Shop Manuals

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I would like to get a shop manual for the CB550. Dennis Kirk lists two manuals--one by Clymer and one by Hayes. They are both priced the same. Can anyone recommend which one is more user friendly, better illustrated, etc. I have no way of seeing them side by side for a comparison. Any input would be appreciated. My 550 will be a total teardown.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I have a Haynes manual for my CX500 and while it is quite detailed it does not cover quite as much as the Honda workshop manual does. Others I know who have used the Clymer manual advise it is not as comprehensive as the Haynes manual.

I have been told Haynes actually created their series of manuals after obtaining a bike and pulling it down while documenting the process.

Seagrass

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
If you haven't already joined, try www.sohc4.net.

My experience with restoring a 1973 CB350Four, a Honda Shop Manual was the best manual to have. It may be that way with for CB550. The Honda Shop Manual for the CB550 is on sohc4.net

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have a Honda Factory Shop Manual for the 1979 CB650 and it was better than the after market manuals. I borrowed it from the local Honda shop and went to Kinko's and made a copy of it for 20 bucks. Then put the pages in document protectors. Worked great for me when I had my old CB. Before I traded the bike in on the NT.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have found Haynes to be the better manual in the past. Haynes also had tips and tricks for the non-professional mechanic home user....

EDIT: There are several used Honda CB550 shop manuals listed on eBay right now... But I would still buy the Haynes as well....

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
1) OEM
2) Haynes
3) Clymer

I recommend getting all three. Each will usually have an advantage over the others in certain areas.

slider

This guy is my source:

EDIT: Link Deleted By RedLdr1 for Copyright Concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
That place on is where I bought the shop manual for my Explorer. I don't recall ever getting a tracking number or anything, but received the item pretty quickly.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
OK I just sent a 20 dollar check for a Suzuki DR650 sevice manual. Got my order # and mailing address of who to send check to. We will see what happens. Worst case is I am out 20 bucks. I don't do pay-pal and seller does PP, Check, or money order. We will see. Were you guys happy with the manuals?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
This guy is my source:

IIRC, this is where I bought my NT700 shop manual. If you look closely at the pic of their NT700 manual you can see that the binder holes are white......white paper......it's not a hole, its a photocopy. Took my manual to a Honda dealer to compare it to their manual, and it is clearly not the genuine article.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
As long as the info is the same and I can read it. For 20 bucks vs. 80 bucks. I have the true Honda Factory manuals for my ST1300 and my NT700 as I intend to keep the bikes a long tome. Also the Wee. With my DR I have the on line manuals which are fine for the maint. I do but it would be nice to have a paper copy. A Copy is fine by me. Is the info correct. That is all that matters for the DR.

Thats waht I did with my Old 79 CB650 that I had. Borrowd the dealers manual and took it to Kinkos. For 20 bucks had it reproduced and returned the Dealers copy. Then put it in a binder. Still have it.

Last edited:

slider

It's the same manual that I'm pretty sure he copies in his Brooklyn apartment and puts together like I would want it. I've bought a few from him and like them. The holes are just circles on the front page as I imagine they are on the original. It's bound together really well and even has the electrical diagram folded in the back. He's quite good at what he's doing imho.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
All,

I just deleted the references to the source as the Seller has a history of selling "bootleg" copies of OEM manuals on eBay. Due to copyright concerns we do not allow linking to "bootleg" copyrighted materials. Please do not post any further links.

Chuck,

If you get a original OEM manual, as sold by Suzuki, please let us know and I'll quit killing the links.

Thank you for your understanding.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Helm Inc in MI is the official retailer of genuine Honda factory manuals, new and old, and is where I bought my NT service manual. Some of the older manuals are photocopies of the originals since they've been out of print for a long time. A great many manufacturers, including Ford & GM, use Helm for service literature to avoid having to store all that stuff themselves.

In the 80s, I did some moonlight work proofreading Haynes car and motorcycle manuals. It may have changed, but a common gripe at that time was having too many years and even models in one manual; for example, the manual for the Yamaha 250 DT-1 also covered the 125 AT-1, 175 CT-1 and 360 RT-1. This created a manual with a fair number of photos, drawings and sidebar notes not relevant to your model. I don't have any knowledge of Chilton but they could be in the same boat because it's difficult for any non-factory publisher to make money on a manual that only covers one year/one model.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have been looking for the Genuine Honda Manual for the 73-74 CB550K. Lots of bootleg stuff out there--which I am not interested in--it is stealing from the author. I will see if Amazon has a ,perhaps used Helm Manual. If not, I'll contact Helm and get theirs for the full retail price--at least I'll be getting the real thing. I did get the Hayes and Clymer manuals from Amazon.

slider

I think the "bootleggers" learned off the government. I didn't think it was stealing from the author. I Googled for a manual for a friend long ago and that guys name came up in posts on message boards with good recommendations. I never thought twice. I kind of looked at it like sending your seat to someone and they use the frame to make their seat. But I guess it is wrong. I did buy the bike. $90? Really?

Anyway sorry.

Top Bottom