Tire change question

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
If you are mounting a new tire, will the small, "emergency" compressors provide enough air at a high enough pressure to fully seat the tire bead in the wheel or do I need a "real" compressor?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
John, I'd be very surprised if my little 12V compressor would seat a tire bead. I think you're gonna' need something with some power.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with Phil.

The 12-volt compressor I have would probably suffer a meltdown if left ON long enough to fill a new tire. And even if it could fill the tire eventually (!), I'd wonder about it having enough capacity to "pop" the tire bead over those safety ridges on the rim. When I fill a new tire using my 20-gal Craftsman compressor, even with the special No-Mar grease on the tire bead, it still takes 45-50 pounds to get the bead fully seated.

The small pancake compressor ($40) from Harbor Freight might work OK.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If the bead is reasonably sealed against the rim after being pried on, there is no reason why a small compressor wouldn't do the job. Even the little guys have the ability to generate the PSI necessary to seat the bead (eventually). The problem that I usually have is that the bead is not seated well against the rim and some leakage occurs when trying to initially inflate the tire. For that job, you need the volume of air that only a shop compressor can provide. It's always best to remove the valve stem when doing this as it provides quite a bit of restriction to the volume of air needed to pop the bead into place.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It can be done but some tires have pretty stiff sidewalls and make it tough. Lords of lube and maybe straps along the tire or zip ties around tire/rim can work. Or, come on over and use my air compressor.

kenstone

I use a bigger version 12V pump, powered by my car/truck battery, and a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire.
These pumps are cheap enough to have one in each vehicle, can be found in most stores, even places like Home Depot, stocked as Christmas gifts and sold at deep discounts after the season.
+1 on lots of lube,
Ken

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I was taught to never go over 40 psi to seat a tire. What you need at times is lots of volume to get the sidewalls set. That volume is a problem with a small compressor. A cinch strap and some patience have gotten all the tires that have been changed in my back yard on with just a little pump. It is just easier with the volume you get with a tank. Always have the valve core out and fill and release a few times.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Mellow,

Well, I remember that in previous posts, you have offered help at your house. What I would like to do, if I may, is come over sometime when you are replacing some of your tires and spectate and learn to do this for myself.

My last real bit of tire replacing was about 45 years ago with tubes and spoked wheels. I was less than totally successful (pinched tubes come to mind.

I will even bring some of your favorite malt beverage.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, I remember that in previous posts, you have offered help at your house. What I would like to do, if I may, is come over sometime when you are replacing some of your tires and spectate and learn to do this for myself.

My last real bit of tire replacing was about 45 years ago with tubes and spoked wheels. I was less than totally successful (pinched tubes come to mind.
I don't have a lot of tube experience myself but as with most things there are little tricks.

Just shout at me when you need a tire change and we'll schedule something. I have a no mar tire changer and that helps make things nice and easy.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Like said before, yes, IF you can get a good seal. I use a ratcheting cargo strap around the tire and cinch it up good. That usually does the job just fine.

And, as above, the little ones would probably burn out before getting the 40-50 psi needed. In an emergency I would use a bunch of CO2 cartridges to get most of the volume filled and then go to the pump. It might work. And, yes, the cheap HF pancake compressor works fine, as do the truck type 12v compressors (even them you have to let cool down every 5 min).

And go down and get a gallon of NAPA tire lube. Well worth the money. Yeah, you can use dish soap or other stuff, but, the special stuff works much better and you don't have to worry about other issues (like rusting spokes or the bead forever stuck to the rim).

The hard part is breaking the bead. A bit of WD40 and a C clamp work most of the time.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
OK, I know you offered, but that still seems like an imposition. Thanks.
I've done over 300 tire changes for other guys on ST-Owners in the area including my own.. it's no big deal, as long as you give me a little notice you can just ride over and we'll change out your tires... no big deal, always happy to talk bikes.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Yes. Sort of an involved story. They medevaced me early Sept. My local Cardiologist cleared me to return to work/Saudi early Nov. Emailed complete packet to my insurance company. They forwarded it to local company doctor on Nov. 10th. It fell into a back hole, reportedly on his desk. The Saudis terminated my position in Dec. To be fair, I cannot blame them. While I am out, they cannot fill my position. Any other position I take would require a 6 months to one year commitment and I am unwilling to do that. So I retired a little early.

Top Bottom