The tale of the wine cooler and the pannier

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Bear with me as I cant seem to make photobucket work anymore and I have put a pic in my Nt-album but dont know how to post it yet.

Lets say, Hypothetically speaking, I bought a wine cooler in a can...a very flimsy can...while touring and something punctured the can in my pannier before I got to my campsite.
The Hypothetical sweet, sticky liquid made a small mess in the pannier but it dripped on the muffler and made a thick, black streak like you would see burned on the inside of an
oven. It doesnt want to scrape off easily with a hard plastic scraper and I was wondering about trying some oven cleaner on the chrome....any ideas, hypothetically speaking?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Might want to try beer...hypothetically.

But for cleaning your exhaust, try metal polish. I use Brasso, sure other brands would work as well. Also had good results using turtle wax Bug & Tar Remover for stubborn stains.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The NT700 has a full stainless steel exhaust system so as long as you do not use something that will scratch it you can use just about anything to clean it.

Try some aluminum foil and metal polish as this should do the trick and leave a nice shine too

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i'm not sure what's worse - the fact it stained your exhaust, or the fact you drink wine coolers! :eek1::eek1:

:tongue::tongue:

BjornH

I think i would take a chair and a bottle of wine. Park the bike on a place where it can be standing for a while and drink the wine and enjoy life as goos as possible. After a half bottle iit dosen matter with the stuff on the exhaust.
The work can be done alone but will be better done with a good friend .

If this does not help, you can try latere with a sixpack or two...

Just joking :)

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I've used 0000 steel wool and a bit of soapy water on the exhaust of some of the bikes to remove baked on stuff. Be gentle and patient and use a lot of water. It will come off.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I had something that looked a lot like that on my old bike right after I lost my handlebar mounted clip-on compass. The melted stuff didn't look like the compass though (and yours doesn't look like wine cooler either). I warmed it up with a heat gun and scraped most of it off easily. The rest came off with a solvent.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Actually, many of you gave good advice! Didnt know it was stainless and not chrome...I guess we learn something everyday.
I actually prefer margarettas and micro brews, but sometimes something catches my eye in a gas station and says, "Buy me!"
I will try certain cleaners mentioned.
(By the way, I had no problem giving away wine coolers at the ralley so I am not the ONLY one here that drinks them.:rofl1:)

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Actually, many of you gave good advice! Didnt know it was stainless and not chrome...I guess we learn something everyday.
I actually prefer margarettas and micro brews, but sometimes something catches my eye in a gas station and says, "Buy me!"
I will try certain cleaners mentioned.
(By the way, I had no problem giving away wine coolers at the ralley so I am not the ONLY one here that drinks them.:rofl1:)
This thread reminds me that the pass through is absolutely a perfect fit for a 750 ml bottle of wine!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
(By the way, I had no problem giving away wine coolers at the ralley so I am not the ONLY one here that drinks them.)
Chris, if I'd known you were giving away wine coolers, I wouldn't have been too proud to drink one.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, buddy! You will be the first one to get one of mine next time we meet at the rally...or If I can get you to Reno.....!
What flavor do you want?

RubenAlonzo

I myself am 42 years old, been married forever and a day (over 20 years), ex-navy Corpsman and work in a beer warehouse as a forklift operator now. I happen to LIKE wine coolers!

skiper

I happen to like NIGHT TRAIN or RED ROOSTER .. OH YEAH does anyone remember the very first light beer ? In new york circa 1978 you could have a "GABLINGER" in a bright orange can. Nobody drank it but me and no one - light beer hadn't cought on. It had one redeeming quality - one could drive with your arm out the window holding the gablinger and sip to your hearts content and it would look like soda. With a fresh license , a fresh frosty gablinger , arm out the window , sans seatbelt , little vent window thingy aimed at your face , summer breeze and sunshine wafting in the car, and driving thru town. good memories - and we didn't even bonk into anyone doing alll that and more ... wow nostalgia - save me one - o - dem coolers

Top Bottom