That Blasted "Spring/Retaining Clip" - EXPOSED!

subgenius

Now don't git yer Kanickers in a Kahnot - it's not what you thunk; it's "family safe" :rofl1:

For all of you who are considering installing the Kaoko throttle lock yourself, here's are pictures (not too great, mind you) of what caused me - and from the posts I've seen recently, others - no end of pain when trying to remove the inner doohicky that the bar end/weight screws into (hey, I never claimed to be mechanically inclined) so the Kaoko can be installed. Now that it's out, I'm kinda miffed at myself. Turns out, I almost had the blasted thing out....the rubber (black parts in the pictures) whatever-they-are-designed-for was what was keeping me from pulling the thingy out when I attempted it 2 weekends ago :doh1: :doh1:. I brought my NT back down to Twisted this past Friday and they had the lock in place within 15 minutes - 2 pairs of hands and some kind-of-"hammer" later, that is (LOL).

Anyhooo...first picture is the insert with the clip on the end (on the right side/end). The second is the clip after it has been slid off the insert. #3 shows the end partially off. #4 is the insert on end with the clip in place (notice there are no "lips" to latch on to). The last picture is (rather blurry - sorry, did I mention I'm not a photographer either; yeah, not much of anything, I'm afraid :tongue: ) a "cameo" of the fiend! For such a simple contraption, it sure do make one work up a hissy fit trying to figure out how to remove the st000PID thing :mad1: Oh well, now that it's out, I know how to remove it should I decide to do this again (NOT) "for old times sake" :rofl1:

Hope this helps someone out there in NT land :D

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I wish Honda had welded in the bar end retainer instead of the clip thing. It would be easier/more secure install for a throttle lock.
It works and once you get it out it is easier the next time.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bob, how do you like the Kaoka? I thought it looked pretty good, but already had a Throttlemeister.

OP
OP

subgenius

Bob, how do you like the Kaoka? I thought it looked pretty good, but already had a Throttlemeister.
Well, the only comparison I have is to the electronic one in my "Toy Taco". I tried it a couple of times on the way back from TT - on both major slab (posted speeds = 65) and "minor" slabs (posted speeds = 55) and it's going to take a little adjustment. The most difficult part was finding that "just right" friction point that would allow the little finger and outer edge of my palm to rotate it hard and far enough to keep the speed constant on a flat surface; the FI made things worse - every time my hand slipped, well you know what happens :eek1: :frown:

Needless to say, I "played" with it in the right hand lane and only when there was no other vehicle within a few hundred feet of me. One other thing, since this is not electronic, once I was able to get the lock firmly in place, I had the best results leaving my hand on the throttle so I could make small adjustments for going up and down inclines/hills, as they came.

Overall, once I'm used to it, I think it will be a great relief to my right wrist/forearm on those longer trips (rode up to ME last fall and back - not fun after an hour on the "slab"; hope it will be better this year with the lock :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom