Super Tenere gets tweaked

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
So far, just on EU sites...

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/super-tenere-gets-tweaked/23919.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt1200ze-super-tenere.aspx?view=features

Looks like ABS can be turned off easily and electronic suspension so the FJR got some of the Super Tenere stuff previously and now the Super Tenere gets some of the FRJ electronics... nice..

Hope it will make it to the US. I would say it's a year or two behind but that's good as it gives Europe time to test the time.

tawilke46

The additional perks look good and will make the bike more on par with the GS's.......but why delete the centerstand, grab bars, and rear rack? I like the a super Ten, just too tall and a little too heavy for my liking.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think Yamaha may end up becoming the source for my next bike. The 700cc parallel twin looks good as does the 900cc triple. I like the changes they've made to the FJR.

The Super Ten is too tall for me, but one of the lines I noticed somewhere in their announcements of the triple was that it was the first of a series of bikes using this engine. They've already announced a super-motard version for Europe. I can't believe that there won't be a sport-touring version (although maybe that's just wishful thinking).

tawilke46

I can't believe that there won't be a sport-touring version (although maybe that's just wishful thinking).

What will likely happen if a sport-touring version does come out is it will only be available in Europe. I too would like to see different bikes with the triple in them. That would be nice. Yamaha is on the right track here IMO.
I am with you Phil, my next bike might also be a Yamaha.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I can't believe that there won't be a sport-touring version...Phil]

It seems as though the adventure bikes have taken over what was the sport touring segment.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Intersting. I have been considering the current Super Tenere. Maybe I can get a good deal on a leftover when these make it over here.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
[...I can't believe that there won't be a sport-touring version...Phil]

It seems as though the adventure bikes have taken over what was the sport touring segment.
You probably know I was referring to the FZ-09, not the Super Tenere.

But you're right about the "adventure" bikes taking over the sport-touring segment. I don't understand why, but that's probably because I'm so short. :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...you're right about the "adventure" bikes taking over the sport-touring segment. I don't understand why...]

In many ways, it mirrors what happened in cars. Very few people need a car that is truly off-road capable but now the most popular models are SUVs. Minivans do everything people need but they got saddled with the title of "soccer mom car" so the SUVs got the nod. For most people, going up/down their gravel driveway is pretty far off-road.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like the new Ninja 1000. It seems to be a nice sport tourer. I'll see if I can get to try one out--although I have no plans to get rid of the 700.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think Yamaha may end up becoming the source for my next bike. The 700cc parallel twin looks good as does the 900cc triple. I like the changes they've made to the FJR.
<gasp!> Does Dudley know yer thinkin' of giving him the boot?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think the odds of anyone developing a new middle weight sport touring bike is slim. I agree that when you look at the specs of most adventure touring bikes they are really sport touring bikes. Most ridiers would have a hard time handling these bikes off road.

I was reading about the Honda VFR1200T. This was supposed to be the touring version of the VFR1200F. It was going to be equipped with an airbag and come with removable luggage. To me based on the picture I saw the bike looked similar to the FJR . It was supposed to be released in 2010 but due to the downturn in motorcycle sales they put it on the back burner. I suspect this will end up being the replacement for the ST1300.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
<gasp!> Does Dudley know yer thinkin' of giving him the boot?
Nah, but Dudley is like any beloved critter. They mostly die before we do. Dudley won't be going anywhere until he dies. But I hope to ride after that. Who knows -- I may die before he does. After all, I'm old and mortal.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
IF you are a long legged person and super strong the SUPER TEN would be a great tool. For me IT just won't fit, BUT my idea for a super MOTO may just lay in the recently aquirred 79 XT 500 . A nice low machine with ols style dual shocks on the rear, ??? in my mind is if I am going to be able to hadle the kick starting. IF not I am thinking of finding a later version big single with a Electric start and build my own super moto on a old school version frame that is in fine condition with only 5000 miles on the clock. Yes I know a number of folks will say it won't handle, BUT I was riding MX in Europe in 75- 77 on a 250 CZ that with some mods to the front en and Konie shocking on the rear +++ and it was capable of much more than I was.

Eldon

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Rob,
What do you think about this one?
Looks great to me. I've heard many good things about the Super Tenere's - not just from Mellow and Katherine here on this forum, but from others as well. The changes for this model are keeping it more aligned to the other offerings of the segment to remain competitive. And it's cheaper than the GS's and the Explorers, etc so that is a real boon. It's also arguably the most capable off road of the big-bore bunch. And it doesn't have a beak!

I hope it sells well. Competition is a good thing. I am drawn to the styling of ADV bikes more than any other type of bike. To me, the Tiger Explorer is the best looking bike there is, followed by the '14 BMW 1200GS (and that might be a tie), then the Guzzi Stelvio, then maybe the '14 V-Strom 1000. Granted, they all sort of look the same, but I like that design.

The styling of the Super Ten does not appeal to me personally, though. Something about the front end I can't get over and can't quite put my finger on it. The fact it doesn't look almost exactly like all the other big adv bikes should work in its favor though. From all I've heard it is an excellent bike. I would love to try one out some time to see how it feels compared to mine.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The new KTM 1190 Adventure may be more capable off road than the Super Ten. I don't know and won't ever find out, but it's an impressive machine.

Of course, I'd need a crane to get me up on the KTM!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have wanted a Super Tenere since I heard they were coming to the states. I wasn't ready to put down a deposit and wait 3-4 months so I bought the NT. I don't regret buying the NT, but the desire to have an Super Tenere never went away. In fact, since picking up the DR650 and seeing how the long travel suspension handles the pot holes and crappy roads around here, I want one more than ever. I have my eyes on a used one at a dealers but it is far enough away that I haven't gone to look at it in person. I am afraid I wouldn't be able to resist if I did. Unless things change I will probably get one of the current models next spring. It will be like combining the NT and the DR into one bike.

Top Bottom