Tire replacement using the zip-tie method...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Before winter departs OH, I'll have to change 2 tires and have been watching the YouTube videos on using zip-ties to ease tire removal/installation. It looks pretty simple plus I have a homemade tire machine to hold the wheel securely so that should make it easier than doing it on the garage floor.

Has anyone done this and have any additional tips?

ps. I've already bought a pack of the extra-long zip-ties at Harbor Freight as recommended by WVRider.

Bike
Red NT
Hit up a reputable auto parts store and buy a gallon of real tire lubricant. Not windex, not some dollar store spray cleaner, real what its made for tire lube. 3 motion pro tire irons and a set of rim protectors. Tried the "zip tie" thing many many years ago and I guess its a viable way of doing it but I have a manual Coats 220 and its just as easy and quicker to secure the rim and either spoon it on with irons or better yet, use a No-Mar bar and put the tire on. I'm to the point after so many tire changes that I dont fight with tires going on the rims anymore. Once you get the method down, tire bead always in the drop center of the rim 180 degrees from where you are working, things generally go well.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I posted about zip ties a few months ago, since then I've changed up my method quite a bit.

For removal I don't use zip ties or spoons. I'll pull the valve core to let the air out and then cut the tire in half down the center using hook blades loaded into a utility knife. I break the bead on on side, flip the curve of that tire half upwards and then pull that half off by hand. Then break the bead on the other half and pull it off by hand as well.

I found the zip tie method really only advantageous for the front tire install as it's a slim enough profile. The rear is just too much bulk to deal with, and last time I ended up just using irons for half of the tire and cut the zip ties off. I just been using irons and rim protectors on the rear tire on the past couple changes.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I tried zip ties on NT tires, not much luck. The Motion pro rim protectors are ok, but I had better luck cutting some rim protectors from washer fluid jugs, just cut a few rectangular pieces about 3 x 6 inches and move them around with the spoons. Warm the tire in the sun on a paved driveway if possible, or in the cold I put the tire inside an empty trash can laying on its side, with a forced air heater in front of it for an hour. NAPA sells a tire lube called Ru-Glyde that works well.

The hardest part of the job is getting the second bead to cooperate. I put 3-4 ratcheting wood clamps on the tire, opposite the side I'm spooning on, to get the second bead in the rim low spot, if the tire is sufficiently warmed the struggle is not too bad, otherwise it's a pain.

Brad

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I agree, that getting some proper tire/rim lube helps a lot. I got a bucket of lube from North40 that works well. I found the motion pro rim protectors to be somewhat awkward. I made my own that work a lot better. Get a package of plastic sheet cutting board protectors from Walmart. Cut them into 5" squares, and insert them between the tire and the rim. Insert the tire iron between the plastic sheet and the tire. I install several plastic protectors around the rim before I start removing the tire.

Top Bottom