Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
So in preparing to use my NT as a daily commuter (40 miles each way), the number of times I manually check air pressure will quickly become old each day (especially with a bad knee) and I was considering a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), additionally for safety when on the bike. I was eying the Tireguard system below, but apparently it isn't continuous, and I think I really want to be alerted while on the highway, at highway speeds and before the bike becomes unstable/wibbly-wobbly and the next thing I know I need a Doctor.

Does anyone have any experience with a TPMS and their NT? Any recommendations? Below is the list of systems I've found so far.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Note: Pressure Pro apparently has discontinued their system so the many results in Google won't help much now.

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitor-system.html

Tireguard - not the best reviews according to customers posting on webbikeworld, more like an occasional intermittent monitoring system. (Posted here as FYI)
http://www.compacc.com/p/tiregard-handlebar-mount-wireless-tire-pressure-monitoring-system
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tiregard-wireless-tpms/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/51972/i/orange-electronic-tire-pressure-monitoring-system

A startup.
http://www.gizmag.com/cycleat-motorcycle-bicycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/33108/

This one works with some Garmin GPS's apparently.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/sensors/tire-pressure-monitor-sensor/prod131744.html

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System/dp/B00G9ATWPY

Another startup - Fobo, a Bluetooth TPMS, although apparently not shipping until March 2015 at the earliest. The App is already there for smartphones.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fobo-tire-world-s-first-all-bluetooth-smart-tpms
https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fobo.tire

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have used the Orange Electronics TPMS system for the past several years and love it! You can find it on Amazon. Also search the TPMS threads here on the forum.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've used the Orange TPMS and have helped install a few of those - my experience is they are poor quality and many times a sensor or the main unit will fail. Doesn't happen to everyone, but has happened to me 3 times and several others I know of which is too much of a coincidence. The features are great and I wish other TPMS products would work as well from that point of view - you get a reading as soon as the sensor and main unit connect whereas most other monitors need you to be moving in order to activate and connect to that products' main unit.

Anything you screw on your valve stem should come with a warning - do not use unless you have metal valve stems - any type of weight will cause the rubber stems to crack / break.

For me the Doran is the best out there. I have the Garmin 590 GPS but I'm not sure I'll give their TPMS a try - integrating with the gps is pretty cool.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have the Hawks Head version. I did have one sensor break, but, it was because I dropped it while installing a new battery (it landed on the battery hold dowl and cracked it). Yes, metal valve stems are a must. FWIW, I got the Hawks Head because I can replace the batteries in them rather than buy new monitors. Will see how that goes. The do offer fixed units if you'd rather have them.

I LOVE the convenience of it and the ability to check tire press AND temp anytime as well as the alarms for low pressure. I like it even more since I can use it on my RV trailer. Really good peace of mind when running on hot days across the desert. FWIW, be prepared to see some interesting data. Like when your tires are in direct sunlight and temps go way over 100. Or the pressure change from below freezing when I go to work (like this morning) to this afternoon when I get home.

If I could justify the expense of a GPS unit with integrated TPMS I'd get one today.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My wife runs Garmin's TPMS that is integrated with the Zumo 590. It is quite nice. If you have the Zumo 590 already, it is relatively inexpensive add-on. The sensors are external (solid mount valve stems required). The batteries can be replaced and the sensors go into a "sleep" mode when stationary for a few minutes. They wake up when they sense any movement. That means simply rolling the bike backward/forward a few feet is enough to wake them up and grab a reading. The system also provides historical data on tire pressure changes which is a neat feature. The main downside (as side from requiring the Zumo 590) is that this is not a audible alarm, only a visual one).

I run the Doran system on my Wing. I've been running it for the last 80k miles. The sensors can be installed internally or externally. The sensor batteries are not replaceable. As long as the sensors are under pressure, they send out a signal every 6 minutes (they don't go to sleep). This can result in low life expectancy when compared to other units that go into a "sleep" mode. If you plan on storing the bike an extended period (lets say for the winter), removing the sensors from the valve stems will put the sensors to sleep and preserve battery life. My experience with sensor battery life is between 1.5 and 2 years leaving them continuously "plugged in". The display monitor is water proof (not all of the available TPMS monitors are), provides both visual and audible alarms, and had large readout for easy viewing. The Doran also has an option to place the monitor in a remote location and have a less intrusive indicator light be installed to visually alert the rider. Of course, this doesn't let you actually read the tire pressure but is an option for those that don't want additional "clutter" on their handlebars.

