Skyline Drive

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I never see anyone mention riding Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge but never Skyline. I plan on riding that next week then the east end of Blue Ridge down to
Fancy Gap for the night.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I liked Skyline when I rode it back in '07. It's slow because of the 35mph speed limit, but it was beautiful. I was glad that the Blue Ridge Parkway had a 45mph limit.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with Phil about the 35 MPH limit being a major deterrent plus there is a fee to use Skyline Drive. I did it once many years ago just to do it. If I recall correctly, once you get onto Skyline Drive there is no way to get off until the end.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Skyline drive has 3 "regions" along it's 105 mile length. There are 2 exits along the road. Starting from the North, US 211 is the first. US 211 is a popular twisty road for many motorcyclist. It is also a road with frequent motorcycle accidents. It is a fun road for sure with 2 lanes on the ascent and a single lane on decent (going in each direction).

The second exit is at US 33. The regions are about every 30 or so miles. Lots of beautiful overlooks and two nice lodges if you are interested in a little lunch (Skyland and Big Meadows). I think the fee is $15 for 7 days per motorcycle. Of course if you have an Annual pass or the lifetime senior pass, the entrance fee is free!

I agree with Phil about the 35 MPH limit being a major deterrent plus there is a fee to use Skyline Drive. I did it once many years ago just to do it. If I recall correctly, once you get onto Skyline Drive there is no way to get off until the end.

Off weekends or later in the fall its okay but it is heavily patrolled - I'm usually good for the first third.
Even in the daytime watch for deer.
I think your national park pass gets you in.
BTW for those that tour....there is a lifetime seniors national park pass for$10 ....which unfortunately is only good for USains :(
Not us furriners.

Given that thae parks are $25 a hit...that's terrific savings.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
BTW for those that tour....there is a lifetime seniors national park pass for$10 ....which unfortunately is only good for USains
Not us furriners.

The National Parks lifetime senior pass is one of the absolute best perks of getting old!

Bike
2011 Black NT700
The National Parks lifetime pass is one of the absolute best perks of getting old!
Ain't that the truth. Took a ride :black1: up to Glacier yesterday for the 4th time this season. Feels so good flashing the old guy pass.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The senior pass is an awesome deal. The annual park pass runs $80 a year for the rest of us and is a great deal if you are visiting a bunch of different parks on a big trip.

You can get a Shenandoah NP only annual pass for $30 which is a decent deal if you visit the park often like I do. :)

I'm still a few decades away from a seniors pass...
Off weekends or later in the fall its okay but it is heavily patrolled - I'm usually good for the first third.
Even in the daytime watch for deer.
I think your national park pass gets you in.
BTW for those that tour....there is a lifetime seniors national park pass for$10 ....which unfortunately is only good for USains :(
Not us furriners.

MarkAlann

Back in the 70's I was in college in Lynchburg VA. We use to ride up to the skyline drive. Fun ride, I forgot about the speed limit but as college students we didn't pay much attention to that!!! We use to push the bike to get rolling and ride all the way down to the main road without starting the bikes. It was a Kawasaki KZ900 so you would hear the chain but of course no engine sound. Fun

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Senior Pass is a great deal for sure. I discovered that I have worn the numbers off my second one now. I don't believe they check numbers when entering a park - just ID. But you do have to write your pass # when self registering at a campground. I just make up a number for the ones I can't read any more. So far OK.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
Skyline/Blue Ridge would be a good gathering next spring. If you not been to Wheels Through Time, would be a very good way to top all a ride. Month of early May next year I plan on going down that way again, Maggie Valley has more motorcycles then cars, and all motels have cleaning clothes for the bikes. I think I'll avoid Virginia, that state just is not friendly to even it citizens, much less foreign bikers (non-resident). After getting stop for no reason on Back of the Dragon, I'll try and avoid the state, too bad some very good roads to ride. Even NRA has mention issues in Virginia with the LEO's, not sure why that the only state I found issues with in a long time.

I ride in Virginia a lot and have only been stopped once, and that was for speeding. When I pulled my license out the LEO saw my military ID and said "Thank you for your service. Slow down". He let me go. Also you can't beat the roads here in Virginia.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Skyline Drive has 3 "regions" along it's 105 mile length. There are 2 exits along the road. Starting from the North, US 211 is the first. US 211 is a popular twisty road for many motorcyclist...The second exit is at US 33...]

I only did it once many years ago so never discovered those turnoffs. Once was enough. I was on my way to an MSTA event that was held near Bedford VA.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
I think the exits to Skyline are well marked now, so you could easily find them now. The pass for Skyline last for a few days too, if you get bored you can get off for awhile.
I don't think you can get bored if you like scenery, lots of lookout make it a long trip any way. I think I stopped at about a dozen, all are much nicer then Blue Ridge which some are so grown up that you don't see much, all seems trimmed on Skyline.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Tom, that stop at Fancy Gap was one that I made a couple years ago. There was a motorcycle friendly motel there next to a gourmet sandwich shop.

Top Bottom