Straping down the luggage

dnktng

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I'm planning a trip from Washington State to Colorado next month and need some straps to hold down a couple of duffel bags on the passenger seat. Looking locally I found nothing to my liking, then I found Strapworks online. Custom straps made to length, width, material, buckle styles, patterns, and colors. You can even get matching red or silver color straps... but the silver takes more time to ship.;) Prices are very low. Anyway, if you want some cheap custom straps, this looks like a great deal.

Mmm. Look like some pretty good deals. If I wasn't as happy with my ROK-straps as I am, I'd look a bit harder.

Strapworks looks like a nice site. I had seen some straps made with "D" rings and had some made. They are easy to make if you know someone with a sewing machine. Strapworks looks easy and reasonable. I know my straps are great for tieing down a pizza.

Brad

Related to this, I was thinking about getting something like this MotoCentric Mototrek Roll Tail Bag for the passanger seat. Do the built in straps on these tail bags work well or is it not worth it and better to just get some straps and use existing duffels and gym bags like you are all discussing?

I have the MotoCentric Mototrek Roll Tail Bag and it has worked great. Have used it on a 3 day 800+ mile ride into Canada and a 5 day 1350+ ride in Washington State, Oregon and Idaho. The built-in bungee cords work great and the waterproof cover worked great in some downpours in Canada. Would highly recommend it.

Check out the Helen Twowheels packing system and straps---www.helen2wheels.com. I have made a lot of camping trips with her bags an straps. The straps are hevy strap material that will not stretch and secured with D-rings. Jerry

If you do get a cheap duffle, like I have, then rain is a concern.

I use a large garbage bag, the heavy type, and put it inside the bag, packing everything inside the garbage bag. Everything stays dry and the wind won't rip the plastic.

You can also use multiple bags to separate stuff, like one ziploc bag for medicine, one for towels, etc. I always carry a few extra. When you have a damp/wet towel to pack they work good.

I also like bungee cords, the type with plastic hooks. If you carry a few small zip ties they can be shortened easily. I have tried regular straps, but, like John said, they work loose.

+1 on the Helen Twowheels straps. I've used them for years on a variety of bikes with no problems. I generally use the Helen Twowheels straps for my large Ortlieb duffel and use adjustable ROK straps for a smaller, lighter dry bag. Both strap types work well, but if I could only pick one type, I'd use the Helen Twowheels straps. You may also consider checking with your local BMW shop -- the straps that affix their bikes to the shipping crate work well. They often give-away these straps, or sell them inexpensively.

Back
Top Bottom