Splicing into the brake line.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I want to install a brake light strobe module and need to identify the brake wire color. I thought I saw a post here that had the information but, can't seem to find it.
Thanks in advance, Clint

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Clint,

Some previous posts were deleted due to links or promotions to those providing pirated copies of service manuals. WE do not support the selling or distribution of pirated copies whether they are cheap or free. This being a site devoted to a HONDA motorcycle, it seems just right that we do not allow such practices which undermine Honda.

Now, if you look at this post, someone has already written out which wires to tap into:
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?570-Admore-LED-Lighting-in-Honda-NT700VA-Top-Box&p=97772&viewfull=1#post97772

also, one of the best and simple tools I have is a circuit tester like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Laser-4911-Circuit-Tester-General/dp/B009WPROUS/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1384175236&sr=1-8

They are all over the place so any auto shop or walmart will have them and probably cheaper. I always use them JUST TO DOUBLE-CHECK WHAT I SEE ON A FORUM because you never know when wire colors might change with different year model bikes and it's always good to measure 5 or 6 times before you accidentally make the magic smoke come out of the wires... LOL

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
On my 2010 ABS model the color code at the the base of the bulb holder was:

Red = Brake Lights This changes to Green / Yellow at the first connector.
Black = Ground This changes to Green at the first connector.
White = Tail Lights This changes to Black / Brown at the first connector.

The "first connector" is a 6 Pin Mini connector in a small compartment in the tail trunk area where the tool kit should have been installed....

It is always a good idea to double check with a voltmeter or test light...I've had manuals that were wrong. I prefer the additional info a multimeter provides, this Klein on Amazon, or something similar, is all you should need for basic wiring. Unlike test lights that are "Go / No Go" a meter can help troubleshoot low or high voltage issues, continuity, resistance and other problems and they aren't that expensive now days.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
PLEASE, don't ever splice into a brake hydraulic line. Wiring for the brake lights, not such a big deal.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Thanks everyone, that's what I needed to know.
Clint

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
PLEASE, don't ever splice into a brake hydraulic line. Wiring for the brake lights, not such a big deal.
Yeah! He scared the hell out of me too with the title of his post. Then I read where he meant the wiring!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
And this looks to be a legitimate (non-pirated) manual at a $30 savings over what most of us paid for ours.

It's worth it for the wiring diagram alone.

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
Yeah! He scared the hell out of me too with the title of his post. Then I read where he meant the wiring!

Mike
Sorry about that. I will be more careful in the future.
Clint

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Boy, I hope so, Clint! We don't have much tolerance for inaccuracy on this Forum. :)
You're right Phil.. and I'm pretty sure 'Forum' shouldn't be capitalized in your previous statement. :rofl1:

I was about 99.9% certain he wasn't talking about the hydraulic line but even if he was, that's okay because he would have found out quickly that line doesn't tap into very well... LOL

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
After reading this thread I am more and more convinced not to attempt ANY wiring. It was really simple in the good old days when wires were Red and Black. Being colourblind, I would never attempt to do anything on the NT. On the Yamaha, I did redo the fuse box by cleverly labeling each wire with a number kit I got at Radio Shack. To be safe, I called a friend to confirm the colours before I hooked up the battery.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
looks to be a legitimate (non-pirated) manual
Are you sure? It looks to have a plastic binding strip, and I don't think the holes are really punched for a binder. The price is right, but it looks suspicious to me. On the other hand, it may be legit. Ken

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The links shown for service manuals in this thread link to a source that sells copied manuals. If you have the link look at the name on the sheet of paper in the photo of the manual, that user is no longer on eBay.... Then do a Google on the name and read the comments....

Please do not post the link again....

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
George,

The seller may well sell some "legit" manuals as well as photo copies. If you Google his other business name you'll find posts talking about buyers receiving copied manuals. To avoid any copyright issues on the forum please do not link to him....

OP
OP
daler
Bike
2011 Black NT700
I just wanted all to know that I installed the brake light strobe module from Superbrightleds.com. It was an easy install and they work as advertised.
Clint

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The links shown for service manuals in this thread link to a source that sells copied manuals. If you have the link look at the name on the sheet of paper in the photo of the manual, that user is no longer on eBay.... Then do a Google on the name and read the comments....

Please do not post the link again....
Since manuals are being mentioned I saw that Haynes now has a manual for the NT. Anyone here purchased one by chance? I think they have to be ordered and shipped from England.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Since manuals are being mentioned I saw that Haynes now has a manual for the NT. Anyone here purchased one by chance? I think they have to be ordered and shipped from England.
That is great news as Haynes makes very good manuals to supplement OEM shop manuals IMHO... Just be aware the UK Deauville info will not be exactly same as the North American NT. The Deauville will have more parts shown and a different wiring diagram to support them.

skiper

How is the Haynes book different ? Do you like it ? Does it explain procedures in more detail - "written for owners vs shop mechanics" ? I was looking at a book from late 70's and it was well written , to the proud owner , how to care and maintain and was a joy t read. MY HONDA tech manual is too concise . Seems it is just for shop staff. I was wanting a book written to help me maintain my illustrious and fabulous NT.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Being colourblind, ...
In the old days (up to about 1980 or so, being slightly colorblind would be enough to keep you out of a military electronics training program. Nowadays, practically all military electronics are wired with white wire. Can make it difficult to manually trace electronic circuits.

tawilke46

All white wiring??? That would be a challenge. Are all resistors also the same color now? Oh do they still use resistors? I suppose in this era of micro electronics, maintenance would consist of throw away and replace.

Top Bottom