Time to get up the Ikea trees.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Looking north from my roof, 2004. At an area of trees unkept by their owner. With most fires being caused by people, and living in a sea of tall dry grass and unkept forests, and with more and more people moving in over the last 30 years, fire is an issue...but the last 10 years have been exceptionally hot.....and trees use lots of water when its hot.......so far, my well has held up......
fire10.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting pic. 2005. We had been there 14 years. trees were still not that tall......at some point, fire must have covered our land......The two blue spruces that went over were not the only trees to fall in the 2015 windstorm. The Cemetaries with their huge ponderosa pines watered by the sprinkler system had shallow roots and blew over like match sticks. Many roads blocked and much power outage. Most of the trees I am now dropping are about 30 ft high now, give or take....I used to check the well head every spring....my 100 ft deep well in a wet spring might have only six feet from the ground level to the water level....in a dry spring, 15-20 ft. I am now afraid to check it. It still produces 16 gallons a minute at 45 psi for watering galpal's lawn.
a Dahlman's.JPG

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My guess is drought and bark beetles in combination causing mortality.

Yes, the chisel tooth chains cut quicker than the chipper tooth but they also become dull much faster. They work best on larger displacement saws (70cc+).
I am getting conflicting info on the H51 Husquavarna blade
Website says
A high-performance, low-vibration chain with square-corner "chisel" cutters for high-production cutting of clean wood. Round ground cutters an standard sequence. Recommended for professional use on 50cc to 100cc saws. (Description shows: # drive links / pitch / gauge)

Anothner official Husky site says
The corner of the cutters on a semi-chisel saw chain are slightly rounded. This helps the cutter keep its sharpness longer, especially when cutting hard or frozen wood, or when working in dirty surroundings, where a full chisel saw chain would quickly lose its sharpness.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
By 2013, it was clear that thinning needed to be stepped up
a 2013 thin.JPG

GalPal at least drags branches to chipper
barb2a.jpg

My adopted son helped me take down the tree in front of the light brown shed. Galpal blows so she can do it when I am gone.
barb1.jpg

2014 trim and drop in full swing....
2014 trim.JPG

Undocumented worker isnt much help...but works cheep!
2014 migrant labor.JPG

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
March 2017, we have a lake with nesting ducks!

a lake.JPG

My land has alot of lava from the Columbia volcano. No one is quite sure where the mima mounds came from but they are protected and the trees love them.
The soil can be six feet deep....

B13.JPG

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Summer 2018...Beacon hill fire.....
becon 1.jpg

Bless our fire fighters
airforce two.JPG

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
By 2019, I am taking out 15-20 trees a year
10.JPG

Undocumented tree trimmers prefer the non ponderosa trees
moose 2 fb.JPG

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just found this old pic....our house the year we purchased it circa 1991. We bought it from a widow who couldnt keep it up. It was in a sea of grass with a few trees on 15 acres. Over 30 years, a Ponderosa pine can grow 30 ft easy.....The weeds/grass burn very fast in a wild fire.....with wind.
2018-5.JPG

I think this was fire storm 1991.......gal pal watches the fire take off from a downed power line,,,,it missed our house but took out others

Fire1.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
One thing the fire dept was adament about was getting a chipper which I did years ago. Been using it alot. I use the chips for path mulch.
a chipper 2.jpg

Been splitting wood too. Getting ready for power outages during winter storms and watching the fire every night in the winter......
a splitter 2.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
t
That's a "high capacity assault reindeer", right? 😉
It is. The main thing is to not go pet the fuzzy big deer. And dont let the dogs out. At night, I sweep the property with high power led spotlights and look for glowing eyes.

Hey buddy, these mountain ash berries are bitter.....got a nice apple?
IMG_1171.JPG

Lots of creatures stalk the night
Haren 2 sm.jpg

kris one.jpg
Somehow, I just knew that was coming...
;)

Mike
No hoax here......temperary or not, man made or not, its here.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have been trying to save my ranch from fires yet to come and I have to say, the Huquavarna 20 in saw with the H51 I have made at least 40 cuts as you see here and it still cuts like a red hot bayonet through butter.....
a suv round.jpg

My 4 cylinder Hone- dah!!! SUV. Note smoke is mild today....had gal pal help me load up the rounds...too heavy for me
a hone dah.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom