Summers Coming - Riding in The Heat

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
around here are based on one article by one doctor published in one non-medical journal." That is a fact... But since you mention it if you have more info than the one IBA article referenced please list them, or PM them to me, as I'd like to read them. I'm curious how using the removable rain liner in a mesh jacket might be able create the same or similar results. Kind of the "best of both worlds" concept if you will...
Wayne, I will respectfully point out that behind the article in the Iron Butt magazine is research backed up by Rear Admiral (ret) Don Arthur, the former surgeon general (I know, it seems dumb to me, too -- he ought to have been the surgeon Admiral of the Navy. I would suggest that he's not just an ordinary doctor. He's an extraordinary doctor and a way better than average long distance motorcycle rider as well.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
BTW, I'd hazard a guess that this topic may well have raised more heat than any other we've disagreed on in the history of this Forum.

And you're just plain wrong, Wayne. :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
And you're just plain wrong, Wayne. :)
"Wrong" for suggesting that people read the supporting documentation and make up their own minds what is best for them based on their riding style, ride duration, and locality? Did I say you were "wrong" for your riding gear choices? I think I said:

This comment isn't to say riding dressed the way the articles author, and some folks here, advocate is "wrong". If it works for you and you are comfortable with it go for it...ride your own ride.
What is "wrong" here is the assertion that only your choice, your solution, and your opinion works and that is really wrong... Telling other riders that unless they wear what you wear they will "cook" is "wrong". No piece of riding gear alone will protect you from dehydration, all of the available options require other actions by the rider to protect themselves. I'll make this statement again in case you missed my point:
All the tips listed such as wetting down shirts, wet neck towels, cooling vests, etc all help but the real key is to stay well hydrated regardless of whether you wear a t-shirt, mesh jacket, or a riding suit while riding.
This is a contentious topic but only because some people insist in dealing with only absolutes...as I too may be guilty of from time to time. But I will continue to encourage everyone to do their own research, evaluate all the options, then determine what works best for them based on their requirements.

Now if someone wants to start a thread on "Hot Weather Riding Techniques" that addresses all the variables, including varied gear types, proper hydration tips and techniques, and heat exhaustion and heat stroke warning signs that would be helpful...:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom