SoundRider! Rally in the Gorge

SeattleJim

If anyone is in the Northwest in July I highly recommend the 8th annual SoundRider Rally in Stevenson, WA along the Columbia River.
SoundRider! Rally in the Gorge
It's an AMA sanctioned event including Sportbikes, Sport-Tourers, Dual-Sports, and Maxiscooters. In the past I've taken a maxiscooter and dual-sport bikes. This year with the NT700 I could ride with anyone 'cept possibly the dual-sporters.

If you are considering a trip to the Great Northwet this would be a good intro to the area.

This is the Maryhill Stonehenge memorial for WWI vets. It's just off the highway, no entrance fee, and great view of the Columbia River.

Many rides include portions of the Historic Columbia River Highway. These roads were designed and constructed by Sam Hill (as in "What in the name of Sam Hill?!"). These were the first experiments to determine the optimum camber and radii for highways. This is Rowena Loop near Mosier, OR.

This is Maryhill Loops Road. It's a 3.6 mile "museum" normally closed to vehicles. It has 25 curves including 8 hairpins. SoundRider pays to have it open for motorcycles-only once a year during the rally. Great fun!

Sorry to sound like an advertisement. Not a SoundRider employee, just want to make sure it's known. Hope I'm not the only Deauville there this summer.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sounds like a great ride, Jim, but I'll be at the last day of the NT-Owners National Rally in Hill City, SD.

OP
OP

SeattleJim

Phil: Gonna stretch out your stay in the Black Hills? Isn't the NT Rally 6/27 - 7/1?

I should have mentioned above that the SR! Rally is 7/27 - 7/31, a month after the NT rally.

OP
OP

SeattleJim

BTW, I'd love to go the the NT rally in the Black Hills. Three things holding me back:
1) Just went to the Black Hills for the 2nd time in my life last summer
2) It's a 2000 mile ride to the rally from here (a 2 day ride for Phil)
3) Time off; it'd be a two week trip for me.

But, hey, we might get lucky. With upcoming state budget cuts my wife & I may be getting a LOT more time on our hands. We might have the whole summer to ride!

Just looking on the bright side...

COOP 1

I've heard about this. Sounds like fun. Those roads look great!

OP
OP

SeattleJim

Jim is that a yellow Burgman you have pictured there at Cementhenge?
Yes, that's Tom Mehren and his Silverwing. (Tom basically *IS* SoundRider and runs the rally.) He likes that Honda Goldwing yellow and has a matching Yamaha FZ6. He looks like a bumblebee.

At the time I also had a Silverwing that I had repainted blue & pearl white.

If you've been to the Seattle Cycle World show in the last 7 years or so you have probably seen his show upstairs. He gathers about 40 unusual bikes from the region for display.

Top Bottom