shifter adjustment

ski patroller

I many times find it difficult to shift into first when stopped. rolling and down shifting is always best. There have been 2 occasions when I've entered an intersection in 2nd or 3rd thinking I was in first. My clutch adjustment seems fine. I'm wondering if the shifter needs some play taken up ?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Normally I would look at the clutch adjustment for a problem you describe. Is there any clutch drag noticable while in gear but not moving?
Otherwise you might look at adjusting the shift lever to fit your seating position and boot choice.
Also how many miles are on your NT? They seem to get better after a good break-in.

Brad

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I notice if I did not totally let the shifter rest (keeping my foot and holding down the lever a little), it can not get it into first. So I raise my foot off the lever and then shift to first.
I think it binds when you put too much pressure on the lever, and won't shift to first.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
There isn't really any 'play' in the shift linkage. Any slop there is typically from the shift forks within the transmission or worn bushings in the linkage. Unless you have one of the older, higher mileage NT's in the country any wear on the bushings is probably insignificant.

What you are probably seeing is the normal action of the transmission trying to shift into 1st when the gears are not moving. If the dogs aren't aligned then it just won't engage. What you should try is to apply light pressure to the shifter while letting the clutch out just a little. This will move the dogs just a bit and will allow them to engage. Think of leggos. If they aren't aligned they won't engage. The shift dogs are the same kind of thing. That is also why you can easily downshift while moving.

Top Bottom