The Diavel Experience

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Well, about all I can think of to say is: WOW!!!!!!!

My friend David and I got up early this morning and rolled out for Rocky Mountain Airport in Broomfield, about 84 miles from here, for the Cycle World / Ducati Ten Best Riding opportunity. We got there a bit early only to find out that they were running a bit late. A wind storm Thursday night had destroyed one of their tents and then this morning, the airport building where they were plannig to have their orientation took their setup down and put it all away. So the Ducati people were scrambling to get things together.

David and I were supposed to start our experience at 8:30, but it was over an hour later when they finally got things rolling.

The airport was having an Fly-in so we got chances to look at some of the planes. There were some interesting planes but I didn't get as many pictures as I wish I had:

A Folland Gnat a little two-place fighter-trainer that looked like a miniature Hawker Hunter (one of the most beautiful planes ever built). The RAF bought a few Gnats, but the Indian Air Force probably had more than any others. I'll post some pictures of the planes and one of the Diavel.

When we finally got started, there was a 20-minute orientation, focusing on design and features, with special attention to the drive-modes and how to switch between them. There are three modes: Urban -- only 100 hp, with traction control set at its most active (1 of 9); Touring -- the full 162 hp and a "soft" throttle, with traction control at 5 out of 9; and Sport -- 162 hp and a hard throttle with traction control just barely intervening.

Then they took us down and showed us on a bike how the modes are chosen, we suited up, got on and they took a picture of all of with the Ducati umbrella girl. There were ten riders, led by a Ducati factory rep, and trailed by a Cycle World editor. We starte out in Urban mode, rode on US-36 for a few miles then turned onto a through street through a residential neighborhood with 40-45 mph sweepers. Then we were out on the edge of Broomfield past the old Rocky Flats plutonium H-bomb trigger plant, and up Coal Creek Canyon. About 10 miles up the canyon we did a U-turn and came back out to ride north on CO-93. The canyon ride gave us a chance to do sweepers and tighter corners, 93 let us wind it out a bit.

The brakes, Brembo ABS, were awesome, right really good feel and incredible power. The acelleration, regardless of the gear was smooth and really, really amazing. (I wish I could come up with better words, but right now I'm blank for anything other than superlatives). It must have been something like what Navy fighter pilots feel when they get catapulted off a carrier. The gear didn't make much difference. I nevr got anywhere near red line, but from 4-5000 rpm on up it was there, stretching my arms. Very controllable, very very smooth, very very very powerful.

I had been skeptical of the Diavel's handling, mainly because of the huge rear tire (240 section means "wiiiiiddddde"). But it leaned in easily, was very precise, very planted and had great feedback. And it leaned a lot farther than my peg-lowerer-equipped NT.

There is a tiny little cowl in front of the instrument panel (which is small itself) but the airflow was very smooth with no buffetting at all. There was a pretty good wind blowing while we were going up 93. That road has a 65mph limit, but I managed to get a bit above 80 and I was at the back of the group and would guess that others got a tad faster.

The Ohlins suspension combined with the seating position made for some spinal jolts when I hit sharp bumps, but other than that felt pretty good.

It's not a bike I'd buy unless I had a lot more money than I do and was willing to spend it on another motorcycle. They had four Multistradas there (the ride leaders were on them) and I sat on one and was surprised that it fit pretty well. But it's only got 150 hp, so scratch it. I'd never trade my NT in for something that didn't have at least 162 hp. :)

After the ride, they asked us to fill out a feeback sheet, gave us a neat book about the Diavel, and a Ducati flash drive with the owners manual, all the Cycle World articles about the Diavel and the pictures of of us on our bikes with the umbrella girl.

I had been worried about being able to get my right foot on the peg so one of the Ducati guys held the bike while I figured out my technique for that. The knee bend was not much more than the NT, but it was just enough that I don't think I could have ridden it much farther (we rode about 45-50 miles) or longer (we rode about an hour) without getting stretched out a bit more. The reach to the bars was just right, the seat was OK, but very short (they really want you to sit up close to the tank for weight distribution).

But it was an absolute hoot. If you get a chance, take 'em up on it.

(Well, I tried to insert pictures and I'll have to figure out how to resize them with Irfanview -- got to do some work so I can get to bed.)

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I just got off my Sears Craftsmen riding mower. I have nothing to live for.:(

Glad you had a good time, and thanks for the write up. Can't imagine 162 hp in my right hand. Wow.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Phil,

Sounds like you really enjoyed the ride...:D But don't forget "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"... You might want to hold off a year on getting a Diavel, it probably wouldn't go over well if you start riding like a street hooligan in the church parking lot...:D

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You're probably right. The Diavel could probably do 0-60 across the lot. The short way across the parking lot.

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Sounds like typical Ducati precision. I have always thought of the Ducati as the Ferrarri of motorcycles.

1TRAK

Sounds like a great bike Phil, Ducati builds some awesome rides.

I always thought the Multistrada a fun and a great all rounder, one of their best. :smile:

JoshR

I attended a similar event in Kent, CT on Father's Day. Was given the opportunity to ride the Multistrada 1200S instead, so did. A very sweet ride! Same basic engine as the Diavel, but "only" 150 horsepower instead of 162.

The event was very well organized, and Cycle World feature editor John Burns rode tail end on our
groups hour long ride in Connecticut's northwest hills.

If you get an invite to the Diavel Experience, or a similar manufacturer/Cycle World event,
Go! It'll be fun, and they're buying the gas and refreshments.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If you get an invite to the Diavel Experience, or a similar manufacturer/Cycle World event,
Go! It'll be fun, and they're buying the gas and refreshments.
Josh, David and I were wondering what an event like that costs per rider. We were also wondering how many bikes they sell. It was a high class operation.

JoshR

One of the purposes is to generate buzz from fellow motorcyclists. Both Ducati and BMW are
running similar "road show" events in the U.S this summer. But you would have to ask their
marketing managers how well it works.

It did make me lust after the multistrada, but nearest dealer is quite a ways away from my home.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What your congregation think if they find out you were out riding on a Devil???
They know, Dan! I told them about it in church yesterday. Nothing motorcycle-related surprised them any more. They just shake their heads and sigh....

Top Bottom