Spearfish, 2018

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was up early this morning...woke at 6 and tried to sleep until 7, but then I got up. Ken Malone (RedBird on the Forum) and I were riding to Spearfish together. He had driven home to his place west of Lyons, CO, from KC yesterday and had to take his dog to a kennel near Berthoud. He planned on being there at 8 and then driving back to get his bike and leave home at about 8:45.

I was all packed and ready to go -- I'd even cleaned (most of) the bugs off the bike from my 4,000 mile trip to WV in May and Ken didn't call. I figured he'd run into some issues at the kennel and finally called him at 9:30. He said he was 3 minutes away from leaving. I only had about 10 miles to go to our meeting place. He arrived just after 10:30 and we were on our way!

We rode up I-25 through Cheyenne to Wheatland where we stopped for gas and a burger. Once more, I really enjoyed being able to get on and off the bike without the precariousness that has plagued me since I had it lowered last summer and that has been eliminated by my friend Ken, who shortened the sidestand another 3/4" on Monday.

Ken and I left Wheatland on a narrow, winding, hilly little road that took us past the Laramie River Power Station and Greyrocks Reservoir. My GPS, the mostly faithful "Shirley", told me to take an unpaved road to Ft. Laramie and estimated that route would add nearly an hour to our trip. I ignored Shirley, because I knew that there was a paved road that would take us by the Army National Guard artillery and rifle ranges and then past Register Cliff, historic landmark on the Oregon trail just out of Guernsey, WY, as well as the turnoff to the Oregon Trail Ruts made by the thousands of wagons that had to climb out of the floodplain of the Platte River on their way towards Casper, Independence Rock, South Pass, and eventually, Oregon. It was quite a journey, one that we can demonstrate 170 years of progress easily as we ride our two-wheeled steeds.

After passing through Guernsey, we headed north on Wyoming 270, that goes across a mostly empty basin before crossing US-20 and US-18 at Manville. North of Manville, 270 drops off a break that runs across a good chunk of western Nebraska and eastern Wyoming and makes for quite a scenic drop, pretty much no matter where you are.

Then through Lance Creek, a dying oilfield outpost that was the home of the 2007 Steer Wrestling Grand Champion, and we turned east until we got to US-85. Another 60 miles brought us to Newcastle, a nice little town where I served as an interim pastor at the United Methodist Church for four months in 2015. North of Newcastle, once we managed to figure out the detour that the signs pointed away from when we left the gas station and took us about 3-4 miles east of town on our way towards Custer, SD, on US-16, a route that would have added at least another hour or two to our trip, we enjoyed the ride through the western edge of the Black Hills (called Paha Sapa by the Lakota who considered it the sacred center of the world. "Paha Sapa" means "Black Hills," BTW.

We got to I-90 at Sundance, WY, and learned that the tailwind we had enjoyed all day could have made our ride less enjoyable if we had had to buck it like we did the last miles into Spearfish.

I checked into Bell's Motor Lodge Motel and learned the NT group was eating at Applebee's. I got there just as they finished eating and Ken arrived (after setting up his tent at the campground) just as my food came. Frosty, Coyote Chris, Chuck Henderson, junglejim were the NT Forum guys there tonight (in addition to Ken and I). Jim Moore will be here tomorrow afternoon -- his wife is going to drive him up so he can see the guys. Frosty and Coyote Chris will be leaving Friday afternoon and then the rest of us will head out on Saturday morning.

It looks like we've got a good chance of getting wet on our way home, but at least we won't be hot! :rofl1:

If you're interested in seeing where we ride (or at least where I ride, you can click on my link to my Spotwalla page:
https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=PTarman

Tune in tomorrow for further updates!

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for the update, Phil! Glad to hear everything worked out so well with shortening the side stand. I'm sure it brings a lot more confidence and enjoyment to your riding, or more accurately, your mounting and dismounting! Also, I'm envying you a bit as you get to attend 'both' rallies this year and meet up with so many NTers from all over the map. Enjoy your time and give a shout out to everyone from us East Coasters who couldn't be there.

/Larry

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for the good wishes, Larry! This is the smallest crowd we've had in Spearfish. I don't know how many ST guys are here, but there aren't too many of us NT guys. Frosty and Coyote Chris did ride their NTs so there are 3 NT in town. There are more FJRs than that just here at Bell's Motor Lodge Motel … at least seven that I've seen.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Everyone is at the campground, bigger overall crowd than the last couple years.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The total may be bigger but the NT contingent is smaller.

It was a hot time in the old town today. Chuck went for a ride on his baby Versys but the rest of us just hung around until we went for a late afternoon snack at Culver's. Jim Moore got here, but I had just gotten back to the motel and accepted a beer from the FJR contingent that's here. They've got about 60-70 bikes here. Most are camping at the Spearfish City Campground and maybe 10-15 are here at Bell's.

