[Review] Stealth Edge on Windscreen

Enty7

Hi from suuny South Africa.
Two weeks back I fitted a length of the SAENG Stealth Edge to the standard screen on 2010 NT. (www.saeng.com - a nice selection of wallet bashing farkles!)
I don't know if any of the other NT Owners have fitted/tried it.
After a couple of rides I can definitely say that it has changed the performance of the screen.
The airflow noise is softer/lower/different.
The "shape" of the air "cocoon" has changed as well (larger?).
Best of all, the dreaded "Helmet Shake" is gone. (I am obviously to "tall" from the seat of my pants to the top of my helmet for the standard screen" when seated on the bike.)
If lean forward just a tad, then I am in the "zone", and cruising at 120-140 kmh is an absolute pleasure.
As a product it is cheap (for Americans - cost me 3 arms and a leg in exchange rates, customs, shipping etc.) and (for me), effective.
I will keep you posted. regards, Enty7 - South Africa

Bob

Do you think it looks good with the edging? Can you post a picture? Did you just do the top of the screen or the sides also? Thanks.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Curious little farkle. Please post an update once you've put some more miles on with it. I personally don't care for the solid black frame around the windscreen, but hey, if it works it works.

elizilla

Five or ten years back, all the LD guys were installing the Saeng edging. Many of them swore by it, and others said snake oil. I never did try it, and I haven't heard anything about it in a while now. Seems worth a try, at least.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I used it for awhile (ten-twelve years ago) on my Connie and found it more annoying as an interruption of the visual field than helpful in changing the still air pocket. The only positive I ever found with it was in hard rain, after I started using a strip about a foot long across the top of the windshield. Then it seemed to deflect rain more to the side, but I still didn't like it when it wasn't raining. It doesn't rain enough here to make it worth keeping on and stopping to put it on was annoying. I lost my little strip and haven't missed it.

Raycad

I installed one on a 1990 ST1100, along the top and both sides of the windscreen and transferred it on a 2000 ST1100. It's big and black but it did an excellent job of deflecting air, rain AND bugs. It was of no use on my 2005 Concours because of the top flip on the OEM windscreen. On the vertically flat (and relatively small) windscreen of the NT, it could help a lot, especially if installed on top and both sides. Anyway, it doesn't cost a lot to try!

Ray

OP
OP

Enty7

Hi All,
Thanks you for your comments.
1) SAENG sell a minimum order length of 3 feet. I ordered 3 and a half feet.
2) Used 3 feet to fit on the sides and top in one piece. (The left over price I will fit to my coffee cup, so when mother-in-law comes to visit I can just sit and sip coffee and the blah-blah will go over my head.)
3) The "black line" in the field of vision hasn't bothered me yet.
4) Am experimenting with different screen heights to check the farying effects.
5) Will post photos.
Thank you. Regards, Enty7, South Africa

silverdevil

where did you get the wording of "SAENG Stealth Edge"?
there is nothing stealthy about it, it is suppose to move air and rain above it.
I have a Stallion Trike and you can not see over top of the windshield so Saeng Edging keeps the rain out of the inside of the cockpit, not all of it but most of it.
because the NT windshield is adjustable I don't see a need for the Saeng Edging, a larger and new windshield is just a few bucks more than the price of the edging if you wrap it around both sides and the top.

OP
OP

Enty7

Hi All,
Thanks again for your comments.
Photos attached.
You will notice that the Stealth Edge "kinks" on the corners of the screen. That is no fault of the product, it's the way I decided to fit the Edge. The radius of of the corners is too sharp for the Edge.
I don't like the look of the Edge on the bike, but fitted it for the functionality, which, so far, has proved effective.
Thank you. regards, Enty7, South Africa.

Attachments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That looks pretty good... But, since I already have a Cee-Bailey +2 "flip" windshield I don't need it on the NT. But I may try this on the Wee instead of a replacement windshield, between it and the Magstad adjustable bracket it might work fairly well...

Fourvalve

I had the Saeng edging on my V-Strom w/ CalSci medium screen & Madstadt (-sp?) adjustable mount, for over 25k. Loved it! Not only was the ride quieter, it seemed to increase the "bubble" of air around the shield by about 2". Every now & then, I'd take it off to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, but no matter where I had the screen adjusted, the edging just made it better.
Getting used to the black edge around the screen was a pita, but I'll have it on every bike I own from now on.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I purchased the Saeng edge for my stock windshield a couple of weeks ago. I just need that one or two inches more to get rid of the buffeting. It definetly makes a difference. When it arrived I had a lot of trouble getting it on at first. So then I broke down and read the instructions. After using the handle of a butter knife to spread the metal a little, and then having to squeeze it back down again, I was able to get the edging on. I rode back and forth to work (70 miles round trip mostly on interstate)for a week and it does help alot.

However, I was riding from Memphis into Arkansas last week and all of a sudden the left hand end came loose, and before I could catch it it blew all the way off. I was right in the middle of the section where I40 and I55 run together in West Memphis. I pulled over as quickly as I could, but by the time I got back and was able to pick it up, it had been run over by about 20 - 30 semi trucks. I put it in my tank bag and re-installed it at my next stop. However, it blew off again within 10 miles on a non-interstate highway going about 60mph. I have not tried it again.

I know that I need to spend some time adjusting the fit so that it is tight enough to stay on.
I am considering cutting into three sections. One for the top, and one for each side so that the kink at the corner does not effect the fit.
I am also considering just notching it where it turns the corners.

I really do like the way the edging helps with the turbulence. I just don't want to have to stop and pick it up very often.

hondaaddict

I've never seen a white NT. That is the best color.

Top Bottom