Suzuki CEO may eliminate dealers?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
An interesting idea for sure but not entirely possible in some of our states as Tesla and others have discovered.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. In Missouri we have laws on the books preventing manufacturers from selling directly to the public as all sales must be channeled through a franchised dealer assigned a specific territory. I can certainly understand Suzuki's motivation for this move as I think the majority of multi-franchise dealers do not represent their brands very well. My local dealer for example represents the big Japanese four plus Polaris and at one time Victory. They only carry a small representation of each manufacturers line and by and large are not very knowledgeable about their brands line up. Further, inventory costs being what they are they can only carry a small fraction of each manufacturers parts inventory. Finally, today many of the powersports dealerships are owned by franchised automobile dealers whose only interest in powersports is as a profit center.
When I first entered motorcycling as a customer and then as an employee, motorcycle dealerships were owned by motorcycle enthusiasts who had a passion for the sport and their product. They usually carried only one line, in my case Honda and stocked a sampling of all of the manufacturers models. As business grew and customers wanted to "graduate" up to a bigger bike, many dealers added on a British line such as Triumph, BSA or Royal Enfield but they also undertook the responibility of becoming knowledgeable about their offerings and stocking an adequate range of parts.
The problem with Suzuki's approach as I see it is that they will likely become another Moto Guzzi or Ducati and only have sales and service at metro locations. This will make it difficult to properly demonstrate and service their products and will discourage many customers from considering Suzuki products.

Your thoughts?

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
There goes the moto industry. The young people are not buying motorcycles now. And older riders want to touch feel and see in person. I am not going to spend upwards 20000 dollars based on an internet picture. Glad I am, old as I will not have to deal with all this "modern" nonsense. Not to mention how to get the machine serviced. Most young people can't tell the difference between an open end wrench or a box end wrench, let alone how to use one. If it does not have a key board or key pad they are lost.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. In Missouri we have laws on the books preventing manufacturers from selling directly to the public as all sales must be channeled through a franchised dealer assigned a specific territory. I can certainly understand Suzuki's motivation for this move as I think the majority of multi-franchise dealers do not represent their brands very well. My local dealer for example represents the big Japanese four plus Polaris and at one time Victory. They only carry a small representation of each manufacturers line and by and large are not very knowledgeable about their brands line up. Further, inventory costs being what they are they can only carry a small fraction of each manufacturers parts inventory. Finally, today many of the powersports dealerships are owned by franchised automobile dealers whose only interest in powersports is as a profit center.
When I first entered motorcycling as a customer and then as an employee, motorcycle dealerships were owned by motorcycle enthusiasts who had a passion for the sport and their product. They usually carried only one line, in my case Honda and stocked a sampling of all of the manufacturers models. As business grew and customers wanted to "graduate" up to a bigger bike, many dealers added on a British line such as Triumph, BSA or Royal Enfield but they also undertook the responibility of becoming knowledgeable about their offerings and stocking an adequate range of parts.
The problem with Suzuki's approach as I see it is that they will likely become another Moto Guzzi or Ducati and only have sales and service at metro locations. This will make it difficult to properly demonstrate and service their products and will discourage many customers from considering Suzuki products.

Your thoughts?

Mike
Mike,
I have noticed that many of these multi brand dealers are now carrying many other Power Sports vehicles that are taking up lots of show room space. Things like side by sides etc. I assume this makes up for some of the loss in motorcycle sales.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike,
I have noticed that many of these multi brand dealers are now carrying many other Power Sports vehicles that are taking up lots of show room space. Things like side by sides etc. I assume this makes up for some of the loss in motorcycle sales.
Absolutely Warren. Motorcycle sales have been in the tank for years. ATV's and UTV's are the bread and butter of the powersports industry here in the US.

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Oops...turns out the YouTube site called "Motorcycle Central" is full of mostly BS clips such as this one. Sorry all! :mad:

Top Bottom