It's 'sposed to be cooler tomorrow and cooler and probably a bit wetter as most of us leave on Saturday.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
After breakfast at Perkins, Ken Moore and I decided to take a ride. Chuck is out hunting more dirt on his Baby Versys and as far as I know, the others are at the campground. Ken and I rode up Spearfish Canyon, then turned east on 14A to Lead and Deadwood. Then it was south on US-385, which gave us about a 10-minute wait for a pilot car to lead us past an area of one-lane road. We went east on SD-44, the scenic Rim Rock Drive, to Johnson Siding, where we turned north on the Norris Peak Road until it merged into the Nemo Road east of Nemo. Just west of Nemo, we turned north onto the Vanocker Canyon Road which leads to Sturgis. All of these roads are very well-paved, with lots of sweepers and twisties, and a lot of fun to ride. Just north of Nemo, We came around a curve to see a whitetail doe just on the right side of the road and her tiny little fawn standing right in the middle. We had plenty of time to stop. Mama showed what I an coming to believe is an evolutionary advance among deer in the Black Hills -- she not only moved off the road, but well off it, crossing a fence about 40-50 feet from the road. Her little fawn wasn't quite so advanced and stood there trying to make up his mind about which way to go, but then he decided Mama knew best and followed her up the hill. After about 10 miles Vanocker Canyon Road begins to feature stretches of 10-degree grades downhill and lots of nicely linked 35-40mph corners. It leaves the Hills and runs straight into Sturgis after another mile or so.

Ken and I skipped Sturgis and hopped onto I-90 for the 14 or 15 mile ride back to Spearfish. It was a little over 100 miles and a great ride on a beautiful day.

The weather is considerably cooler here today. It got up into the 90s yesterday and is only mid-70s today...although it looks like we could have some severe thunderstorms about the time we start our pizza party at the campground.

Coyote Chris and Frosty are headed toward Buffalo and I realized after breakfast that Yoda has joined us from Albuquerque. He had been on a Burgman 650 the last time he came to Spearfish (either two or three years ago) but is riding a Honda CB500R that he bought on Tuesday. He was at 1000 miles on the clock and headed for the Spearfish Honda dealer to see if they could work him in for an oil and filter change and the 600-mile checkup. If they couldn't take care of him, he was going to do the oil and filter change behind Wal-Mart if he could get away with that.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...He was at 1000 miles on the clock and headed for the Spearfish Honda dealer to see if they could work him in for an oil and filter change and the 600-mile checkup. If they couldn't take care of him, he was going to do the oil and filter change behind Wal-Mart if he could get away with that...]

In Ohio, auto parts stores are required to provide dumping tanks where the waste oil can be disposed of properly. Maybe he should ask in SD?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm pretty sure he'll do that. He's a good guy.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Didn't make it to the pizza party. I was getting ready to leave when my phone started squawking with a tornado alert for Spearfish. There was an awesome roll cloud moving at 65 kts and hail coming behind it. The hail was 1/4-1/2" in diameter here at Bell's but must have been larger at the campground. Jim Rau sent me a picture of a shattered windscreen on an ST. It rained enough that I wimped out on going to the campground. There's no good place to park there except on the grass and with my wimpy legs, I decided I didn't want to have to maneuver on the soggy ground and grass. So, I ordered a pizza and got mine about the time the group at the campground got theirs.

Coyote Chris and Frosty made it to Buffalo, WY, and only got a little wet, but had to ride in terrific winds. Chris said they used his radar app to time their ride so they went between two really big thunderstorm cells.

Ken and I are heading home tomorrow.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
More about the storm Friday PM. A lot of rally folks were out riding and got caught in rain, wind, hail, and what was reported to be a tornado. No serious injuries but some had significant bruising from hail. Some had damage to their bikes. It was all over by the time we had pizza and door prizes. Redbird was late returning because he was following the crew clearing trees from the Canyon road.

We did well considering the severity of the storm. This group used skill, good judgment, and luck to return safely.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
got caught in rain, wind, hail, and what was reported to be a tornado
What no snow! Had pretty much everything else. Glad no one was hurt badly.
That will be one of those rides that didn't go as maybe it was planned but you will not forget it.

Brad

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Coming Home:

This morning I was at the campground by 8 AM and nearly everyone was gone. Tipster and his wife from the ST Forum were still there and they may have been a few others, but the NT group was all gone except for Jim Moore, whose wife was coming back up from Whitney, NE, to pick him up (or at least that's what she told him!). Ken was packing and loading his bike while Jim and I visited.

