Tail bags

Peace2U_2

Say,....has anyone purchased a tail bag for their NT that they really really like and would recommend. Eventually, i will make the investment for top box....but, for my needs right now...a room tail bag out to work great. something big enough or with the capability to expand to fit my helmet too. i have been on several websites viewing their luggage area....and it is hard to tell by looking at the pictures what might work. i do like the tail bags that have attached bungee cords built into them...that seems logical. insights? thoughts? thanks ;)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
See this thread for the Chase Harper tail bag I use. They also make a bigger Hide Away, the 4500 Model... The nice thing is I just stash the bag in my "baguette hole" so it is always handy....

MAC

i do like the tail bags that have attached bungee cords
My daughter bought a tail bag from White Horse Gear in NH last year for our 2 week trip. It had the bungee cords on the side and worked out really well when she would take her rain gear off etc. The bag had three compartments and is waterproof with 52 liters of storage for $ 155.00. This fit her GSXR. There was no S/H because we picked it up at the store.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
White Horse Gear is a good outfit--a little pricey, but great customer service.

OP
OP

Peace2U_2

well,....i do not have any type of adapter plate attached to my NT ......YET. i can go that route if that if necessary to attach tail bag securely. is there a secure way of attaching tail bag....WITHOUT adapter plate.... ? i would like the freedom of being able to easily remove it as well...when i do not want it there.

i want a large enough tail bag to put my HJC modular helmet in when i am not riding the bike.... along with travel "travel treasures". i noticed while researching that several of these tail bags can expand also.... thanks everyone for insights

OP
OP

Peace2U_2

karl...thanks for that twisted throttle weblink..... interesting.

OP
OP

Peace2U_2

wayne....the chase harper tail bag that you use...and store in the nt saddlebags and pull out to use if needed..... do you attach that to an adapter plate in any way, shape or form.?

OP
OP

Peace2U_2

good point Rick about the tail bag being eventually filled with "treasures" vs with the helmet. i've been eyeing master lock cable as option for securing helmet. not a complete deterent...but, better than nothing. but, that is another whole new thread ....:)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
do you attach that to an adapter plate in any way, shape or form.?
Yes, without the adapter plate, which I only use a luggage "rack", is very difficult to attach the bungee cords that hold the bag. With the "rack" I attach one end of both bungees to the "rack" and loop the other end around the passenger grab rails.

If you are riding alone you can strap my bag between the passenger grab rails on the back of the seat. If you do that be careful that the bungees do not slide to the back of the grab rail and get jammed in to the pannier lid release switches! The lids won't open but the switches are fairly thin plastic and could get broken.

I use a Master Lock Cable "Gun Lock" to secure my helmet to the NT. I run it around my helmets chin bar and the the handlebar. It is a nice bright blue with a Yellow Beretta logo on it that may help it to act as an additional theft deterrent... You can get a "gun lock" at any sporting good store for under ten dollars...

Igo

I saw a 12x26 black duffle with the "Outdoors" Logo on it at Wal Mart yesterday. I use a Tourmaster Deluxe Tail Bag on my SW-MoTech luggage rack but the demensions of this bag are Ideal for the passenger seat. It was $15 and I'm picking one up today.
If I can get a GIVI top box that isn't defective in some way delivered to my house I will write a report. I have the Rack Wayne has but I also have the large auxilary rack that SW-Motech builds as an opting for it that has a much bigger platform that snaps on and snaps off and is solid as a rock and is taylor made for my Tourmaster Deluxe tail bag. I'm saving a write up until a good GIVI arrives because the double system is absolutely cool to the core.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My bike came with a short length of cable that allows you to lock your helmet to a post under the seat. I am reasonably sure that the seat can be removed about a bazillion times without seriously reducing the resale value of the machine. May take a minute to hook up but probably a lot less time than rounding up a new helmet to get home with if yours goes for a walk.

What ever happened to having a little respect for other peoples stuff...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have thought that four rings could be attached to tha black plastic cover behind the pillion. I would get the kind that fold flat and don't rattle. Large stainless fender washers would keep them from pulling out. Four attachment points could easily accommodate on of those waterproof duffels made for whitewater rafting.

docta

tank/tail bag

Here at the Retirement Home, we like to get our money's worth......had a big, leftover tank bag in good shape with rain cover, etc.......fastened it to the passenger part of the seat with parachute clips.....carry all my rain gear, extra gloves, balaclava, Pledge, emergency stuff, tire repair and other miscellaneous odds and ends......fastens and unfastens in a few seconds...rides well...sits lower than the GIVI box....used to move it from bike to bike until I downsized.....when any of the babes here at the Retirement Home want to ride pillion to the Early Bird Dinner Special, I simply unclip it and replace one tail bag with another.......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control

Top Bottom