Throttle Lock from Twisted Throttle

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We talked about this one a few months ago. I was looking again in the Twisted Throttle catalog and saw it. I still think it looks like a great design. If I didn't have the Throttlemeister, I'd buy one of these.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6268/758/

When we first noticed it, they didn't know if it would fit a Deauville, and didn't know if it would take two versions to fit both the heated and unheated grips. The guy from South Africa with Kakoa, went to a lot of trouble to find a Deauville in SA, and to make sure they had one that would work. There had been speculation that the one that went on the ST1300 might work, but I think they ended up fabricating a different one for the NT. He and I communicated by email several times and I had told him that I had a Throttlemeister. Seemed like a nice guy, was interested in expanding his market.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
This looks like a great product. I like the easy install as well. ...decisions, decisions.

lcseds

I wonder how heavy it is. I would want the weight replaced that comes off with the OEM weight.

elizilla

I am guessing that the picture is generic rather than NT specific, and that the NT version would fit into the existing weight inside the bars, the way the stock bar ends do.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Very interested in how these work. Was thinking about themas they seem to be an elegant solution. I use Crampbuster also but it would be nice to be able to relax and move my right hand and arm.

lcseds

I'm pretty happy with my Crampbuster, but since no one else has taken the plunge, I'll bite. I just ordered one of these and will let you all know how it works after I get it installed. I had been thinking about the TM but wasn't in any real hurry. This just looks a little easier to install. Should arrive within a week, I have found Twisted Throttle to be very quick with their shipping.
Thanks Eric. Somebody always has to be first. At least it's not a $600 mod. Look forward to your review.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Eric, I'm interested in checking it out as well. Perhaps in Ingleside at the end of the month.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Yes, there is. The Two Wheeled Texans monthly pie run on May 28. I posted a thread in "Ride to Eat". Post a quick reply there if you can come so I can pass the number to the organizer. These attract a good sized crowd of diverse riders, mostly tourers and adventure riders. Looking get a good NT showing.

Keep the shiny side up.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
UPDATE: This throttle lock is backordered and is not expected to ship until the end of May. So, I will not be able to post a review until June. I will let you know how it works and how easy it is to install when it comes in.
It looks like I got the last one they had. It shipped yesterday and I am scheduled to receive it on Monday. I will provide a report when I get it.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hey, Kev! Sounds to me as if the NT community is making it worth the time you guys and Kaoko spent coming up with a version that works! You can send my royalty check to....

BTW, do you know if the two bags I shipped back to you guys have gotten there yet? One was a Givi, the other a Bags Connection one. The Daypack and the City work great. The City would work a bit better if I'd lose another 20 pounds, but you probably can't do anything about that, can you?

lcseds

I'll be waiting to hear from you then. I am interested in this device, but I don't want to pay for what should be a simple install. Thanks for the update.

elizilla

The spring clip is a ring-shaped thing that has a tab that sticks in a hole in the bar. Roll the grip back about a half inch and look at the bar, there are two holes on opposite sides. Poke in the holes with a small screwdriver, to break the clip loose - it is cheap metal and just pushing it in will bend the tabs down and they'll stay down. I'm sitting here trying to describe this and I remembered I have one on my workbench, and a picture's worth a thousand words, right? So here's a picture. The end that's facing up in the picture, is the end that points down inside the bar and wraps around the inside weights. And see the little tab that fits into the hole on the bar?

If you already have the bar end off, take the screw that holds it in. Set the bar end aside, and thread the screw back in, a good long ways so you will have plenty of thread contact. Use pliers to pull on the screw, to yank the insert out.

For what it's worth, this is a brand new clip, never been used. The ones I took out, the tabs were no longer useful to hold them in place. So I ordered new ones. And I ordered extras so I would have spares for next time - they are cheap. That's why I had one here that I could photograph.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The spring clip is a ring-shaped thing that has a tab that sticks in a hole in the bar. Roll the grip back about a half inch and look at the bar, there are two holes on opposite sides. Poke in the holes with a small screwdriver, to break the clip loose - it is cheap metal and just pushing it in will bend the tabs down and they'll stay down. I'm sitting here trying to describe this and I remembered I have one on my workbench, and a picture's worth a thousand words, right? So here's a picture. The end that's facing up in the picture, is the end that points down inside the bar and wraps around the inside weights. And see the little tab that fits into the hole on the bar?