We rode to Safeway for gas. I had a numerical coincidence of the kind that no one else in world would probably appreciate, but I did, so you get to either read about or skip to the next paragraph. :rofl1: I happened to be entitled to a $.30 discount for this purchase and when I calculated my gas mileage, as I always do, lo and behold, my mileage and my expense were identical (except for the placement of the decimal point: 55.0 mpg and $5.50 total expense for the gas.

We intended to eat at McDonald's but they were in the midst of a total renovation of their restaurant, so we went to Burger King, a block west of McDonald's. They served Ken the wrong sandwich. So, naturally, he ate it all and then went up and complained, trying to get a free sandwich. He says that he only informed them of their mistake, and always intended to buy a 2nd sandwich. He might be telling the truth. Who knows?

We got out of Spearfish close to 10AM and headed west through Sundance (which had baseball-sized hail in Friday's storm), and then headed south through Newcastle, Lusk, Jay Em, and Lingle. At Lingle, Ken pulled alongside and pointed at his gas tank. We stopped at the only station in Lingle and were about 7th and 8th in line behind pickup trucks with trailers and a couple of cars. I finally asked Ken if he could make it 8 more miles to a station on the west side of Torrington. He told me that his computer said he had 15 miles left till empty, so we went for it...slowly. We kept our speed at 45 to the station, where Ken got something like 4.65 gallons into a tank that he thinks holds 4.8 gallons. He learned that the computer quits predicting range when it gets to 12 miles and starts blinking dashes.

After we got gas, it looked pretty good on radar to make it to Cheyenne without too much trouble, but radar lies! By the time we were 15 miles south of Torrington on US-85, we were looking at a nasty roll cloud and lots of cumulo-mammatus coming our way in a big hurry. When we passed through the little town of Hawk Springs, about 20 miles south of Torrington, we were in hard rain. After a few miles that turned to hard rain and small soft hail. The wind was blowing 30-35 through that stretch, which fortunately lasted only about 15-18 miles. 85 bends to the SW at that point and the weather didn't look good in that direction. But due south didn't look too bad, so we hooked a left and rode through LaGrange, a little town of nearly 500 people, which is home to the Frontier Bible Academy, a pre-(or maybe post-) millennial school which churns out ministers for pre- (or post-) millennial churches.

Then it was south on WY-55, an interesting little road with whoops and twisties and open range (we only had to creep through two herds of cattle this time). At WY-216, Shirley (my semi-faithful GPS) tried to con me into turning west through Albin and back over to US-85 north of Cheyenne. But I've got eyes (and apparently more weather savvy than Shirley) so we kept going South to Pine Bluffs, the eastern-most Wyoming town on I-80. We decided to stop and take a look at radar. We hadn't been inside even long enough to order Subway sandwiches when the rain and wind hit. We ended up staying there for nearly 3 hours while storms chased each other NE.

Finally, Ken used his eyes to overrule my radar apps and informed me that we could make it to Cheyenne. He was right. He gave us some insurance by putting on his Frogg Toggs raingear. Naturally, we didn't get a drop of rain all the way home. We did see more cumulo-mammatus clouds and several lightning strikes south of us when we were on 80 and east of us when we were on 25 between Cheyenne and Loveland.

Some of you may remember my miseries last October when my bike wouldn't run well if I gave it more than half-throttle. It ran great on my trip to WV and home. It ran great on our way to Spearfish. It ran great yesterday when Jim and I took our 110 mile ride through the northern Black Hills. It ran great today...until after Torrington. Then it was back to its old stuff. No matter what gear I'm in or what rpm I'm turning, if I give it more than half-throttle it makes a funny sound like it's being choked and slows down. With the wind we were bucking on 80 and 25, I was doing good to coax 65mph out of it.

Seafoam seemed to have helped last winter, and I was ready to blame it on bad gas from Torrington. But Ken used the same 85 octane (and before you flat-landers get all exercised, let it be known that 85 octane works perfectly well in our rarified atmosphere of 4,000+' above sea level) and his bike ran fine. I'll throw some more Seafoam at it, but I'm also thinking I'll probably let the good Honda tech at Wild West Motorsports here in Greeley take a look.

I'm guessing fuel pump.

We shall see.

It was great to see everyone in Spearfish. I hope more of you can make it next year!

Trip Mileage: 905 [BTW, today's weather avoidance maneuvers turned a 388-mile trip into a 505-mile expedition. :) ]

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Glad you made it home safely and that your sidestand lowering helped your confidence factor. Next year I hope once again to join the other Spearfishermen at the rally.

