Spot Alternative: Bubbler GPS (Android)

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
www.bubblergps.com

Whitehorse Gear shared this link on Facebook having been told about it by a visiting LD rider.

It collects the data and you share it via Spotwalla like you would with a Spot device. Difference being, there is no subscription.

Looks promising. I plan to check this one out.

There is a free and a paid ($9.99) version. Differences according to their website:

Bubbler GPS can be installed via Google Play. There are 2 versions, "Pro" and "Lite". Both versions have the same instructions, but differ in 3 areas:

1. Lite can store 5 track points or messages between internet access. Pro can store 1500.
2. Lite can create track points (orange SpotWalla.com dots) in 15 minute intervals. Pro defaults to 10 minutes, with 5 minute intervals possible.
3. Pro can take pictures, and show those pictures in your trip map in SpotWalla.com.

If going in the boonies I'll get an emergency locator beacon, SPOT and have a riding partner. I used to hunt and hike alone out in the woods for days at a time (before cell phones). When I think about it I realize how dumb that was, but, we were used to not being in touch with people 24/7.

One reason I stay with Verizon is their coverage out here. Rarely am I out of the service area if I stay on US and state highways. Heck, we even had coverage when we were out Elk hunting on the forest trails.

If you need something purely for trip mapping purposes, this would be the cheaper option as smartphones don't require a cell connection to locate you via GPS (but they can also triangulate you from cell signals, too, as well as wifi signals regardless of whether you're connected to them). If out of cell range, the program will log the coordinates and then upload them to spotwalla next time you have a data connection.

For emergency purposes, out of cell range, this would do nothing to help you!

I named this thread poorly, as it's not really a spot alternative - it's more a trip-mapping alternative.

Back
Top Bottom