If you already have the bar end off, take the screw that holds it in. Set the bar end aside, and thread the screw back in, a good long ways so you will have plenty of thread contact. Use pliers to pull on the screw, to yank the insert out.

For what it's worth, this is a brand new clip, never been used. The ones I took out, the tabs were no longer useful to hold them in place. So I ordered new ones. And I ordered extras so I would have spares for next time - they are cheap. That's why I had one here that I could photograph.
What about the right grip? I believe the throttle tube is over the holes so you can not access the tabs by rolling the grip back.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
UPDATE

My Kaoko Throttle Lock arrived today. The directions and pictutres are kinda small and sketchy. There is indeed a handlebar insert found after removing the Bar End weight which must be removed. The directions say to insert two small screwdrivers and prize the two spring clips towards each other while pulling out the insert. Needless to say, even with my son's extra pair of hands, this was not accomplished. I'm not sure I was even able to correctly identify the spring clips they talked about. The directions mention that on the NT these are a little deeper inside than other models and you might need to go to a Honda shop where they have a tool which can get this out.

I haven't been able to find anything in the shop manual about this procedure so I may have to make a run to a bike shop and see if they can help me get this thing out. This is not as simple a plug and play unit as one might think.

I'll let you know if I get it installed. If anyone has any advice on removing the insert, let me know.

Later.
Eric,

I also ran into the same problem. I was lead to believe that this would be a 5 minute job but its not. After trying to remove the insert without dmaaging it I had no sucess. I did not want to destroy it so I backed off to see of there was an easier way. I think I may end up removing the grip and throttle tube so that I can assess the tabs that go through the bars to remove the internal weight in one piece. I guess I could rip it out of there but in case I do not like the throttle lock I would like to be able to put the internal weight back in without having to purchase a new one.

elizilla

I did not have to pull off my throttle tube to get the internal weight out. I don't recall if I was able to reach the holes to push in the tabs, or if I just forced it out. In addition to pushing in the holes, you can squeeze the clip where the flanges stick out and wrap around the outside end of the tube. Also, turning the whole assembly may rotate the tabs out of their holes, more easily than straight yanking.

Even if you force it, the thing you destroy is just the clip. Which is cheap to replace and hard to remove non-destructively regardless. So I wouldn't worry about it. Force it by twisting.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
GOT IT!
Katherine's picture of th clip made it clear that I wasn't going to get anything in the tube to release it. So, I got out the Service Manual and decided to start removing things.
1. I removed the master brake housing and set it aside on a towel I had draped over the tank. the two connectors for the brake light need to be pulled off to give it room to sit nicely.
2. I removed the two screws (shorter one is in front) from the Throttle/Switch Housing and opened it up.
3. once this was done, the throttle tube slid towards the middle of the handlebars enough to get to the two holes for the pins. I pushed them in and the whole thing came out nicely.
4. I put everything back on and installed the KAOKO throttle lock, easy as pie.
5. Needed to gas up the bike, so I went for a short ride to test it out. It seems to work just as it should. I've never used a throttle lock before, so it will take a little getting used to.

The only issue now is that after being re-installed, with the allignment pin in the hole, the entire throttle/switch housing rotates a couple of millimeters if you jiggle it. I don't think it did that before, so I maty need to re-check the allignment.

All in all, once I saw what was going on, it only took about an hour, largely due to my never having removed some of these items before. I think I could do this install much more quickly if I were to do it again.

I hope that all made sense.

Also, I think Katherine's ides of just twisted and pulling would work, but I would want a second pair of hands to be sure the bike didn't fall over.
Eric

Thanks for the information. That is how I thought I would go at it. Did you have to use the copper shim that they provided with the KAOKO.

Wakane21

I got the twisted throttle cruise control right before a long trip and it worked GREAT!

It's easy to set, adjust, and over-ride when needed. It saved my right hand on the 3000 mile journey!

There were some difficulties (like needed 3 hands) during the instillation but by in large it was a quick set up.

Just thought I'd let folks know that it works really well and I would recommend it for those considering it for saving their right hands.

Top Bottom