The downside to the Doran are the low wheel sensor life (they now cost $35 to replace, a pretty steep increase from $25/sensor just 2 years ago) and the bulkiness of the monitor. Overall, the Doran is an excellent product and over the last 80k miles (~ 4.5 years) I just replaced the sensors for the 2nd time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a Doran TPMS that I really need to get installed!

I've gone the cheap route and simply bought a valve cap that notes if the pressure drops below 36 psi, not perfect, but a green bar that is visible is easy to see and also easy to see if the psi has dropped below 36 psi.

Terry

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I've gone the cheap route and simply bought a valve cap that notes if the pressure drops below 36 psi, not perfect, but a green bar that is visible is easy to see and also easy to see if the psi has dropped below 36 psi.

Terry
I do not have the above system personally, but there have been discussions on other forums about problems with it.

Don't recall what the problems were, I would watch the caps closely.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I don't know what would be a good make. However I can tell you that they are well worth having. I would never have purchased a TPMS or cruise control, I didn't get it. But both are standard on my Trophy and I'm now a believer.

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Awesome, thank you for the info. and feedback on existing guys! I'm looking at either the Doran or the FOBO most likely, but first I need metal valve stems.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just in case you are looking at switching to 90 degree metal valve stems, there is not enough space to run them on the front wheel AND install a valve mounted TPMS sensor. The additional length of the sensor will have clearance issues with the calipers.

Plenty of room on the rear. For the front, you'll need to go with a straight stem. :)

Awesome, thank you for the info. and feedback on existing guys! I'm looking at either the Doran or the FOBO most likely, but first I need metal valve stems.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rob, I've got a 90-degree stem on the front that's aligned parallel with the wheel and I think (and hope!) there's room to install the Doran sensor on it with no interference with the brake rotors. If it was pointing to the side, there'd definitely be interference.

OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Would be interested to hear how that installation goes Phil and your thoughts on the system.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Gabe, I'll post a review when I get it mounted. And I WILL get it mounted before too long. Honest. I will. I'm determined.

Of course, I'm still a Procrastinator.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Well, it depends on the how high your "90" degree stems are. I use these

They are 83 degree stems and they are not tall enough to allow you to install wheel sensors when aligned parallel with the rim. The Doran wheel sensor is pretty "fat" (circumference) to fit on valve stems in that orientation. I couldn't even get the Garmin wheel sensors on in that orientation and they are significantly more slim than the Dorans.

If the stems you are using are very tall, you may have a chance but they would need to be pretty tall due to that center rib and the large circumference of those sensors. :(

Rob, I've got a 90-degree stem on the front that's aligned parallel with the wheel and I think (and hope!) there's room to install the Doran sensor on it with no interference with the brake rotors. If it was pointing to the side, there'd definitely be interference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Ordered the FOBO Bike system... uses an existing smartphone and 2 wheel sensors... no special wiring, mounting tricks or accessories needed, and I use my smartphone in a holder as my GPS anyway. The only downside is I don't get the unit until at least April... but I can hold out that long. At $65, it's also a steal... (pre-order price) and with battery-replacable sensors that are supposed to last approximately 2 years.

I'll report back with a review when they eventually ship.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE

​Product Description:​
​​FOBO Bike works directly with your smartphone to provide the cool features that comes with FOBO Tire. FOBO BIke is designed to cater for two wheel vehicles (motorcycles and bicycles) with tire pressure below 600kPa(87psi). FOBO Bike is the world’s first all Bluetooth Smart advanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for two wheelers and three wheelers. FOBO Bike uses the latest Bluetooth 4.0 that works directly with your Android and iOS device. The main function of FOBO Bike is to monitor the air pressure and temperature of two wheelers & three wheelers like motorcycles, Can-Am Spider, bicycles. It then transmits the readings to a smart phone where the user can browse. The user can set upper and lower thresholds of the air pressure. FOBO Bike will monitor the pressure based on the thresholds with its smart algorithm and will provide three levels of alerts when the thresholds are breached.​​ FOBO Bike works round-the-clock to ensure your tires stay properly inflated. FOBO Bike does not need an external power source. It comes with batteries included which last up to two years and are easily replaceable (battery type - CR2032).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gabe

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
You know I tried to order the T-valves, but the website wouldn't carry it into checkout and wouldn't order it separately despite being in my cart, a bug on their end to be sure. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for T-valves. The sensors look pretty low-profile compared to other systems (one of the reasons I went with this one), though I want to measure them first anyway and see how high they are. A T-valve may get them too close to the front brake rotor, though I wonder if there are other styles of T-Valves too, like the 83 degree stems posted above.

Top Bottom