Stop sale, all BMW's!!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I an unusual move, BMW is ordering their US dealers to stop the sale of their new and used BMW motorcycles effective immediately. BMW is advising their dealers that the stop sale order is not safety related leading one to believe that it is somehow emissions related. Stop sale orders while not common are unusual when they affect all vehicles in inventory both new and used. Here is a link....

UPDATE: BMW North America Orders A Stop Sale On All Gas-Powered BMW Bikes (rideapart.com)

It will be interesting to see how this evolves....

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The only thing the BMW dealers can sell presently is their electric scooter so I'm sure they're not happy! :mad:

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It must be an evap component that has been used for a long time by BMW as they specify no MY cutoff for the stop sale directive.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Tried to browse some local/European news on this issue, not much released, all well kept under a clasp as we say...

I was able to find that it covers North America and Canada, probably an EVAP issue leading to loss of Homologation due to violation of emission regs...

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The thing I find most curious is that it seems to apply to ALL gas powered BMW's new and used in dealer inventory. At least that's the way I read it. That seemingly means many old timers that were manufactured and sold long before they were subject to any Federal emissions standards. I don't recall when the Feds decided to include motorcycles in the emissions regs but suppose it was in the mid 80's. If BMW has a problem dating back to the mid 80's, that could result in a huge, costly recall. It will be interesting to see this develop.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Here's a link to the EPA regs. It seems that motorcycles began to be considered in 1978 but under very loose regs. In 2005 things became stricter and in 2010, stricter yet. Depending on how far back BMW has violated the regs it could be a considerable number of bikes. It is my understanding that the EU regs are stricter yet.

US: Motorcycles: Emissions | Transport Policy

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I can't be sure, but I believe I detected a note of sarcasm....
:rofl1:
Mike
All vehicles in the EU will soon be powered by coal.
The European Commission has released its proposals for the ‘Euro 7’ emissions limits that will be the last stage of cuts made to combustion-engined four-wheelers before a total ban on all non-zero emissions cars in 2035. Since current motorcycle emissions limits are a carbon-copy of the car standards it’s likely that bikes will also be expected to hit the new targets – albeit at a later date.

At the moment the ‘Euro 6’ limits for cars are essentially aligned with the ‘Euro 5’ standards that new bikes have to meet. That means motorcycle ‘Euro 6’ – whenever it arrives – is likely to take the new ‘Euro 7’ standards for cars as a template. The Euro 7 car rules are due to be phased in from 1st July 2025, but there’s currently still no schedule for the introduction of motorcycle Euro 6 or any firm proposals as to what the motorcycle standards will be.

As the last step towards cleaner combustion engines before that technology is consigned to the history books, with zero tailpipe emissions mandatory for new cars in Europe from 2035, the changes for Euro 7 aren’t as radical as some earlier emissions limits. Essentially, the rules take the current limits for tailpipe emissions for petrol and diesel cars and standardise them across both fuel types – picking the lower emission limit in every area where there’s currently a difference. For petrol engines, that means there will be no change in hydrocarbon (HC) or NOx emission limits, but carbon monoxide (CO) limits will be halved from 1g per km to 0.5g per km.

The Euro 7 rules will also introduce new testing methods intended to replicate short trips and different temperatures, as well as introducing compliance checks to make sure vehicles still meet the limits until 200,000km and 10 years, double the longevity of the Euro 6 limits.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
This talk has brought up past old memories from the early days (maybe about 1970) of emission regs when the learning curve was pretty steep. Did not want to start-up a vehicle and try to drive off in cold weather, you might stall out in front of someone else when pulling out.
These things take time to work out the bugs. Hope it works out for all of us.

Arknt

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Did anyone hear/read about what exactly precipitated the stop sale order?

Mike

Top Bottom