Success!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Success! Kind of a gloomy day so I decided to remove the stripped out side cover screw on my VFR. It is a little known fact that Honda hired a orangatan with a propeller nut torque wrench to put these screws in. By a combo of a hammer driver , easy out, and dremil tool and an hour of bad words, I broke it free. Here are pics of its location, and the screw after removal.
side cover screw 3.jpg
side cover screw 1.jpg
side cover scew 2.jpg
side cover screw 4.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
wooo hoooo! I love it when things like this can be accomplished. Gotta love EZ-outs.
Actually, If I hadnt had a chicom easy out set, and chicom drill bits, this would have gone alot quicker.....but they are so cheep that they wont drill into a bolt that can easliy be stripped out. Once I got the chicom dremil attachments to cut the notch, the easy out back threads caught it. The trick is to find tools that dont come from China.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Amen to the Chicom tools. If you have a screw that you suspect will be a SOB, before you booger it up, line up an impact driver and bit. If you have a pneumatic impact, all the better. Then take a rubber band and insert it in the recess and then insert the bit. Rubber bands have a wee bit of abrasive in 'em and the also take up the excess clearance in the fastener. The abrasive in the rubber band assures a good grip.

Mike

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Great tip about the rubber band. Thank you, Mike. The only tools I use are Craftsman (The old ones), Kobalt, and S&K (hard to find) Some of the "Pittsburgh" brand at Harbor Freight is OK, but you have to be careful--just like there is a huge difference between Made in China and Made in Taiwan.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Tip from experience: a small dab of copper slip (or AntiSeize) on the threads, should prevent any fancy language in the future...
(did so years ago on every fairing bolt of my ST1100... a Loctite 8065 Copper-Stick comes very handy...)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Tip from experience: a small dab of copper slip (or AntiSeize) on the threads, should prevent any fancy language in the future...
(did so years ago on every fairing bolt of my ST1100... a Loctite 8065 Copper-Stick comes very handy...)
Very proactive! I usually think of that sorta thing "after" I get it all put back together. Then I make a mental note to do it "next time". Next time rolls around and I will remember my mental note "after" it is once again put back together..... <sigh>......

:doh1:

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Very proactive! I usually think of that sorta thing "after" I get it all put back together.
Nah, more a BTDT issue... ;)
Once you've cussed over a number of stuck bolts and cross-threaded speed-nuts you make some countermeasures a habit...

Top Bottom