The Goldilocks solution.....

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Not too small. Not too BIG. Juuust right.

I sure hope so.

35 years without a motorcyle is a very long time. But, a year ago, after more than a full year of contemplation, reading reviews, and going to dealerships, I bought a new Honda PCX150 scooter. It would be perfect for around town, occasional runs on the highway, and even capable of two up with my wife. Or, not. That?s just asking too much of any 150 scooter. It is very nimble, easy to ride, and sips gas at 100 mpg. But, after several months, it became painfully obvious it wasn?t up to the tasks I had for it, and I needed to move up the food chain. The PCX was just too small.

So reading the online reviews started anew, talks commenced with other motorcycle ?experts?, plus many trips to the local dealers to drool over new bikes. I thought long and hard about upgrading to a maxi-scooter, like SilverWing, or Burgman. I even looked at a used Piaggio 500. Ugghh. But, my Honda dealer had had an NT700 in stock at the time I bought my PCX, and it had always caught my eye. What a beautiful motorcycle! On a service trip for the PCX last spring, he made me an offer I couldn?t refuse. And, I didn?t.

Coming from a background of enduro and motocross bikes, the NT700 was by far the most intimidating 2 wheels I had ever ridden. Not only heavy, but top heavy. Even though I am tall enough to flat foot the NT, I couldn?t even imagine how any mortal could handle something even heavier, like a GoldWing, or Harley dresser. But, I overcame my initial trepidation and rode it. I really wanted my new NT to be the perfect bike for me. A couple of thousand miles this spring. 2100 miles to Spearfish and return. Then another 1000 miles after I got back. I had the normal? couple of SAD experiences during the learning process, even one which included my wife on pillion. She took it amazingly well, considering.

In the back of my mind, I knew that the NT excelled at cross country touring. Ask Phil! Or many other riders on the forum. But for me, I needed something more comfortable for around town, and less prone to laying down on the job. The verdict was in: The NT700 was just too big and ponderous for me.

The search was on for ?just right.? I returned to my original thoughts of maxi-scooters, or maybe even the new NC700 DCT bikes. ANYTHING with a lower center of gravity! I pored over the NC-700 forum extensively, looking for owners with problems, solutions, and opinions. Yes, I liked the upright seating of the NT, and that it provided great fuel economy. No, I did not want the laid back, feet forward riding position of the new CTX700. I wanted better weather protection than the NC700X, but the ?scooter? version of the NC700 (Integra) isn?t being imported into the USA, for now.

So, that narrowed down the choice to a maxi-scooter with actual touring capability. I liked the Silvering, but not the fuel economy (less than the NT) nor the reputation of head shake problems (from the SilverWing forum). Plus, they cost more than the NT.

And then there are the Suzuki Burgman scooters. The BurgmanUSA forum was invaluable. Although the 650 was made for two up touring from the start, it also has its share of concerns. Fuel economy is on a par with the SilverWing (not so great), and a few 650?s have had very expensive CVT failures.

Knowing that both Daboo and Comanche (on the NT forum) had Burgman 400 scooters, I privately asked their opinions about the pro?s and con?s of the NT and Burgman 400. They were honest and forthcoming in their comparisons. Even though they had both toured on their Burgmans, and LOVED their Burgmans, they both moved up to the NT to have better high speed touring capabilities. How ironic . They moved up to the NT, and I?m moving up to the Burgman!

Anyway, the decision has been made. I am trading in my NT this week for a new Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. I really hope it is the ?just right? solution to my situation. 80 pounds lighter than the NT700. MUCH lower center of gravity. Even better fuel economy. Capable of two up on the interstate. Massive storage capability. Impressive reliability. Excellent weather protection. Only time will tell if it is ?just right?. But, I do know one thing for certain, I?ll continue to hang around the NT forum for the sparkling conversations, deep knowledge, and strong opinions! Wouldn?t miss it. Hope to see everyone at Spearfish next July on my Burger. Scooter?s ARE welcome, aren?t they?!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Rich - as we often say, its not important what you ride as long as you ride. Personally, I think you will love the Burgman 400. Very good and very solid bike. I assume you'll be riding with your wife on the PCX.

Even though my Burgman is up for sale, it's only because I can't afford to have both bikes.

I'm glad you're staying on the NT forum - and maybe one of these days, I'll be back through Albuquerque and down green chile stew with you.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
My guess is the lower center of gravity will likely be what you'll appreciate the most. I hope it works out well for you and sorry to hear the NT was not. Glad you'll still be riding!! :)

Bike
Bonneville T120
We had a Burgman 400 for a couple of years. It was my wife's primary ride. She let me take it out every now and then. I loved that thing, but alas it's gone.
Suzie took it to Nova Scotia on a brief tour. Great ride. I'm sure it will make you happy.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
One of the AZ Guzzi riders has had to cope with knee issues over the last several years and has migrated to the Piaggio MP3. He has a 400 and a 500. He just recently completed a 3000mi cross country trip on the 400. Solo it is probably not a bad choice. I would not want to ride very far two up, especially on some of our mountain roads or on I40 with all the truck traffic.

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't plan on much two up riding, but do hope to do some touring by myself. May have to add some panniers to be able to carry enough. And, I can always strap on a waterproof bag on the pillion seat. But, I really don't want to add a top case. Kinda defeats the whole "lower c.g." concept of the scooter to me.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I don't plan on much two up riding, but do hope to do some touring by myself. May have to add some panniers to be able to carry enough. And, I can always strap on a waterproof bag on the pillion seat. But, I really don't want to add a top case. Kinda defeats the whole "lower c.g." concept of the scooter to me.
Oh yeah, Rich - you will love touring on the 400. Sam is correct about riding two-up, but the 400 is good on long rides. I took a 3,000 + ride on her last year http://burgmanusa.com/forums/22-road-stories/51956-eight-states-scooter.html about this time of year, another longer ride to Las Vegas at http://burgmanusa.com/forums/22-road-stories/53619-he-who-rides-vegas-comes-back-vegas-long-post.html. As you can see by the pix in the stories, I have the big Givi top box on the scoot, and I just strapped a waterproof bag on the pillion seat, as you are planning to do.

You have a point about adding a top case. On my first long trip, I noticed the difference for the first 1/2 day, then just got used to it. Panniers might be an idea - check with KiwiDave on the BurgmanUSA forum. I know he makes a rack for Givi cases for the 650, but I don't know about the 400. (BTW - if you ever want to buy Givi products, check with Dave - best prices by far and very good service.)

Most of all - enjoy! There are others on this forum who have been 400 riders (and you already know Daboo - Chris) and they will tell you the same thing. Good strong bike that you can enjoy for years.

OP
OP
Yoda

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
Finally! After waiting almost 3 weeks, the local Suzuki dealer rounded up a 2013 Burgman 400. I picked it up yesterday and have only ridden about 50 miles so far. It is what I expected it to be. JUST RIGHT. Much easier to jockey around the garage and driveway than the NT. Lighter handling (flickable?) on the road. However, since the break-in proscribed in the owners manual states to stay under 4,000 rpm for the first 500 miles, then under 6,500 rpm til 1,000 miles, I'm staying in town on local roads. Seems a bit stringent to me, because you can't even go over 35 mph and stay under the 4,000 rpm limit. I may not follow the break-in rules to the letter. Pictures forthcoming soon.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Rich - if you hang around the BurgmanUSA forum very long, you will come to realize that that part of the owner's manual was written by lawyers. Good observation - you CAN'T ride the bike under 4,000 rpm. Basically, just don't run the snot out of it, and you'll do just fine.

Enjoy your new bike - I know I loved my Burgman 400.

Top Bottom