The SS 1000 that Almost Was

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You know the old bromide - "If there aren't any photos, it didn't happen."

As I've indicated in some other postings, I just finished a nice ride to Florida. First, the youngest granddaughter graduated from high school in Orlando. As I usually do when I go to my son's home in Orlando, I ride down to Miami to see an old college buddy, who is (unfortunately) incarcerated in Miami.

Time was important this trip, so rather than take my usual back roads, I rode the slab. Yuck - I reinforced why I don't like to ride the slab. Its boring, and I miss all those little small towns and their homey restaurants. The slab is okay in the cage, but not on a bike.

I'd thought for some time that I'd like to do a Saddle Sore 1000, just to say I did it. This trip would be ideal for such an attempt. I plotted that with just one small modification at the end of the run, I would have 1,014 miles under my belt if I followed the route Google Maps created for me. I planned to leave Marianna, Florida, and end the ride at a shopping center near home. I plotted it all out - best places to stop for fuel (truck stops seemed best) and places to eat, with snacks and fluids in the tank bag. I had it planned out to the nines.

But, the weather had a say in the game. At 9 am on Tuesday, May 28, a strong front was moving in towards Marianna. I asked the motel front desk to stay another night, then napped and checked the weather during the day. By evening, the weather was past me (and there was a lot of lightening as it passed), so I packed up, ate a good meal, and conned a fellow diner into signing the witness form. I filled up the tank, and the receipt gave me a starting time of 8:23 pm.

Each time I stopped for gas, I whipped out the phone and checked the weather - and sure enough, another round of nasty weather was heading towards Houston. In the meantime, I just cruised Interstate 10, enjoying the new LED lights I'd put on during the winter. When I stopped for gas in Orange, TX, right across the state line from Louisiana, a kind gentleman told me to find shelter as the weather was upon us. I watched the lightening show from the inside of a Waffle House. The breakfast stop morphed into an hour and a half wait, but once the lightening let up, I went back to the road, riding in light to moderate rain. Lightening again sent me inside in Baytown, a Houston suburb. Again, an hour delay, but once the lightening was past me, and a check of the Texas DOT road conditions site revealed that the Interstate highways in Houston were open, I was back on the road. Once south of Houston, the rain let up and I was back in familiar hot and muggy South Texas.

And, I made it to the final gas station right near 4pm. In other words, despite the weather delays, I made the 24 hour time limit with ease. I was surprised at that, despite all the advice on this forum that I only needed to maintain a 47 mph speed. The wifemate fed me a meal, I took a much needed shower, then I merged with my mattress for 10 1/2 hours.

Now comes the hard part.

I unpacked my top case, looking for the clear plastic envelope I'd kept my plans and log and witness forms in. Couldn't find it. Panicked. Called the last gas station - they didn't have it. Tossed the house upside down. I really don't know what happened to it, but somewhere along the line since the next to last gas station, that sucker slipped out of my top case.

Hence the title of this post - as far as the IBA is concerned, my ride didn't happen. I have the gas receipts as I kept those in my wallet, and I have the mileage written on each receipt- something I do to track my miles per gallon, and I do that all the time. But, I have no log and I have no start witness signature.

I'm fairly bummed right now. Yes, I could do the ride again, but not sure I want to at this juncture.

The other side of the coin is that I am alive and in good health. If not having a distinctive license plate bracket for my bike is my most serious problem, I'm in pretty good shape.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Doug Check your PM I just sent you one with my ph in it or if you already saved my ph please call me ASAP

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I read the title of your thread, I knew that you'd lost your documentation. Dangnabbit! That's a shame.

There have been people who have lost credit for critical bonii in the Iron Butt Rally for the very same reason. But you're right -- if it's your worst problem, you're still doing pretty good.

When I attempted my first Bun Burner Gold, I hit two construction zones with pilot cars in the first 86 miles and was 45 minutes behind schedule by the time I made my first documented "turn" in my route. If I'd been smart enough to reset my clock, I think I'd have been successful, but that 45 minutes never stayed made up. By the time I was 250 miles from the finish, my GPS was telling me that I would finish with ten minutes to spare. But my GPS wasn't counting the three times I was going to have to buy gas: once just to make it to the finish, once to document a turn-around point, and once to document that end of the ride.

I managed to ride 1430 miles in the 24 hours, but it didn't count as anything but long day.

A SS1K is much more fun on back roads. And, for that matter, so was my Nevada in-state BBG that I did while only riding 180 miles of interstate.

Maybe you can get a SS1K on your way to Spearfish.

Doug, I know the feeling! On my first trip to Spearfish I did a SS1K from Orlando to Chicago. I had all the documentation, receipts, etc. But apparently I hadn't guarded the gas receipts as well as I should have and when I arrived home and prepared to send in my documentation, I found all my receipts were faded and you couldn't read them. Live and learn. Trust me, on all my other Iron Butt rides I guarded my receipts with my life. Wendell

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Doug I do not care if you have the documentation or not, you did it and I am so envious as I do not think I could ever achieve 1000 miles in 24 hours.

Well done, you are an inspiration to all of us

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Last year after visiting Rick Ryan (FalconAF) in Las Vegas, I left town at 0430, never giving any thought to an SS1K. With the high speed limits I made good time. I didn't know how far I was going to ride; I just decided to wing it.
Before I knew it, I had crossed the Texas state line so now I had the bit in my teeth. I considered an SS1K but almost instantly realized it was a pipe dream, since I had no receipts of any kind. Then I hit El Paso at evening rush hour and just set my sights on Van Horn, TX. 843 miles in 14.5 hrs...I could have easily done the 1000, but it would have ended in BFE nowhere near a hotel and without docs.

58 mph ave with a long lunch in Las Cruces, 6:00 rush hour in El Paso, and a long queue at the border check east of EP.

I still think I will try one day but I bet it'll just be a spur of the moment wild hair when it happens

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Doug you're more than welcome to my SS1k license frame whenever I sell my bike. Not sure when that'll be as our masterbath remodel money pit continues to drain the new bike fund. :(

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I still think I will try one day but I bet it'll just be a spur of the moment wild hair when it happens
Texas should be a simple place to do an SS1000. There are lots of high speed slabs in Texas. The only problem is avoiding all the highway construction.

If you are doing a home based circle or straight run, IBA rules say you can use a spouse for a start/end witness.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I need to change the title of this thread.

The IBA recognized my ride, as you can see by the addition to my signature.

Gotta put that plate bracket on tomorrow!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Congratulations! It amazes me how many people have done the SS1K now. When I did my first one in August of '99, it got me IBA # 5811.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Congratulations on receiving the award, it is always good to submit the paperwork and let "the experts" decide, as you have found out first hand.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Congratulations! It amazes me how many people have done the SS1K now. When I did my first one in August of '99, it got me IBA # 5811.
Phil, I wonder if it has anything to do with the aging of the riding population. When my certificate came. there was also a print out of the names and information about other recent recipients. A number of them included something similar to what was in mine: "Doug was 71 years young when he made his ride." It could be that more people are retired and have the time to do IBA runs.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
A number of them included something similar to what was in mine: "Doug was 71 years young when he made his ride." It could be that more people are retired and have the time to do IBA runs.
Doug, back when I did my SS1K on the NT700, I thought the significant thing was that it was the first IBA certificate ride done in the Western Hemisphere by an NT700V. The IBA thought the significant thing was that I was 67-years-young. Go figure?!?!

You may be right about the aging population contributing to the increase in LD-riders. I hadn't thought about that explanation.

Top Bottom