Sun Visor for Zumo 550?

Mattb

I purchased and installed a "Glarestomper" brand visor and am unhappy with it. It works ok, but after a few hot days the glue holding the base hook and loop strip gave way in places leaving a gooey residue on my $600 farkle.

I did the google/amazon/ebay search thing but a better solution didn't leap forward and yell "buy me".

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

I modified the Glarestomper hood I bought for my Magellan 4210 by sewing on Velcro strips to strap it on my GPS. I'm still not real happy with it but it is an improvement over the hooks and stretch bands it came with... I think my next attempt will to be to use some thin sheet stock plastic to bend / mold a three inch hood. Then I will permanently attach it to my GPS with Super Glue. My 4210 is an older unit, retired from the cars, so I don't have the cost consideration you have with your Zumo if I screw it up...:rolleyes1:

My aluminum one worked very well. So much so that I am working on a permanent "cowl" for it.

I have a question for you folks who have the Zumo's.

Garmin says they are readable in direct sunlight. So, why do you need a sunshield?

If I need to have a sunshield then I can use a car gps like I do now.

I believe Bags Connection has a "hooded" gps cover with visor...zips on (zipper looked weather proofed)...TT has them in stock (their site isn't reachable at the moment for some reason); go to shop.sw-motech.com - they're listed there too.

I have a question for you folks who have the Zumo's.

Garmin says they are readable in direct sunlight. So, why do you need a sunshield?

If I need to have a sunshield then I can use a car gps like I do now.

I can read my 550 fine in the sun. The problem is depending on the suns angle sometimes you get glare off the screen. A visor might help reduce it. There are also clear films available that you can place on the screen that might help with the glare that I might try.

Thanks. I just angle mine. If you put it "pointing" slightly down then most of the glare goes away. I also found that a lot of the 'glare' was a reflection of my jacket, not the direct sunlight. The down angle eliminated that as well.

Charlie B - how about posting a pic of your aluminum one so we can see how it fits? I fabricated one for my 2610 years ago but for the most part the Zumo seems to do well enough.

BTW, the only GPS I've used that could actually be seen without visual reduction in direct sunlight, and I mean direct sunlight was on my '10 Gold Wing. That display looked like it was made of a different material or employed a different technology and I never had to squint or shield it.
Maybe that's what you get for spending GW type dollars, as well you should. :doh1:

LL75 :)

I purchased and installed a "Glarestomper" brand visor and am unhappy with it. It works ok, but after a few hot days the glue holding the base hook and loop strip gave way in places leaving a gooey residue on my $600 farkle.

I did the google/amazon/ebay search thing but a better solution didn't leap forward and yell "buy me".

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

Matt,
What did the people you bought it from say? Seems like they should have replaced it or offered a refund if it doesn't hold up.
LL75

Here is my temporary one.

I now have a permanent one that mounts the GPS down lower (more like a little cowl for the GPS). Will take a picture of it in the next couple of days.

charlie

Attachments

• dash-1.jpg
    dash-1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom