Spare Keys

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I like to have a skeletonized spare bike key in my wallet when I tour. I assume I order a blank at my local friendly honda dealer, take it to a lock smith, and have them cut it before dremeling the thumb part down to where I can tape it to a business card and put it in my wallet? So far, carrying a spare key will assure that I wont loose the main key.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My local Honda dealer cut me two new keys in about 5 min. on normal flat blanks. Try them first and if not, take your key to a lock smith store. They should have blanks that work. Not the big box store but a key and locksmith store.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
What is the reason to not deliver HISS in the states?
Cost I suspect... Honda stripped a lot of functionality off the NT in the US version; we don't even get a tool kit! And the Honda accessories offered in the US are very limited compared to Europe.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
That is sad! Instead of a competition based on quality and functionality the only main thing put up on front today is price. When the dealers are squeezed in the competition things must go and how far hasn't it gone when even the small toolset has to be set aside? This is indeed bad.
Honda stopped giving us tool kits on the ST1300 back with the 2006 model. All we get now on the ST is an Allen wrench and a peice of foam.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
What to do with the spare key has been a debate on many a forum. Most people say that the key will be in their wallet. Most of us own multiple vehicles. Are we going to put all the keys in our wallet? The solution may be simpler than you think.

My personal preference is to put the key behind the license plate with a wing nut, Put a wing nut on the bottom two fastening holes and screw the key in behind the plate. My NT has a chrome license plate frame with a plastic window. The two bottom holes do not fasten to anything--so the spare key goes there. There are other places on the bike where a key can be "Hidden"

bicyclist

I bought a package of 10 blanks because I wanted a couple of spares and a couple of oil bottle cap knobs. With shipping, they wound up costing a buck each. I have 6 left. If anyone wants one, send me a SASE with a buck in it and I'll send it back with a blank in it.

elizilla

I tape my spare Honda key to the inside of a Givi case, under all my stuff so it's not immediately obvious it's in there. I keyed all my Givis alike, so I have ten Givi keys. I always carry several of them on trips. I move them around to various pockets and/or hiding places depending on what seems convenient. I always have one handy somewhere.

I was in the middle of a post and apparently hit the wrong key. If you find something similar to this, disregard it. I have a jacket I think I always use when I ride--love my jacket. On the back of my jacket is a great pocket that is also waterproof. I put the second key I got with my bike this pocket and always have my spare key with me. My jacket has gone through the washer a few times and the key with it and it always comes out fine.

Terry

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I don't think so. Removing the plate requires a special tool which I carry in my wallet and one each in my three jackets. Did the same with the cages. I originally used wing nuts, until a friend gave me a handful of Stainless bolts with a head that requites a special tool. The nice thing on Merlot is that the key is inside the frame and can't be removed easily.

I guess we are getting winter. Last Sunday I rode Merlot to Bangor to attend a CVMA (Combat Veterans Motorcycle Assn) meeting. A great group of people.

Since I saw you last, I got the wind deflectors and a CeeBailey windshield. Those deflectors took some serious engineering. The windshield is of exceptionally fine quality. I think that all the "Wild Hondas" have the CeeBaileys now.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
When I purchased my NT, it only came with one key. I was able to order a blank from my local honda dealer, but they could not cut the key. Something about they only get so many a year, so when the machine broke, they decided not to replace it. I found that to be a rather sorry answer (a big shiney useless honda dealer).
Anyway, I took the blank to a locksmith and they cut it for me. I havn't yet figured out where to put it on my bike, so I just keep it at home. If I ever go on a long trip, I will want to have the spare with me, but for now I am always within an hour or two of home.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I carry mine in the sleeve of my 'Stitch. I guess that would be a good reason to lock the 'Stitch. (See thread about helmet security)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This is all very interesting cause the owners manual, which by the way is still written in pidgeon English after 40 years (will someone explain the operation of the MPG readout for me?) says I think that you can order a key by its number. My Honda dealer said I would have to order a blank and get a locksmith to cut it. When I tour, I leave all keys at home except the bike and I like a spare somewhere...on or off the bike. Hey Supermek! You get Swedish blonds, a tool kit AND a smartkey? I am soooooo jealous.....

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I took my key to a locksmith and he had no trouble cutting me a key. I never went to Honda for a blank. He charged me $5. for two keys.

bicyclist

I took my four blanks down to the local farm store and the kid cut them for free.:tongue:

Top Bottom