Techno Device Synchronization Help Please

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
At the end of last season I bought a Zumo 590. I connected it with my Sena SHM 10 and iphone 5 and all seemed OK. Daboo even had me on intercom with his Sena, very nice.

I fired it up this year with my iphone 7 :confused:. The sena smh 10 will work with either phone or GPS, but not both. I have tried pairing sena with the phone and then multipoint with the GPS, but then the GPS media player will not work.

Garmin web site says that only the new Zumo 396 is compatible with the newer iphones. :(
Apple iPhone 7, Apple iPhone 7+, Apple iPhone 8, Apple iPhone 8+, Apple iPhone X

• dezl 780
  • dezlCam 785
  • zumo 396

Any work arounds?????

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Garmin web site says that only the new Zumo 396 is compatible with the newer iphones.
Apple iPhone 7, Apple iPhone 7+, Apple iPhone 8, Apple iPhone 8+, Apple iPhone X
Well, that's pretty much it there...

As for a work around... you could pair your phone and sena and listen to music on the phone. You'd have to get used to watching the gps more instead of listening to voice prompts. Does the gps have an audi out 3.5 mm ?.. if so, you could add a cord from that to your headset. I do that with my 20s for radar detector output.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Thanks Mellow. I paired the phone separately as you suggested.

Waded thru three manuals and several forums and found this:
Garmin Zumo 396 is the only Zumo that integrates fully with iphone 7 or newer.
Sena headsets that operate with Bluetooth 4.1 will allow two stereo pairings (A2DP).

I would need either a newer Zumo or newer Sena, but not worth the cost to me. The sena SMH 10 will pair with the iphone and multi-point pair with the Zumo, which will only allow turn directions. Close enough for me.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I fired it up this year with my iPhone 7 :confused:. The sena smh 10 will work with either phone or GPS, but not both. I have tried pairing sena with the phone and then multipoint with the GPS, but then the GPS media player will not work.
I was thinking. When was the last time you updated the firmware on your SMH10? If you have not in a while, you should be considering doing that very soon. That might assist you with getting it to connect to your devices.

Sena Device Manager - Firmware Updates

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Thanks. Good idea but all devices have the latest software. I have full use of the iphone 7 thru the SMH 10 and I can get nav directions from the GPS paired with the SMH 10. No traffic, construction, weather, media player, etc from the GPS. I assume the intercom works as usual.

It will be fine for this season and will give me something to do in the winter. :)

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours
I don't know if this is the trick you are looking for. I have an SMH10 and a Zumo 660.

I pair the phone with the GPS (I've done this with a couple of phones now, currently an LG V20) and the GPS with the Sena. I listen to music and directions from the GPS and when a call comes in, I see it displayed on the GPS and can accept or reject it on the GPS screen.

Good luck,
Wayne.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I don't know if this is the trick you are looking for. I have an SMH10 and a Zumo 660.

I pair the phone with the GPS (I've done this with a couple of phones now, currently an LG V20) and the GPS with the Sena. I listen to music and directions from the GPS and when a call comes in, I see it displayed on the GPS and can accept or reject it on the GPS screen.

Good luck,
Wayne.
He's got an older gps and a very new phone. It's just a compatibility issue.

Top Bottom