To Powerlet or Cigarette?

Okay, I acknowledge that the Powerlet socket is superior. However as a practical matter, which is the way to go?

I like Katherine's idea of mounting a Cigarette socket in the saddlebag and I'm going to that route. The fairing pockets are another matter. I can see arguments for going either way.

Also, I intend on running everything through a Fuzeblock - switched source. Is there an argument to be made for running at least one straight source?

Attachments

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Here's what I did both for my ST's Trunk and Saddlebag - yes, I was sweating cutting into the saddlebag.

----------------------------------------

I wanted to have the option of riding with or without my top box
and I have a powerlet bulkhead kit already hooked up to it so I wanted to take advantage of that.

Here's the bulkhead kit - connected directly to the battery w/fuse and
connectors to make them easy to connect/disconnect - click the
picture to go to the powerlet site.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...-power-kit/288

I looked all over the saddlebag and found one spot that appeared like it would work.

I used the retaining ring that came with the kit as a template for
cutting the plastic.

I took a deep breath and plugged in the dremel too.

The bulkhead part of the kit.

I don't feel it's really needed but I did add some RTV sealant
just to ensure no leaks.

Put the screws in.

Install retainer ring and locknuts and tighten.

Now you can hook up whatever powerlet adapters you have, the kit
comes with an SAE and standard cig lighter connector.

View from outside.

I routed the battery connection over from the battery to the left
side of the bike.

I routed the wire down the frame and also made sure to leave some slack.

You can now look up power to the saddlebag using a secure and watertight connection.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That gives me the option to run anything via a cig lighter end.... I also have a powerlet in my fairing for keeping the bike on a battery tender so I get the best of both worlds.

CoolNT

Armando, I just ordered the Fuzeblocks and am going the powerlet (low profile) route in the lockable glove box with a 48" lead going to the fuzeblock. Will also use a powerlet to cigarette (10" lead) in the glove box to use with my small electronics.

Another powerlet item I'm looking at is the sport bike rear setup where you have a cigarette socket with leads that will be connected to the fuzeblock. I'll then run the original Magellan plug wire to the powerlet cig socket under the seat.

I think my GPS will be switched while my cell charger will be constant (I won't be w/o my cell phone for long). I still need to figure out what to do about a socket for the pillion. I'm not too big on drilling holes in the tupperware.

Ron

CoolNT

That gives me the option to run anything via a cig lighter end.... I also have a powerlet in my fairing for keeping the bike on a battery tender so I get the best of both worlds.
Boy, that's seems to be like a huge undertaking. Very nice work though. Gives you lotsa a room to grow.

Attachments

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Boy, that's seems to be like a huge undertaking. Very nice work though. Gives you lotsa a room to grow.
It just looks bad... when you look at the actual work, it's simply connecting the powerlet power lead to the battery and then marking / cutting some plastic.. pretty simple.. it's just makes you nervous cutting any plastic - especially the expensive parts.

I also did the same thing with my Givi topcase. So I can charge my phone there and lock it up.

CoolNT

I like the top box idea as I have a Givi e55. Do you also use the SAE connector to the top case and simply unplug when removing the top case?

elizilla

Since the side cases are integrated on the NT, they don't come off, you don't need to do the bulkhead thing to put power in them. I just drilled a hole and installed a normal panel mount cig lighter in mine. But if you want power in a topcase, that is a good way to go. I actually have a worn out tankbag with a bulkhead like that, which I have only saved so I could pull that part off before I pitch it. Maybe I'll move it to my topcase. I could then put a powerlet somewhere on the tail of the bike, where a passenger could plug in their jacket to it, and when they aren't doing that I could plug the topcase into the same powerlet. Elegant multi-purpose farkles, woohoo!

CoolNT

Awesome idea, I like that. See, this is an amazing site with a bunch of amazing folks.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Since the side cases are integrated on the NT, they don't come off, you don't need to do the bulkhead thing to put power in them. I just drilled a hole and installed a normal panel mount cig lighter in mine. But if you want power in a topcase, that is a good way to go. I actually have a worn out tankbag with a bulkhead like that, which I have only saved so I could pull that part off before I pitch it. Maybe I'll move it to my topcase. I could then put a powerlet somewhere on the tail of the bike, where a passenger could plug in their jacket to it, and when they aren't doing that I could plug the topcase into the same powerlet. Elegant multi-purpose farkles, woohoo!
Thanks, I don't know much about how all the plastic goes together on the NT so I wasn't sure if that would be useful or not or how easy it is to get to things.

elizilla

Thanks, I don't know much about how all the plastic goes together on the NT so I wasn't sure if that would be useful or not or how easy it is to get to things.
Here's a photo. Look near the top, just right of center in the picture, you can see the red wire going into a sort of knob. That's the backside of a cig lighter plug whose business end is in my left saddlebag. There's enough space for several of them there, and you don't even have to take anything apart to drill the hole. Maybe I'll add a powerlet as well. :) There's a comparable spot on the right saddlebag.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Here's a photo. Look near the top, just right of center in the picture, you can see the red wire going into a sort of knob. That's the backside of a cig lighter plug whose business end is in my left saddlebag. There's enough space for several of them there, and you don't even have to take anything apart to drill the hole. Maybe I'll add a powerlet as well. :) There's a comparable spot on the right saddlebag.
Cool!.. thanks.

CoolNT

That's cool BUT the idea of drilling into the bike's plastics gives me the unsettling feeling.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Mellow,

When you plug from the bike to the saddle bag, is that conection watertight?
Yes, it's an SAE connection. I've ridden in many downpours and have never had any issues with that.

OP
OP
Bloodthune
That's cool BUT the idea of drilling into the bike's plastics gives me the unsettling feeling.
"Just put down that drill and step away from the expensive bike." Yeah, I had that feeling, but as Mellow said in another post, "Farkle Nirvana" takes over.

elizilla

"Just put down that drill and step away from the expensive bike." Yeah, I had that feeling, but as Mellow said in another post, "Farkle Nirvana" takes over.
The first hole you drill is terrifying. I got out my drill, measured again and again, put down the drill, stared at the bike, then went inside to look at the forum and dither. Then I went back out an hour later, stared at the bike some more, then came back in to have a snack and dither. It took me most of the weekend to summon the courage to drill that hole.

But once you get started, you can't stop, and pretty soon the bodywork looks like swiss cheese. :)

I suggest starting with a piece that isn't too expensive. Put a farkle hole into a fairing pocket cover or a tipover wing; they are cheap to replace if you don't get it quite right.

Top Bottom