Skyrich Lithium Battery 12V HJTZ14S-FP-S

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
An initial review of the Skyrich Lithium Battery 12V HJTZ14S-FP-S.

The original YTZ14S lasted just under 6 years from the date it was manufactured until it wouldn't function when the temperature was below 3C. Therefore, it was time to seek a replacement. I visited the local Honda Dealer where I was quoted 175€ for a new battery. A little steep I thought so, I started a search. On Amazon a Yuasa YTZ14S was 126€ plus 20€ delivery (even though I'm a premium member), but they also offered a Skyrich Lithium Ion battery for 137.62€ plus 12€ delivery. Umm, I thought!

I did quite a lot of research before deciding to buy a Lithium battery to replace my dying OEM Yuasa YTZ14S. The usual internet searches, manufacturer's site, reading various posts on the forums etc. The Skyrich Lithium Battery 12V HJTZ14S-FP-S is Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO) and not the more volatile Lithium Cobalt Oxide or Lithium Manganese Oxide reaction so, it is much safer... Taking into account that the technology had moved on quite a bit since some of the articles were written and the fact that the Skyrich are now OEM on Ducatis, I thought "Why not?" so took the plunge.

Delivery was next day for no extra cost though it didn't arrive until well after 6 pm and was just left in the letterbox. Letterboxes in France are big and designed to take parcels.

"Wow, it's light!" was my first thought as I retrieved it from the letterbox. "Have they forgotten to put the battery in the carton?"

There are dire warnings about making sure the battery has 12.8v or more charge before fitting both on the battery and in the instructions so I pressed the Test Button on the top and it read "FUL". Info here.

Installation is really easy and took me about 5 minutes, 10 minutes with coffee.

1. Make coffee and read instructions
  2. Take the mileage readings from the odometer
  3. Remove seat
  4. Disconnect old battery and remove it
  5. Put the spacers on the new battery and add the Terminal Bolts (supplied)
  6. Install the battery
  7. Connect the terminals
  8. Replace the seat
  9. Finish coffee.
Notes:
  • The Terminal bolts are longer than those on the Yuasa YTZ14S so screwing the bolts in with the battery in place was a complete doddle.
  • You need the spacers as the battery is smaller than the OEM.
  • It is also 3kg lighter! Yes, a quarter of the weight of the Yuasa.

In use

I switched the bike on and pressed the starter. Engine start was virtually immediate, most impressive.

I also noticed that the engine sounded smoother. I thought I was imagining things, but then I remembered that I had read that the spark plugs are supposed to work better as the battery supplies a voltage much closer to the optimum required by the spark plugs. Subjectively, the bike does seem to run better, a little smoother and little more responsive.

I have had the battery in for about 4 days now, not long enough to give any real opinions. I'll update the review over time to let you know how it goes.

At the time of writing the USD/EUR was nearly parity.

Last edited:

tawilke46

Thanks for the post John. Manufacture date on my 2010 NT is Sep 2009. So replaced my battery last year just out of caution, since it was already 5 years old. Just put in another Yuasa OEM. Was not confident enough to go with a Lithium yet.
By all means keep us posted on how the battery performs for you. A Lithium may be the next replacement battery for the NT and the Wee.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for the info. Please keep us updates on your experience. I hope it is better than mine with Lithium Iron batteries. The voltage drop at temps near freezing was very noticable. The bike barely started when temps where in the low 20Fs. But as you suggested, maybe the tech has gotten better over the last two years since last I tried.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
We've had a couple of days when the temperature reached -1?C and the bike started immediately. I have always allowed the bike to cycle the display and the fuel gauge to show the correct level which takes about 5 seconds or so before starting.

The instructions do say, at temperatures below -10?C, to turn the lights on for about 1 minute before attempting a start. So, when it gets that cold, that's what I'll do...

JQL,

I put a new LiFePO4 in my NT almost exactly two years ago (http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?7698-LiFePO4-revisited-EarthX-ETX36C) and its still giving me those "instant starts" you mention, plus a smooth running engine. I intentionally bought a higher capacity battery because of the "cold start" problem many members here had experienced, and it has payed off. I ride all winter, and the coldest I've started was 17 degrees F, again instantly. The Earth-X battery has a built in Battery Management System (BMS) that seems to get along well with the NT voltage controller. No playing with the headlight on cold mornings required.

I've been very pleased with my Lithium battery, and I hope you will be too!

Bill

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
This evening the temperature was -2C (28F) and the bike started immediately. So, so far, the Lithium Ion battery is performing very well.

Wednesday looks like it will be -5C (23F) so I'll give it a go then and see how she starts.

Top Bottom