Stuck gear selector

Hi all, crawling out from beneath my rock to ask for some advice...

My 700va engages 1st & 2nd gear without trouble, but the lever will not lift in to 3rd,4th or 5th.
It was suggested on the U.K. site ( my side of the water), to slightly press the lever down before trying to lift - and this seems to work.
Apparently this indicates a broken fork return spring.
Number 12 in this diagram
honda-nt700va-deauville-2010-a-englandmkh-gearshift-drum_big00030481e__1700_f6a0.gif

Does anyone else have any thoughts before I try this?
The part is around £6, but the postage is 3 times that which is such an annoyance. I'll go for it if I have to, but thought I'd check in here in case anyone had other ideas.

Many thanks,

Shep

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Since it shifts after pressing down on the lever the broken return spring sounds logical.
Has there been any accidents or tip overs that may have caused slight binding on the shifter shaft (#10). That might mimic the problem. You might look close as you shift it by hand to check for lever return and binding issues.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Shep, hopefully someone on this side of the pond can assist you with an opinion, but truthfully, I know of no member in this forum that has had an occasion to get into the gearbox of a Deau. In looking at the illustration of the mechanism, your diagnosis makes sense but that's just a guess on my part.

Good Luck!

Mike

OP
OP
Thanks for the replies guys.
I think I'm gonna have to stump up the over priced postage for something no bigger than my thumb :mad:
Maybe I'll order some extra bits to make the postage worthwhile. I assume I'm going to need a gasket etc.

I'll take some progress photos, as I've never done anything like this before.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If the parts illustration does not show a gasket then the case is sealed with Hondabond or equivalent. Not just any sealant will work as well as Hondabond or its equivalent. On this side of the pond, we have Permatex Motoseal that is the equivalent.

Mike

OP
OP
Thanks for that Mike, a good tip.
My brother has found an 'old school'motorcycle spares shop not far from his house. The sort of place that has parts on the shelf from the 1950's , and he has put one on order for me. Should arrive in around 10 days, and my brother will post it to me for pennies.
Things are starting to look up:)

I'll check on the U.K. forum for the correct equivalent to Hondabond over here.

Thanks again.

Shep

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Sounds like you are getting things worked out.
It should not be a difficult repair, Not like splitting the gears out or anything. Maybe a little messy, thats what rags are for.
Hope the broken piece of the spring is there and accessible.

Arknt

Top Bottom