Suggestions for tires for aggressive riding?

MrSinator

The stock BT-020's didn't last long at all. I was running BT-023's after that and barely get 6k out of them. I tried Michelin Road 2's on a friend's suggestion after I caught a nail in the back tire. Barely 4k miles later and it's past the wear markers. I ride backroads and twisties about 75% of the time and I ride fast and aggressively. The sides are cupped and look horrible from the dual-compound and what a roar they have. Don't get me wrong, the Road 2's grip better than the Bridgestone BT-023's, wet or dry, and are comparable in price but I need something that will last longer. I'm willing to sacrifice some performance for tire life. I ride a road similar to Deal's Gap almost every weekend so I do need some good grip. I'm going to need a new front and rear in the next two months. Any suggestions? I prefer radial over bias.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Some folks on ST1300s have said the new PR3s are getting better mileage than the PR2s.

I think the issue is you're in an area with some great roads and you ride aggressively as you've stated. You can't have your cake and eat it too.. LOL. I would love to get your mileage out of a set of tires because it would mean I'm having a ton of fun... Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree with Mellow. From what I have experienced the PR3's are going to give you the best balance for wear and performance.

OP
OP

MrSinator

The prices on those (PR 3's) are a bit higher than what I'm used to. I know with my riding style the bike is going to eat rubber. Any idea what kind of mileage people are getting with those? And Mellow, if you ever get out here in the East TN area give me a shout. I'll point you to some great riding spots. Warren, you're only a couple of hours away. Look up Hwy 116 if you get out in this area, you'll see where I'm burning up those tires at. That starts at Petros, TN.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have 6500 on a PR3 back tire and I still have a long ways to go.
They are great in the twisties

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The prices on those (PR 3's) are a bit higher than what I'm used to. I know with my riding style the bike is going to eat rubber. Any idea what kind of mileage people are getting with those? And Mellow, if you ever get out here in the East TN area give me a shout. I'll point you to some great riding spots. Warren, you're only a couple of hours away. Look up Hwy 116 if you get out in this area, you'll see where I'm burning up those tires at. That starts at Petros, TN.
I have been looking for good places to ride. Is 116 part of the Devils Triangle ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just finished my first PR3 front tire at 17,300 miles. The back had gotten an non-repairable puncture at about 8200 miles. I couldn't get a PR3 in the Black Hills so I replaced it with a Dunlop RoadSmart 2. It only had a bit over 9,000 miles when I replaced it at the same time I replaced the front PR3.

I'm not sure I would characterize my riding style as "aggressive." I am aware that, at 70 and after five knee replacements, I do NOT want any more orthopaedic surgeons messing with my extremites, and so I probably ride at 7/10s instead of the 9/10s I would have 10 years ago. But I ride fast, cruising at 80+ on 4-lane roads, 70-75 on 2-lanes. And I'm heavier than most folks, probably weighing with my 'Stitch and helmet, in the neighborhood of 280.

The PR3 is by far the best tire solution I've found for the NT. On my previous '99 Concours, I ran bias-belted tires and got my best mileage out of Dunlop E3s, Michelin Pilot GTs, and Metzler ME-880s. I tried a radial ME-880 on the front of the NT with a bias-ply ME-880 on the back and wasn't that pleased with the handling or the wear.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I just changed out the rear PR3 on my ST. I got almost 12000 miles out of it. I just put a set of PR3's on my NT700 and the handling is much improved with very good feed back. Can ride like the Wind on the NT700.......Well.... maybe like a stong Breeze.:rolleyes:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have been pleased with the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's, although I am not an agressive rider. They have lasted substantially longer that the OE Bridgestones. I've got about 13K on the set I have now and there is still a lot of life left in 'em. They are however about as pricey as the Michelins. The chaps in the UK forum seem to like the Avon Storms a great deal so you may want to consider those as well.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Look up Hwy 116 if you get out in this area, you'll see where I'm burning up those tires at. That starts at Petros, TN.
Hey, I found that road by accident a few years ago. I was visiting my son in Knoxville and went for a day ride while he was working. It was a great road - I rode it twice (both ways too). I met a "local" there when I was pulled over for a rest stop who offered me his "jug" with some clear liquid of some sort in it. A day to remember.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The OEM Tyres on the NT-700 are pure unadulterated junk. I put on a set of PR3s and it was like a different bike. The PR3s are superb in the wet and track very nicely on our crowned roads here in Maine. On the slab you can go as fast as you want and still keep your license. I have always liked Michelins--ran them on my Corvettes and Lotus.

Top Bottom