The NT has great brakes

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Alex, I'll bet it would be $3-5,000 just to buy the parts. I remember the old thing about how if you built a car from parts bought individually it would be 20-30 times more expensive than it is.

Since the factory assembly-line premium for ABS was $1,000, it would probably be prohibitive.
This is undoubtedly true. But I did find an exception to the general after-purchase retrofit. My first ST1300 was an '03 model, without ABS. In that first year, with ABS (a $1,500 option) you also got the adjustable windshield. No ABS, no adjustable windshield. I was able to rustle up the critical OEM parts to install the adjustable windshield for about $400. It took a bit of fiddling with the wiring harness to make it work, but it worked fine for years.

Now this was something of an elegant "hack". Because the wiring harness itself is different with and without ABS (and adj. WS in this case). But it was a clean installation and served me well for years.

But ABS is a different animal, and I wouldn't attempt to hack it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Rich, that was an elegant hack! I didn't think I'd want ABS back in '03 and also didn't think I'd want an ST without an adjustable windshield. Since I couldn't afford one anyway, it was an academic issue, but I wondered if what you did was possible.

I tried to talk the Windbender guy into making an adjustable windscreen kit for the Concours C-10, but he decided that he was busy enough making Goldwing stuff.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/3296291148.html
201 miles... This is a bike that begs to be ridden.

ABS cost me an extra thousand and a month and a half wait to get it rather than the better looking red one on the showroom floor. Have marked that invoice paid in full after one full effort stop to avoid running into the side of a truck that turned left in front of me.

Alex I am glad you cheated the reaper again. I am having fun with this and I know you are too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Karl,
Am having a lot of fun with the bike and am very happy with what I have. There are no plans for trading. Had a guy on a Harley ask me why I didn't buy a Wing--told him I wasn't old enough. We had a good laugh. I still test ride everything I can get my hands on. Karl--you have to try a ZX14R Ninja. It is what I imagine flying a fighter plane is like. It is an unbelievable machine with superb ergos and handling--a bit on the fast side as well.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
There are so many great bikes out there. I found that if you show up at a dealer with a pristine obviously well cared for bike, they will be more than happy to let you try a demo. It's a lot of fun. I do plan to get a demo ride on the new NC.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My bike is less than pristine at times but an honest face and maybe a good credit score have put a leg over some very nice bikes. The NT's ability to turn forward motion into heat is awesome. The amount of work those little contact patches provide is nothing short of magic. Riding my sons 675 (no ABS) made me decide to get back up on a bike. The NT does not have that bikes sport or even ride comfort (suspension) but it does everything I need (want) it to do. Yes it could have an aluminum spine to take off some weight yada yada yada.

It goes good stops good and coddles my old bones as it puts a smile on my face. There are other bikes that beckon but none that have made me write a check yet. My satisfaction with my NT has "Stopped" me.

I know it is just a matter of time that something else will distract me. This bike will most likely remain in the garage. It just does so many things that make me smile so well.

Top Bottom