Tick tock tick tock

Bike
bike#61=2010NT700,silver
Bought my 2010 NT with 800 miles on the odometer...now with 1300.....Love everything about the
Bike except the ticking sound of the motor....is this common??? If so I'll just get used to it but thought I'd ask if it's present in all NT'S........Thanks,..........lsd

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The plastic body work tends to magnify and funnel a lot of engine noise to the rider. Wearing ear plugs solves most of the problem. I would guess the ticking you hear is normal.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Bought my 2010 NT with 800 miles on the odometer...now with 1300.....Love everything about the
Bike except the ticking sound of the motor....is this common??? If so I'll just get used to it but thought I'd ask if it's present in all NT'S........Thanks,..........lsd
Assuming that the bike had the valve clearances checked at 600 miles and they were within the correct tolerances, and the bike doesn't have any serious drive-ability issuers, I wouldn't worry about the "ticking". The fuel injectors can make a similar ticking sound and with the bike's exhaust so quite, it wouldn't be unusual to hear them.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The only strange noise I hear out of my NT is the sound of the air going into the funnels inside the air box. It reminds of the jetson's flying car. I had gotten used to it and didn't think about it much until I went to Spearfish.. Those ST1300s have an even louder and higher pitched jetson's sound. I heard enough of that to make me like the way the NT sounds. :) Honestly, after 3 days of almost constant ST noise I even liked the way they sounded by the time I left Spearfish.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
I wouldn't worry about the tick tock sound. My bike, when new, sounded as though someone had dumped a handful of marbles into the top end of the engine. Now, at 3200 miles and after the 600 mile valve adjustment, things have quieted significantly.
Since you bought your bike used, is it possible to find out if the valve adjustment has been performed?

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I just turned 8300 hundred and did my valve adjust this weekend, had 2 intake and 2 exhayst valves SLIGHTLY out and dialed them in to perfect clearance. I was noticing a ticking in my motor to previous to the adjustment, and though quieter the slight ticking is still noticable. What every boby has mentioned rings true, and I had to laugh about the Jetson reference as I thought exactly that.

OP
OP
Bike
bike#61=2010NT700,silver
I wouldn't worry about the tick tock sound. My bike, when new, sounded as though someone had dumped a handful of marbles into the top end of the engine. Now, at 3200 miles and after the 600 mile valve adjustment, things have quieted significantly.
Since you bought your bike used, is it possible to find out if the valve adjustment has been performed?
Red.....they told me it had been checked...I have just 1300 miles as of now so I 'll wait for my next oil change and check it again....if that's the way it is I'll learn to live with it....love everything else........thanks

Top Bottom