Stranded

hat817

At cruise speed noticed the PGM-FI light blink,bike missed. About 10 minutes later bike shut down at 70 mph. 10 month old battery is bad, bike charging system is ok. Anyone else had this happen? This could have been a bad situation in heavy traffic. Guessing fuel injection shuts down at a certain voltage.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
At cruise speed noticed the PGM-FI light blink,bike missed. About 10 minutes later bike shut down at 70 mph. 10 month old battery is bad, bike charging system is ok. Anyone else had this happen? This could have been a bad situation in heavy traffic. Guessing fuel injection shuts down at a certain voltage.
Batteries can fail without any early warnings, especially these AGM batteries. For me, they usually start the bike fine at home just fine. Stop at a gas station or run an errand, click, click, click goes the starter solenoid and then you're stranded. Your issue sounds a lot like that an internal connection bar was cracked making intermittent connections and then separated completely momentarily and you lost power.

I am old enough to remember motorcycles having both electric start and kickstarters. If the battery was low, you just kicked it over and you were on your way. As early as 1980 the Kickstarter started to be phased out. Older engine cover castings had the spot not drilled or had a plastic plug put into their holes. I sure do miss having a Kickstarter on a street bike.

Most electronics designed to operate at 12 VDC usually have a lower operating threshold of 9 VDC. Drop below that by a few tenths of a volt and all bets are off.

Replace the battery and you should be fine. Some battery manufacturers want you to return the battery for them to do their own testing and investigation into the battery's failure. Then you have no battery at all for several weeks. If you have a riding season, you cannot wait on them to make a determination and send out a replacement battery 4-6 weeks later. You would probably just buy another battery and ride the bike. This happened to me. They sent me a replacement battery and it sat on a shelf for 4 years never used or installed in the bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I've never had this happen. Haven't seen it on the boards either as a common problem. It was probably an internal short in the battery, due to poor manufacturing. When you say that the charging system is okay, I assume you used a voltage meter to measure voltage with engine off (~12v) and voltage with engine running (~14v). Yes, the FI will shutoff at low voltage since it is an electronic system and needs ~12v to operate normally.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Make sure there's no loose connections.

I had a problem with a battery installation on an NC700X...did much the same as you describe. Snugging everything and securing the battery, solved it.
I had ridden to Gardiner, MT, on my way to Hyder, Alaska, when I thought my battery on my Concours had died. There was no battery in Gardiner -- the nearest was in Livingston. I started fiddling around and it turned out the cable to the battery ground was loose. I tightened it up and used that battery another 2-3 years. The old men at the campground office were really impressed -- they thought that I must be a terrific motorcycle mechanic. Fooled 'em.

Top Bottom