Shock Sox

bicyclist

Anything to protect the fork tubes is a good investment. Tiny stone chips and dings, even bug splats, will eventually wear the fork seals until they leak.

I posted several years ago about installing Triumph gaiters on my forks. I've put gaiters on all of my bikes that didn't come with them and haven't had to deal with leaking seals.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had used shock socks (or something like them) on my Concours. They didn't seem to fit as well on the NT and I did what George did -- I went with Triumph gaiters. No more leaking shock seals.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I added zip ties to make the soxs fit and stay put. Seems to be working now for 3 years.

bicyclist

Hi Phil,

Do the front forks have to be disassembled to install the Triumph gaiters?
This is addressed to Phil, but I can answer it. The forks need to be partially disassembled. You need to slide the fork tubes out of the triple tree, slip off the plastic things at the top of the sliders, slip on the gaiters and slide the fork tubes back into the triple tree. Therefore, you need to remove the front wheel and calipers and hoses from the fork as well as the fender. It isn't difficult and well worth the effort.

bicyclist

When I viewed the site for the Shock Socks they recommended that the Socks be removed after each ride. They don't specify why and I can only assume it is for cleaning purposes.
"We recommend removing the Shock Sox after each day of riding. Do not leave the Shock Sox on while washing your motorcycle. Remove the Shock Sox and hand-wash with a garden hose, or in a sink with warm soapy water. Lay the Shock Sox flat, and let dry. Once dry, install Shock Sox back on your forks. The beauty of Shock Sox is that they are removable for easy cleaning and great fork seal protection. Don’t be lazy…leaving the Shock Sox on during cleaning will trap moisture and grit, potentially causing fork seal leakage!"

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bicyclist got it. My Triumph gaiters were installed while fork seals were being replaced -- for the 2nd time in about 30,000 miles. They've been great. I did have the forks rebuilt again at about 90,000 miles.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I ran a sset on my c-10 connie. they were VELCRO AEled eddge thT WORKED WELL ENOOOUGH, AND WERE REMOVEABLE FOR CLEANING WHEN I FFELT mbitious. , also ran some on wing and never had a seaale problem in the time I owned it. It did get taken appaart T 75,000 FRO Complete trXION REBUILD nd T THt time it got th covwvera wAHED.

eLDON

Bike
2013 Red NT700VA
I couldn't buy the shock sox in the U.K., so I made a pair from an old wetsuit. Wife was very good sewing velcro to the neoprene - ouch!!! I have had them on for three years and the stanchions still look new underneath and no fork seal issues (yet!!). I had to put a cable tie around the bottom to stop them occasionally sliding upwards. Didn't know you should remove them when washing the bike, though, but I keep spraying under them with WD40. Will take them off to wash the bike next time.
FORK SOCKS.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2011 Black NT700
I couldn't buy the shock sox in the U.K., so I made a pair from an old wetsuit. Wife was very good sewing velcro to the neoprene - ouch!!! I have had them on for three years and the stanchions still look new underneath and no fork seal issues (yet!!). I had to put a cable tie around the bottom to stop them occasionally sliding upwards. Didn't know you should remove them when washing the bike, though, but I keep spraying under them with WD40. Will take them off to wash the bike next time.
FORK SOCKS.jpg
Those look pretty nice. Maybe the wife should start selling them.
Ride safe, Clint

OP
OP
silshooter

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I received the Shock Sox on Saturday, easy installation, have not ridden with them due to the rains for the past 3 days. These are much easier than pulling the fork tubes to install gators.

Top Bottom