MIke

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Got home Sunday evening after riding about 300 miles in the rain. I left Spearfish Sat AM and took Hwy 212 across SD into SW MN. It began to rain as I checked into a motel. I planned to get an early start to beat the Sunday rain, but at daylight it had already been raining for a couple hours. I checked all the forecasts for a break in the rain and found none. After packing up it was only raining harder so I took a morning nap and finally launched in the rain around 9:00 AM. I tried to go slow to allow the big cloud to pass me by, but no luck. I finally got out of the rain about 200 miles later (for about 30 miles). Then it rained the rest of the way home and quit as soon as I got home.

I think I saw about 15" of rain during the 6 days I was gone. There was about 7" on Monday around Sioux Falls SD. Lots of flooding and closed roads. Several showers on Tuesday AM. Then there was the storm at Spearfish with rain and hail, but I was at the campground and not really "in" it. Then the long ride home in the rain. I've never seen SD so green.

Sorry for the lack of documented details in my version which Phil would have provided. I don't write that stuff down. I don't keep track of my gas and mileage either. Trip mileage was about 2,000 plus or minus 10%. I have all I can do to stay on the correct highway and I sometimes miss that. I only hope to remember some of the people I met, most of the good times, and plan to give it a go next year again.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I was afraid you had rain most of the way, Jim. Glad you made it home safe. Hope you've dried out today!

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Phil has already described much of our Spearfish trip this year, including our Friday morning ride. I should have quit and hung around the campground after that one but no, by 2:30pm I decided to do another short ride that Chuck Henderson had described to me so I hit the starter button and headed down Spearfish Canyon (highway 14A) to highway 85. Then down 85 toward Lead, SD where I turned off to head down county road 17 to Rochford, a little place with a population or 9 or so. Unless you ride dirt roads (I have, but not this time) you need to head back the way you came in, so back up 17 I went. The sky was really looking dark, with menacing clouds. Time to forget posted speeds and MOVE! I got to 85, made the turn at Cheyenne Crossing and headed up Spearfish Canyon. I was a couple of miles up the canyon when the sky opened up, dumping sheets of fiercely windblown rain with a bit of soft hail to boot. And lightning! Then traffic stopped. Great! Suddenly I hear a voice call "Up Here"! I was even with a driveway on my right and saw this guy opening his garage door. Not needing to be asked twice I headed up and into the garage stopping next to a very nice Harley Davidson Tourer. I yelled "THANK YOU", got my mesh jacket off, and my soggy tee shirt, pulled out a dry sweatshirt and my rain gear top from the top box, thought about the rain gear pants but I was already soaked so I left them in the box. On with the sweatshirt - that felt good - and waited. The homeowner, Tim, had been asleep when a pine tree fell on his deck. If it had been any taller it would have hit the house roof so some luck there. The wind and rain eased up so I put on my mesh jacket, then the rain suit top, got the bike out of the garage and headed up the road. I got about 200 feet up the road and traffic stopped. Turns out a tree had fallen across the road. There was a SUV with emergency lights going up by the tree and either a county deputy or a forest ranger cut the tree opening one lane of the road. We all moved 40 feet and stopped - another tree. Then 30 feet and stopped - another tree. There were more then a dozen trees across the road, maybe 20, and more snapped off about 20 feet up the trunk. I learned later that there were reports of a small tornado in the area. From the look of the trees, I believe it. If i had been 5 to 10 minutes earlier heading up Spearfish Canyon I would have been right in it. The local crews were right on it, coming the other way with chain saws, and Bobcats to push the trees off the road. As I headed slowly up the canyon I saw a front end loader going the other way, then a plow truck, plow down to the tarmac, no doubt to scrape off the small branches and pine boughs. I did get back to the campground in time for Friday night pizza. Sorry - no pictures - the thought of grabbing my camera never crossed my mind in all this, it was enough to just keep the bike upright. Quite an afternoon but a good ending for sure.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Some of you may remember my miseries last October when my bike wouldn't run well if I gave it more than half-throttle. It ran great on my trip to WV and home. It ran great on our way to Spearfish. It ran great yesterday when Jim and I took our 110 mile ride through the northern Black Hills. It ran great today...until after Torrington. Then it was back to its old stuff.
Phil
I had a similar experience on my way to ride AZ191 3 yrs ago, and this may sound silly but here's what my problem was: I had just ridden around a watermelon festival in Plains, TX and was on my way to Roswell when my bike started to do the same thing. I was sick about it but very quickly realized ( and this had never happened before or since) Unbeknownst to me, my right toe was riding the brake, causing the motor to labor so hard it sounded and felt like a miss

is it possible your toe is coming to rest on the brake pedal once in a blue moon?

Just sayin'

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
is it possible your toe is coming to rest on the brake pedal once in a blue moon?
Clay, I hit the rear brake once on our way up to Spearfish -- I know because it turned off my cruise control. But on the way back, that wasn't the issue. Thanks for the suggestion, though...

I'm open to any ideas from anyone and won't be insulted no matter what the idea is.

Top Bottom