slider project

MaxBC

I've seen a few posts suggesting using a frame slider to protect the panniers. The preferred placement mentioned in the posts was the mounting point for the pillion foot pegs. I've purchased a set of "step holder" assemblies - the bolt on frame members that hold the foot pegs. (LKQ MotorSports is parting out a 2010 NT #174) My intention is to mount sliders to them and see how the holders hold up.

I'd like to solicit opinions for the length that the slider should extend beyond the rear peg mounting bosses (left and right). What will it take to adequately protect the panniers without fulcruming the bike at the winglet and causing more damage up front?

If anyone has an idea for the design of the mount, I'd sure appreciate a drawing, especially if it leaves a place for the pillion's feet.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I can tell you that even the small pannier lids can hit the pavement if you drop the bike. Not every time, though.

I'll bet you can't guess how I know. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sam, that soft asphalt'll get you every time. Our hospital has an asphalt parking lot that won't support my kickstand or my centerstand if the temperature is more than about 75-80F and the sun is shining.

As for "what's coming up," yessirree, I'm getting excited. As much as I have enjoyed the ministry, I'm ready for a long break.

bicyclist

Max, someone on the forum put some padding on the floor and laid his bike over on it. If you search, you may be able to find the picture. Alternatively, you could do it yourself and have your measuring stick handy.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Max, someone on the forum put some padding on the floor and laid his bike over on it. If you search, you may be able to find the picture. Alternatively, you could do it yourself and have your measuring stick handy.
Those photos are by Andy Morley. He demonstrates the difference between the stock and wide lids when tipped over. The wide lids are the same width as the tip over wings so are not portected in a drop. If you can control the drop you can prevent damage to the stock lids. If you drop it hard, however ....

skiper

I was thinking a very stiff piece of rubber would slow down the impact as it deflects and might minimize or eliminate a all out crack. High pressure hose , with braiding inside might give minimal protection. The idea of laying it down on cushions is the only way and you'll need lots of hands or a really good pulley. VBery useful experiment I must say. I don't think a pogo stick will work. Nice if it did , you know

OP
OP

MaxBC

Thanks, George and Chuck. I found the pictures here.

It looks like making the sliders the width of the large lids would add considerable protection for the OEM lids without sacrificing the front end. So how much wider are the large lids than the stock ones?

Top Bottom