive, mostly because I haven't done very many of my oil changes.
I'm going to use this stuff for now, then later reevaluate a change if necessary. Thank's Phil!

Lance

Directly above the Center of the Earth
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I found a old unopened Valvoline Dura Blend (Synthetic Blend) SAE 80W-90 API GL-5 MT1 Gear Oil at work it was free. Anybody use it, do you think its about the same as Honda Pro Shaft Drive Gear Oil?

As easy as it is to change the gear oil I'm going to start changing it every time I change the motor oil.
20200303_181508.jpg
anybody here use Redline Heavyduty shockproof for finale drive.
I ask because I would run that in all my guzzi’s in the transmission and the finale drive
Looks like a pink milkshake

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Lance, welcome to the Forum! I'm guessing that what you're using in your Guzzis would work on the Honda...if it's the same viscosity.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If the Redline meets the GL5 spec, you are good to go.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I use Lucas 80w90 gear oil in my NT final drive, it seems to quiet the coast down noise. I change it every tire change.

Brad

Top Bottom