The MoCo wakes up!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I just saw the press release from the MoCo regarding their 2020 models and some prototype pics. The adventure bike looks especially appealing. They are planning a series of four liquid cooled, DOHC, v-twins in displacements ranging from 500 to 1200cc. They are planning on offering an adventure bike, a sport naked and a cruiser. I wish them well, I would love to see them succeed. I think they finally woke up to the fact that their pirates are beginning to die out and they must appeal to other riders. Good on them!

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I certainly hope the MoCo does well in the future. The business world is certainly much different than in years past. The country does not need to lose any more manufacturing.
Competition is almost always good for the end user, the rider.

Brad

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I have a seen a preview of these models you are referring to on a Revilla Blog. These bikes are "FUGLY" to say the least.

Do not expect them to be American made as HD has plants in the following locations. HD Worldwide Locations

Australia, Adelaide – New Castalloy

Brazil, Manaus –Harley-Davidson do Brasil Ltda Assembly Plant

India, Bawal – Harley-Davidson India Bawal Assembly Plant

Thailand, Rayong – Thailand Sales Office and Assembly Plant

It is almost certain that all small displacement models will be coming from either Brazil, India, and soon Thailand. Most likely many of those new models discussed earlier too. :shrug1:

Just like the AMF days....

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've often chucked to myself that "Motor Company" seems a misnomer when they continue to make air-cooled, twins with heritage from the 1930s. And how they've nursed it along all these years is amazing but perhaps I'm too much of a gearhead to appreciate their work.

The teaser photos show of the three new models show the large, air cooled engine fitted with full size radiators which seems odd to say the least, but often times, prototypes are not representative of the final product. Does anyone remember the GM Motorama shows from the late-50s? Some of their prototypes were beautiful. I attended those as a kid taking the bus cross town to the show venue and would come home with 10 lbs of brochures!

Anyhow, I wish them well but it will be a tough row-to-hoe since they've spent the last 3 decades selling one type of bike to one type of customer. :confused:

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...all small displacement models will be coming from either Brazil, India, and soon Thailand...]

Not necessarily a bad thing and many other makers (Honda, BMW, KTM, etc) have gone to outside countries for either a portion of the bike or the entire bike. I can remember when BMW purists freaked-out when it was discovered that the F650 single cylinder bike was being assembled in Austria and the engine was built by Aprilia (Italy).

That sort of stuff is almost commonplace these days.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It really difficult to redefine your business especially if you have been at it for so long. Look what has been happening to J.C. Penny and Sears. I wish Harley luck but unless the overall market turns around I don't see anything that they are offering for 2020 that is going to do the trick. I think there are already enough power cruises, electric motorcycles and adventure bikes in the market and I doubt Harley's version will be an improvement over whats already out there. These new models are going to eat up cash and resources further speeding up their financial downfall.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Since we are on the subject of electric motorcycles. I owned a Zero SR for over 2 years and put over 23k miles on it during that time. I had issues by the handfuls with that bike within the first week of owning it. It required more firmware updates than an iPhone. I also started having issues with battery packs losing their capacity prematurely, which was replaced under warranty. The replacement battery packs blow up only after a month of replacement. At that point a sent a letter to the manufacturer demanding either my money back or a replacement unit at "Free of Charge" (pun intended). They agreed to buy the bike pack from me under the Lemon Law. I managed to get 80% of the purchase price back for it.

It might be too late for Harley because their core customer base are purist and will not accept these newly proposed models. They are hoping to attract Millenials and get them into motorcycling. The truth about this generation is that they are just starting out in their lives and perhaps have children of their own already. Their large amount of student loan debts are going make it difficult to spend on unnecessary luxuries, such a motorcycle. If they can afford a motorcycle, it will not be for a new one costing up towards $18-26k. Their budgets are going be more like $5-8k for a new motorcycle if that is even feasible for anything larger than 500cc. They are most likely to buy used bikes that are about 3 years old or older to save fist fulls of cash.

Last edited:

tawilke46

Maybe HD should have hired Erik Buell and turned him loose. Now that would produce a much better product, mechanically and visually, in my opinion.
Unfortunately HD was forced to do this because of changing market demands. How well they adapt remains to be seen.
HD’s hard core faithful will not be impressed to put it mildly.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I just looked at their website, not impressed they look like warmed over models from their existing inventory.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
[SIZE=3 said:
They are hoping to attract Millenials and get them into motorcycling. The truth about this generation is that they are just starting out in their lives and perhaps have children of their own already. Their large amount of student loan debts are going make it difficult to spend on unnecessary luxuries, such a motorcycle. If they can afford a motorcycle, it will not be for a new one costing up towards $18-26k. Their budgets are going be more like $5-8k for a new motorcycle if that is even feasible for anything larger than 500cc. They are most likely to buy used bikes that are about 3 years old or older to save fist fulls of cash.[/SIZE]
A short time ago, I would have agreed with your assessment of the millenials however a few days ago I read an article in the WSJ that indicated that the RV industry is undergoing a huge sales spurt to millennials. It seems that they have replaced us geezers as the prime buyers of RV's. They are not buying the bling loaded motorhomes but are buying entry level travel trailers, fifth wheels and popups. They may be burdened by student loan debt but that doesn't seem to be stopping them from buying RV's. The only rationale that makes sense is that the RV can be used by the entire family where a motorcycle is a more a personal luxury and isn't shared by everyone in the household.

Mike

Top Bottom