Took my scoot a 150 miles out in the ocean..

Bike
2011 NT700v
That was after I went across a hundred mile river. I ended up at mile marker 0 in Key West. First real distance I've done on my NT. Total trip was just over 500 miles. It performed beautifully.

Here's a farkle critique.

The gel pads on the cramp busters worked great. I used the throttle side on the way down and put one on the other for the way back as I noticed a difference. No hand fuzzy's at all, never shook my hand once.

This is the first chance I've had to try out my Throttlemeister. I'd like to buy that guy a drink. Works far better than I thought. In conjunction with the cramp buster that's a good deal. I was on single lane scenic highways so my speeds varied.

Here's a picture of the smallest post office in the US. It sits in the middle of the everglades.
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=346&attachmentid=6284

I still think my seat could use some help. I'm into suggestions.

It was Sunny humid and hot in the early afternoon going down the keys. I tried out one of my fishing shirts from Columbia that incorporates some kind of special fabric that cools you off. I figured if it works in my flats boat out on the water, it should breathe well on the bike. It has side gills as well as a back vent, spf 30 and made for hot weather. It performed as expected. I was cool, never hot. http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Airgill-Chill%E2%84%A2-Long-Sleeve-Shirt/FM7186,default,pd.html Those gills really work.

I had a good time. The single mindedness of driving is a great virtue.

fltsfshr

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Russell Day Long Saddle. You can spend less, you might even be able to spend more. You can get saddles that (to some people) look better. I don't think you can get one that works better.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Unless you like the idea of sitting on a 2X6 with a thin vinyl cover stay away from Corbin. I don't know what has happened with their seats but the Corbin for the NT was the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had the displeasure of sitting on...it belonged in a medieval torture museum.

What is odd about the Corbin for the NT is the Corbin Gun Fighter on my FJ1200 is very comfortable. I guess it varies greatly by model / design / age / phase of the moon.....

I was assigned at Key West in 78-79 as part of the 31st Air Defense Artillery (ADA) Brigade (HHB, 1st Missile Battalion (HAWK) 65th Air Defense Artillery). The Overseas Highway was a real PITA to drive on then, especially the old Seven Mile Bridge! Defending tourists against Castro was tough duty, but somebody had to do it....:D

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
I was assigned at Key West in 78-79 as part of the 31st Air Defense Artillery (ADA) Brigade (HHB, 1st Missile Battalion (HAWK) 65th Air Defense Artillery). The Overseas Highway was a real PITA to drive on then, especially the old Seven Mile Bridge! Defending tourists against Castro was tough duty, but somebody had to do it....:D
HaHa I was assigned there too. That's how I found here. I was stationed on Boca Chica hq company in 1968. I had a Yamaha 305. Drove that over those crummy old bridges many times. It's lots nicer now. Came back in the 70's, been around here ever since.

I like this place.

fltsfshr

Very interesting. I rode my BMW to Key West from Kentucky and the only way you could see the Navy Base and the Missile Site was to ride the Conch Train, which I did. That was in 1965. I might be getting old. I even rode on the beach at Marco Island, nothing was there except a missile tracking station and a seafood restaurant. I understand it is very built up now days. Oh the good ole days.

tawilke46

Stationed at Homestead AFB 1967 to 1969. Had a Suzuki X-6 Hustler back then.
My buddies and I rode all over southern Florida, had a blast. No worries, no responsibilities.
Work on F-4's and have fun.

Kevin Gunter

I have a bill Mayer saddle. Came with the bike so I cannot compare to the original, but I find it very comfortable.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
These things will ride on water?
Sure, all you need is the optional wide tires and rims, that hold extra gas, to provide flotation. Just like the old Rokon motorcycles. Unfortunately like most Deauville / NT accessories Honda chose not to offer them here so you will need a European source...:rolleyes1:

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
+1 on Wayne's comment on the Corbin on the NT. The Corbin was the worst seat I've ever had on a bike, and it's not even close.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Russell. Russell. Russell. Russell! RUSSELL!!

It's the solution to your saddle problems.

OP
OP
fltsfshr
Bike
2011 NT700v
I was just looking at them and trying to figure out this order sheet.
Thanks Phil for the advice.
:)

fltsfshr

slider

Sure, all you need is the optional wide tires and rims, that hold extra gas, to provide flotation. Just like the old Rokon motorcycles. Unfortunately like most Deauville / NT accessories Honda chose not to offer them here so you will need a European source...:rolleyes1:
Maybe so but I'm still not going to try to take it 150 miles out in the ocean. :)

Top Bottom