ST1300 Hondaline top box adapted to NT700

Rich

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
This may be of only academic interest, but I was fairly easily able to put the top box from the ST1300 I traded in onto my NT700. Contributing factors:

1. The dealer didn't care whether or not the top box remained on the ST. They didn't include it in the tradein value.
2. The colors of the two bikes are both a close match to the top box. Not exact, but close enough.
3. The previous owner of the NT700 had had a Givi box on it and moved it to the new bike he bought. He left the dealer the Givi adapter and hardware and this was given to me.

Basically what's needed for the adapter plates for the two bikes is very similar. Four machine screws are removed from the rear plastic cover and spacers and new screws mount in their location to hold the plate in place. The only difference between the two is the spacing of the screw pattern and the fact that (at least in the forward mounting screws) the spacers need to be longer in the NT than the ST.

So I measured the spacing and drilled new 9mm (actually used a 3/8" drill bit) holes in the plate and mounted the plate to the NT using the Givi spacers and machine screws. Looking at the photo of the plate mounted to the NT, you can see the original holes.

And here is a very interesting "coincidence": For this to work reasonably, the stamping of the plate needed to be able to accommodate both hole patterns, and it does, perfectly. How can such an accommodating similarity occur? Don't care. I was able to put a top box on, essentially for free.

Attachments

• trunkmount.jpg
    trunkmount.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 73
May be becouse the plate is used for both the 1300's and the 700's Honda topbox. Please post pictures of what the box looks like mounted on the bike. Side View and back and front views. Thanks.

More pictures

These show the slight color mismatch, which I prefer to think of a stylish red-on-red motif:smile:

Attachments

• richtoys.small.jpg
    richtoys.small.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 58
  • rearview.small.jpg
    rearview.small.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 49
That doesn't look bad at all. What year was the top box for? It looks like the 2008/2009 candy red.. I bet the 2005 red would be a better match, just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom