Some choices...

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Interesting video. But all chain drive and in line engines. Spotty wind protection, hard seats, panniers tacked on like afterthoughts. Depreciates to 1/3 once you drive it off the lot. And they all look alike and are pretty ugly insects in my eye. I'll pass. :)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Interesting video. But all chain drive and in line engines. Spotty wind protection, hard seats, panniers tacked on like afterthoughts. Depreciates to 1/3 once you drive it off the lot. And they all look alike and are pretty ugly insects in my eye. I'll pass. :)
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I replaced my NT with a Triumph Tiger but it took me 6 months to sell the NT so I rode them both for a time. I no longer liked the NT as much as I did when I got it. The Tiger has lots more power, a 6th gear, cruise, heated grips, better egos, panniers that work, handles better, and best of all is almost 100 pounds lighter. And yes, the Tiger's fuel mileage is worse and it has a chain drive. But chain drives are still the most mechanically efficient way to propel a motorcycle.

I loved the NT and rode it for over 55 K miles in 4 years, but no way I'd bo back.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hey, You all. I own the Versys 1000LT SE. I thought the Video was a good comparison, but a bit hard to understand the dialect of the testers. Seems that they did like the Tracer GT a lot, but admitted that the Versys 1KLT SE was the best all around. Chains really not an issue now days and I found the the chain drive is less maint. then the NT700 shaft drive. (yes one needs to lube it once in a while) Just ask Phil about Proper spline maint on the NT. Yes the Versys is a tall bike, but not even in the same class as the NT for proper comparisons. A better choice would to be to compare my FJR with my Big Versys. I found that the Versys seat was the best OEM seat that I have ridden. Still needs improvement though. Try the little Versys X300 brick for a seat. Pain in the ass. Inline 3 and 4s are much smoother than the V Twins. Never did get use to the V-Twin vibs of the NT. MY V-Strom V-Twin is smoother then the NT and nearly as smooth as my inline 4s. I guess it all comes down to different strokes for different folks.:biggrin:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Chuck - I believe that Phil had premature wear problems on the driven flange of his first NT because the shop tech failed to lube it during a tire change. I've put 38k on my chain drive NC700XD and although I don't mind the additional work cleaning/lubing the chain, it's still a lot more work than "maintenance" on the final drive of my NT which amounts to almost nothing in time.

The NT's rear tire gets changed about once every 12-15 months and at that time, I clean the male & female splines and regrease with Moly 60. I could probably change the final drive oil when I fit a new rear tire but I've never it that way and just do that chore every other year. :)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
DirtFlier, I had two final drives with the exact same problem...shop techs failing to lube the rear end after a rear tire change. It should not have happened either time.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
That's one of the reasons I don't mind doing my own tires but honestly, changing tires is a hateful job! I'm sure at some point, I'll have a shop do the tires but I'll still remove and install the wheels myself so I can be sure and apply the Moly 60. :cool:

I have a homemade tire machine and also some tools from No-Mar which help a lot but as anyone knows, 90% of tire changing is technique and I don't do it often enough to remember the little tricks that help make it much easier.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Agreed! Many of the current motorcycles look like mutant cockroaches!

I just don't get the design guys these days. Give me a 60s to 80s UJM any day compared to these ugly bugs.
In that context, the NT looks quite tasteful, wouldn't you agree? I get comments from others at places like gas stations, how modern it looks, of course it helps that its a red one. šŸ˜€

Top Bottom