Starting issues

Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
My 2010 NT ABS has been doing this randomly. The bike runs great, it’s comfortable and I’m grown fond of this bike. Every once in a while I will park, run into a store, get on the bike and it just cranks and cranks. No popping,sputtering,unburnt fuel smells, nothing but cranking. This can go on 3-4 tries and then it starts like nothing happened? Before I whip out my tool’s has anybody experienced this too?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Does it set any codes?
The crank position sensor seems to act up when engine is hot like stopping for fuel and has been known to do so intermittently. You might search for some threads on that.
Intermittent stuff can be difficult.

Good Luck,
Arknt

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Second vote for crank position sensor.

What you describe are classic symptoms and there are quite a few reports of the problem by other forum members.

Seagrass

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Both times my crank position sensor acted up was always a few minutes after I'd stopped for fuel on a hot day. During that short time period, engine temp skyrockets since all air flow has stopped and coolant is no longer being circulated.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ditto! I'm always hesitant about seat of the pants diagnoses, but in this case it sure sounds like the CKP sensor. Not a terribly difficult or costly replacement and to the best of my knowledge, no one has had a repeat of the problem since replacement of the sensor.

Mike

OP
OP
Charlie U
Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
I very capable of most repairs, but never did a CPS replacement on a motorcycle as of yet. I like to watch a video on it before I do this. I’m not seeing one on YouTube University. Any pointers? Thanks in advance!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I very capable of most repairs, but never did a CPS replacement on a motorcycle as of yet. I like to watch a video on it before I do this. I’m not seeing one on YouTube University. Any pointers? Thanks in advance!
The CKP sensor is located under the right engine cover along with the clutch. If you can find a You Tube video of a clutch replacement on the NT you will see 95% of what's required. There is no gasket on the right cover so you should use a sealant such as Honda Bond. Permatex gray motorcycle sealant is the equivalent and is much more available. I believe you said you have the service manual and that outlines the procedure quite well. IIRC the manual says to remove the muffler and front pipe. The muff does need to come off and prepare to use your cussifier and caution the women folk and children to cover their ears. The front pipe should be loosened although several on the forum have been able to extract the cover without loosening the pipe. Use the torque specs in the manual as you will be dealing with aluminum castings.

Hope this helps!

Mike

OP
OP
Charlie U
Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
The CKP sensor is located under the right engine cover along with the clutch. If you can find a You Tube video of a clutch replacement on the NT you will see 95% of what's required. There is no gasket on the right cover so you should use a sealant such as Honda Bond. Permatex gray motorcycle sealant is the equivalent and is much more available. I believe you said you have the service manual and that outlines the procedure quite well. IIRC the manual says to remove the muffler and front pipe. The muff does need to come off and prepare to use your cussifier and caution the women folk and children to cover their ears. The front pipe should be loosened although several on the forum have been able to extract the cover without loosening the pipe. Use the torque specs in the manual as you will be dealing with aluminum castings.

Hope this helps!

Mike
Ok, I believe it’s called a Pulse Generator?

OP
OP
Charlie U
Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
Ok. Thanks. I got confused with the cam sensor when it cam to ordering. Something different got thrown in the mix.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ok. Thanks. I got confused with the cam sensor when it cam to ordering. Something different got thrown in the mix.
He... he... he... you will find at times that there are many names for the same thing. Interestingly, in the parts manual the part is called a pulse generator which is exactly what it IS. In the service manual however, it is called the CKP (crankshaft position sensor) which is exactly what it DOES. About 20 years ago, the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) made an effort to standardize automotive nomenclature worldwide in an effort to avoid confusion. The name/abbreviation for the crank sensor became the CKP. As you have found however, the public ignored the best efforts of the SAE and continued to call stuff whatever they damned well pleased ;). In fact, the "official" name for the alternator became the generator so you can see how successful they were.

Mike

Top Bottom